Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Im in need of some new authors to read Please!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2008 8:14:49 AM PST
I Love reading the Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I have read one book by Joanne Fluke it was good and plan to read more of her.

I have tried to read Kellerman Jonathon and Faye both and got into a couple of the books but it takes like what seems forever to read them. I also tired to read Isenberg too.

I guess i like the more lighthearted mystery books. If there is such a thing.

I am looking for ideas on more authors to try. Thanks for you help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 8:27:22 AM PST
Kim Beasley says:
I love Lisa Gardner, they are great from page one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 8:27:35 AM PST
Kim Beasley says:
I love Lisa Gardner, they are great from page one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 8:31:27 AM PST
Thanks Kim Beasley, I will check her out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 8:40:27 AM PST
Hi, if you're interested in trying new authors, look at Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award (www.amazon.com/abna) the downloads are free and they have a `Mystery, Thriller & Suspense' category. Have a look at my other post about ABNA in this forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 8:58:47 AM PST
Michael Boyd says:
Looking for a new author of lighthearted mysteries? I'm as new as they come, an ABNA semifinalist who could sure use some reviews. How about a suspense novel set in Hawaii? It features an ex-Navy pilot--now an airline pilot and single mom--who suffers from panic attacks. To see the full description and read the opening chapters, please go to:

Medusa's Daughter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00124COR0

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 10:00:38 AM PST
Valarie c says:
I have read all of Evanovich's books, even the romantic type mostly because I just like her. Plum series where better than the rest. I then went on to Sue Grafton who has a more serious approach, and the writing is about on par.
If you are looking for some of the silliness of Evanovich, with a character who is a good 20 years older than Stephanie you should go with Selma Eichler. Her writing isn't as strong as Evanovich's but her character Desiree Shapiro is just as enduring.
The best 2 authors I saved for last. First is J.A. Jance and her Beaumont series. The writing is intense and you often wonder where did she come up with that story line. Things are really not too graphic with the crime scene you have all the information you need without being distracted by the images you have in your head with other authors.
The last is the most recent I have just discovered , thanks to Amazon is Marcia Muller and her Sharon McCone series.
Both women are on the serious side and both are incredible writers. I am worried I will not find another like either one of the last too, much like I felt after I read all of Evanovich's work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 11:00:34 AM PST
I love Janet Evanovich. I would recommend Sarah Stromeyer's Bubbles series. Very funny. Bubbles is a hair dresser trying to make it as a reporter. I really enjoyed them.
Happy Reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 11:28:29 AM PST
If you are looking for fairly new authors to read I know of one. T. M. Cole has a book out. It is the first in a series. This one is called A Slip In Time: The Book Of Eventide. It is a mystery of sorts that combines science and the supernatural. I really enjoyed reading it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 1:29:54 PM PST
Hi Kimberly,
I'll be shameless and suggest my own mystery book, A REAL BASKET CASE. It's gotten good reviews from Booklist, Kirkus, and various Amazon readers. The action begins when gift basket designer Claire Hanover's massage therapist is shot and falls dead in her lap and her husband is accused of the crime. It features a plucky amateur sleuth and a fair amount of situational humor. It's a hardcover book, so if that's too pricey for you, see if your library has it. Quite a few do. If not, request that your library get a copy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 3:35:50 PM PST
S. A. M. says:
Hi Kimberly,

If you are looking for more lighthearted mystery books ( the kind I love, too! ) I have a few suggestions for you.

Jaine Austen Mystery Series by LAURA LEVINE ( GREAT sense of humor! )

Candy Shop Mysteries by SAMMI CARTER

Ophelia And Abby Mysteries by SHIRLEY DAMSGAARD

Jane Stuart And Winky by MARSHALL EVANS ( will need to by used - not published anymore )

Trailer Park Mysteries by JIMMIE RUTH EVANS

Advice Column Mysteries by ROBERTA ISLEIB ( New series could not put down - check its reviews on Amazon! )

Kendra Ballantyne Mysteries by LINDA O JOHNSTON ( Mysteries involving animals )

Haunted Bookshop Mysteries by ALICE KIMBERLY ( There is a ghost, but nicely done! )

Getting Old Mysteries by RITA LAKIN

Bear Collector's Mysteries by JOHN LAMB ( more on the serious side, but not too serious! )

Savannah Reid Mysteries by G.A.MCKEVETT

Lucy Stone Mysteries by LESLIE MEIER

Casey Jones Mysteries by KATY MUNGER ( only 5 in the series, will have to buy used but really good! )

Jenny T. Partridge Dance Mysteries by NATALIE M. ROBERTS ( new and really good )

Horse Lover's Mysteries by MICHELE SCOTT

Mommy-Track Mysteries by AYELET WALDMAN

Pauline Sokol Mystery Series by LORI AVOCATO

Melanie Travis Mysteries by LAURIEN BERENSON

Flower Shop Mystery Series BY KATE COLLINS

Coffeehouse Mysery Series by CLEO COYLE

High Crime Meets High Fashion Mystery Series bt GEMMA HALLIDAY

Psychic Eye Mystery Series by VICTORIA LAURIE

and one that is more than a little cozy that is not too serious and has great sarcastic wit is the Andy Carpenter Series by DAVID ROSENFELT.

Happy researching!

Stephanie

Sorry for the long list :o) Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 3:53:28 PM PST
K. R. says:
Hi Kimberly.
Try "The Spellman Files: A Novel" by Lisa Lutz , I think every bit as funny as Stephanie Plum books, with new Spellman book out in March '08

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2008 5:49:42 AM PST
Dear Kimberly:
Can't get any newer than my husband's first novel, Improved Lies. Just out, it's a legal murder mystery set in Mid-Michigan. The Cinci Enquirer calls it "A fresh look at the classic suspense novel." The Jamaica Gleaner says "Easy to imagine as a Hollywood thriller. No doubt Kennedy can write."

As the author's wife I am of course partial, but I am confident you will find Improved Lies fresh,funny,and engrossing. It'll keep you guessing right to the end.
Best:
Shelley Kennedy

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2008 7:33:27 AM PST
Kimberly,
Couple of authors to try:
Nancy Atherton - Aunt Dimity series
MC Beaton - Agatha Raison or Hamish Macbeth series
Hazel Holt - Shiela Mallory series
Karen Mac Inerney - Murder on the Rocks and Dead and Berried (Grey Whale Inn series)
Rett MacPherson - Misty Mourning, Died in the Wool
Sharyn McCrumb - The Elizabeth MacPherson novels; Missing Susan, Winsor Knot
Dorothy Gilman - Thale's Folly

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2008 11:14:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2008 1:31:06 PM PST
I enjoyed Janet Evanovich too, but how about trying something entirely different, a good old cozy British mystery like "Sir Philip Wild and the Emerald Necklace" by Miranda Windle.

The main locations of this aristocratic mystery novel are in a luxury Canadian hotel, a baronial castle that resembles the historic Bans Spring Hotel (now a Fairmont hotel), and the world-famous, beautiful Lake Louise. See reviews, description, author biography, and chapter excerpt of this book to see if it would suit you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2008 1:45:31 PM PST
Hi, Kimberly. Since you asked and you like Evanovich ... Brenda Edde, reviewer at Romance Junkies wrote my book The Bodyguard and the Show Dog is "a laugh-a-minute story in the best Janet Evanovich style." Hope you don't mind this BSP!

Christy

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2008 4:30:35 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 8, 2011 8:48:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 9:19:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2008 9:20:00 AM PST
I would love to say thank you to everyone for all the suggestions! I now have a huge list but not to worry i read really fast. These seem to be just what i was looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 4:55:32 PM PST
Hi, Kimberly:
If you'd like to add one more mystery series to your list, may I humbly suggest my Charlotte LaRue Series. Charlotte is a 60-something year-old maid who cleans those big old mansions in the New Orleans Garden District and just happens to solve murders as well. WASH AND DIE (#7) is the most recent book in the series and is available for pre-order now. Publishers Weekly, Library Journel, and Kirkus have all given it great reviews. But, no matter what you read, hope you enjoy.
"Keep it Clean!"
Barbara Colley

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 5:01:56 PM PST
Jon McGo says:
Hi Kimberly,
At the risk of being shamelessly self-promotional (a risk I'm obviously willing to take) I'd like to suggest my Madison Cross forensic series. Body Trace came out in 2006, Blood Poison in 2007 and the third, Freezer Burn, is due out in june 2008, all from Berkley/Penguin.
Apologies for the shamelessness and thanks for the consideration.
D. H. Dublin

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 8:59:39 PM PST
Hi,
Try Erlene Fowler. Lighhearted, well written, stories take place on the central coast of CA. C

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 9:07:14 PM PST
Dear Kimberly,

I know you have been bombarded by readers and authors. I hope that I am not the straw that broke the proverbial "camel's back" but I think my novel, Precedent of Justice, sounds like something you might enjoy.

I wrote it expressly for people like you who were tired of heavy reads. Of course it has the mystery and suspense, but I added a great deal of humor and real-life elements. I like characters who are everyday people who make real mistakes. Those who have read it so far tell me it's been hard to put down.

I would also suggest an author by the name of J.A. Konrath. He mixes in quite a bit of humor in his stories as well, but the villains can be gruesome at times. I hope this helps in some way. Thank you for your time.

Patrick

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 3:39:20 AM PST
Eric A. Webb says:
Well, I'm looking for readers for my ABNA excerpt; feel free to give my stuff a try. -Eric

http://www.myspace.com/ericwebbjourneyman

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 12:25:12 PM PST
Check out Carl Hiassen and John D. MacDonald.

MacD. is deceased and did most of his writing in the '70's, but he has great characters, dialog and plots. They're quick thrilling reads and he wrote a lot of them. Also, you can't go wrong with Raymond Chandler.

Bill Loehfelm
ABNA semi-finalist, "Fresh Kills" (mystery/suspense/thriller)
amazon.com/dp/B00121WDJM

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 2:02:34 PM PST
Hi Kimberly,

I'm a writer, and I was looking on my Amazon site and saw you were looking for some new authors to read. I've written 2 books. Both are mystery novels. The first book is called "Hippie Hollow - Murder on a Nude Beach" and the second, the second in a 3 part series is, "The Armadillo Whisperer" and has arrived just today. Both books are set in Austin, Texas. The third is set in Taos, New Mexico and San Francisco, and I am writing it right now.

The protagonist is a rodeo cowboy turned private eye. Do an Amazon search for "Hippie Hollow" and you can read more about it. I've read quite a bit of Evanovich and also like Tony Hillerman. Check him out if you haven't read that author.

Good luck,

Denniger Bolton
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 50 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  727
Total posts:  1243
Initial post:  Jan 18, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 65 customers

Search Customer Discussions