Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Books similar to J.D. Robb's "In Death" series?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 4, 2012 8:10:21 PM PDT
Mary Kate says:
I like the mix of police/detective work, humor, a bit of romance... Prefer a series, but stand-alones work as well. Suggestions? (If there's already a thread for this topic, I'd appreciate a link - thanks!)

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:40:46 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Oh, I wish.

"in Death" is unparalleled in my reading experience. It has started to fade, somewhat, with the 40+ book in the series but I still believe nothing else compares.

Maybe this thread will lead us both to series for similar enjoyment if not replacements of Robb's work.

Hope so.

DL

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 5:56:49 AM PDT
DL...What you said. There is nothing to compare this series, nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 6:01:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 6:05:45 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
I've read most of the books at least a dozen times each. (I don't really care for any of them after "Treachery" which is one of my favorites.)

I'm suffering from some vision/neurological issues which has caused my, um, focus to scatter. My typical non-fiction reading is almost impossible. I'm reading mysteries at least 1/day. However, for comfort, when my inability to focus makes even a new mystery a challenge, I head for the "in Death" shelf of my library. I've read them so much I've almost memorized them and, it seems, I don't have to use my eyes as much to "read" them again!

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 6:36:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 6:36:49 AM PDT
DL....Sorry about your vision issues, I hope that improves for you! Thank goodness for the ability to change the font too, right?
I know, as I said nothing compares to the ID series, especially the beginning of the series. They are totally comfort reads, I never tire of them either.

Posted on May 9, 2013 9:40:45 AM PDT
6217jmc says:
I too am in love the In Death series and when I had read all the books, I started looking for another similiar series to read inbetween new books being published. I found a great series like In Death. Similiar elements we all love with In Death series except instead of a detective, she is a medical examiner who goes beyond the signs the body gives to assist in identifying the killer. Regular characters and Benton, who is a lot like Roarke, minus the gazillionaire status. The Scarpetta series is written by Patricia Cornwell. I have read all the books in this series now and looking for another "like" series, this is how I came across this thread.

Posted on May 13, 2013 6:22:40 AM PDT
Try Kathy Reichs if you like the TV show "Bones". Has a series maybe Bones or Temperance Brennan series. Lots in her series and have loved everyone!

There is an author can't remember name but you may be able to search for series...Detective Warren series...if you find them I think you will enjoy. Good luck

Posted on May 13, 2013 6:23:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 13, 2013 6:29:32 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2013 5:12:46 PM PDT
Lisa Gardner writes the Detective Warren books

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 10:12:10 AM PDT
Also try Tess Gerritsen if you like the TV show Rizzoli

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2013 10:13:04 AM PDT
I absolutely love love love Patricia Cornwell too. She had a book come out earlier this year that I devoured.

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 5:12:57 PM PDT
Cleosmom says:
There's a couple of authors that might interest you:

Dianne Mott Davidson-she writes about a chef that keeps finding bodies
Tess Gerritsen-Rizoli and Ives series

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 3:47:17 PM PDT
J.W. Cooper says:
I ran across one a few weeks ago that reminded me a lot of Robb - Roberts.
Jada Ryker, only one book listed but the one I read showed that it was the first in a series.
You may also be interested in Faith Hunters's, Jane Yellowrock's series if you like paranormal.

Posted on Oct 28, 2014 9:16:40 AM PDT
Astha Kapoor says:
I have just started reading Flirting With Danger, the first in the series by Suzanne Enoch.

OMG, guys, even though I know I know that no other series is ever gonna have the same elements as In Death, I still really like this one. I had been trolling this page for recommendations before, and I just read a line by the female character that made me go, "Holy heck, I have to tell everyone else, this is a lot like In Death!"

The woman is Sam, a thief (like Roarke--thief with scruples, doesn't kill, blah blah). The guy is Richard (Rick), an uber-rich Brit. She once thinks that "he could buy a country".

She doesn't trust easily, and in the beginning he is also suspicious of her. But do you guys remember how Eve said "It was like being hit by a brick" about seeing Roarke for the first time? It was kinda like that for these two.

I have three characters who I think might me recurring secondary characters. There is wit, and spontaneous one-liners.

I just read this about Sam:

Sam stood and burrowed back into the massive closet, which seemed to have given birth to even more clothes overnight.

Sound familiar?

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 6:31:53 PM PDT
I started the Nikki Heat series by "Richard Castle". I am a huge fan of the show Castle and am very glad that I enjoy the books, so far, just as much! Not quite the same elements that In Death has but I am really enjoying them. I am almost finished with the second book (average reading time 5 days) and have already ordered the third book in the series! I read 43 In Death books in just under a year, I was completely hooked! I even e-mailed their contact e-mail to see how long they were planning on continuing the series into the future. The response I got was that Nora Roberts plans on continuing the series 'indefinitely' producing two novels each year. I was very happy that I not only received a response but that the books as of now did not have a specific end date.
Sadly, the Nikki Heat book series does not contain as many books as the In Death series. I think that is part of the reason I loved the books so much, I always was able to order the next during my reading binges. I am still on the look-out for another series that is similar to In Death, but do not think I will find one anytime soon.

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 1:47:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2015 1:48:26 PM PDT
lili says:
To me, one of the charms of In Death is the relationships (romances and other) that Eve has. I get drawn in her personal life as well as her professional life. I also like how the books (due to being futuristic) are not as focussed on issues relating to race or sexual orientation. Eve is great while at the same time not really standing out from her peers in terms of personal views. The Scarpetta series (after reading the wikipedia blurb about it) doesn't seem to develop the same level of relationships. The main character keeps moving around between places and people. Also, it being set slightly in the past makes me think it will get bogged down in racism and what not. The main character would have to go against her time's norms in order to be relatable. Or maybe I just don't want to raise my hopes :/

Posted on Jul 22, 2015 2:19:01 PM PDT
Steph says:
I know you all love In death series that you read.

I have been listening to them in Audible. Anyone else?
the narrator is freaking amazing and if you like the series you should listen to them all in audible. Susan Erickson is unbelievable. SO GOOD! I found this thread because I am also nearing the end and I don't know what to dooooooooo I need more audio book sot listen to on my commute. I ate up all these books so fast!

I will just have to keep looking for another series to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2015 3:01:46 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Yes, I've listened to a few of them. I agree, she's a wonderful narrator and perfect for the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2015 10:58:37 PM PDT
Absolutely agree! Susan Erickson is amazing. Love her. Love Robb. Love Roarke!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2015 9:40:46 PM PST
Theatretracy says:
Agree!!! She is AMAZING!! I fell in love with the series all over again!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Oct 4, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions