Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Mysteries set in the 1920's/ 1930's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 86 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 19, 2008 4:55:40 PM PDT
I just finished "Ghost of a Chance" ( second book in a mystery series by author Amy Patricia Meade.-The character is a feisty, witty female set in Connecticut / 1930's. I adore this time period and would like to explore new authors with similar style. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2008 5:15:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2008 8:10:40 AM PDT
Condorena says:
Jacqueline Winspear Maisie Dobbs Series
Charles Todd Ian Rutledge Series
Suzanne Arruda Jade Del Cameron Series
All of these take place shortly after WWI , of course, early Agatha Christie, Josephine Tey and Georgette Heyer and other wrote during this period as well. Another author just came out with her first book Nicola Upson's An Expert in Murder takes place in 1930's London

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2008 5:18:56 PM PDT
lifewontwait says:
I highly recommend the early Margery Allingham books featuring Albert Campion, anything by Ngaio Marsh, and of course Dorothy Sayers. They are not only set in the time period you love, they were written then.
Georgette Heyer's mysteries (not her Regencies) also have that setting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2008 9:37:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2008 9:38:28 PM PDT
Rhys Bowen's Lady Georgiana series takes place in the early 1930's in England. Lady G. is an engaging character (34th in line to the British throne, no less :). She's caught in a rather delicate position; she has very little money, but ladies of her social standing can't openly work. What's a gal to do? Secretly establish her own maid service, of course, opening up London houses for their returning owners and using her real name as a reference to recommend her secret business. Now if she can just keep from being caught out by her great grandmother, the Queen of England...

The two books in this series (so far) are Her Royal Spyness and A Royal Pain.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 2:21:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2008 7:57:32 AM PDT
mysterywoman says:
Hi Kathryn,

You might like the Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn.

Just if you didn't know the first book in the Meade series is "Million Dollar Baby" and the latest is "Shadow Waltz"

Two titles I recommend among all the Christie titles are two stand alones "The Man in the Brown Suit" and "They Came to Baghdad" I like both of these better than anything else she wrote.

Lastly if you are interested in the World War II time period try the Kathryn Miller Haines Rosie Winter Series. Only two titles so far "The War against Miss Winter" and "The Winter of Her Discontent" but both are wonderful.

All these titles have strong female "leads" and great mysteries. I hope you enjoy them all.

Happy reading
Mysterywoman

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 5:29:08 AM PDT
Thank you! As a matter of fact, I just bought "Her Royal Spyness" yesterday and plan on reading it soon. It seems like the beginning of an interesting series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 5:39:31 AM PDT
I read "The War Against Miss Winter" and really enjoyed it! I didn't know a second book in the series was out! Thanks for the info!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 8:14:03 AM PDT
Condorena says:
Also consider K. K. Beck and her Iris Cooper Flapper Sleuth who solves mysteries with a little travel thrown in

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 8:40:57 AM PDT
biff says:
thanks for the Kathryn Miller Haines info and also David Roberts has a great series, I think :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 10:00:56 AM PDT
Hi Kathryn,

Have you tried James Anderson, unfortunately he only wrote three of the following but they are wonderful mysteries- The Affair of the Mutilated Mink, The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks or The Affair of the Bloodstained Egg Cosy they take place in England 1930's in a Stately home, very witty, marvelous whodunit's just a case of murder, mayhem and a barrel of laughs till the end.

Andrea : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 10:45:27 AM PDT
Hi Andrea!
What a delightful surprise to read your comment. I researched this author and read an excerpt relating to "The Bloodstained Cosy." This is exactly the type of book that appeals to me:) I'm looking forward to reading it!
Thanks again!

Kathryn

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 11:54:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2008 12:23:13 PM PDT
Your Welcome Kathryn!

I've never been on these threads I just came across this one by chance this evening (being UK), glad I popped by and happy to have been able to help. I normally read darker mysteries but the Anderson books were presents from family and they did not disappoint, witty and delightful madcap mysteries, read one to the next in no time. I'm only sorry James Anderson has not followed up with another. Hope you thoroughly enjoy these as much as I did.

Love 20's and 30's also, happy reading, Andrea : )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 1:06:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2008 1:45:26 PM PDT
Kathryn,

I'm delighted you've ordered Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen. I hope you like it.

We most often talk about books on the board, but it occurs to me that there's a mystery DVD set in this time period that you might also enjoy.... so I'm going to mention it, as well. It's called The Cat's Meow and stars Kirsten Dunst and Eddie Izzard. In 1924, William Randolph Hearst hosted a weekend party on his yacht. Several famous people were in attendance, including his mistress, Marion Davies, as well as Charlie Chaplin, Elinor Glyn, Louella Parsons and others. When the shipped docked, one of the passengers, a movie cowboy named Thomas Ince, was dead from a gunshot wound. This is all absolutely true. The only people who actually knew what happened were on that boat, and they *never* talked. This movie explores "the most often whispered rumor." I enjoyed the movie, particularly the 1920s costumes, the music (the Charleston, of course) and the mystery of trying to figure out what really happened....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 3:11:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2008 3:16:08 PM PDT
C. Miller says:
I like Mary Roberts Rheinhart. She was one of the first of the "if she had but known" school. Complex mysteries and a good look at life of the American upper crust in the early part of the twentieth century.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2008 11:15:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 22, 2008 11:15:50 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2008 3:56:29 PM PDT
Bookworm says:
I absolutely recommend the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. Excellent mysteries but with a tragic yet beautiful undertone (recovering from the horrors of WWI).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2008 9:02:01 PM PDT
Son of the Ripper! is set in a hopelessly aristocratic New England town in 1927. It blends Agatha Christie and P.G. Wodehouse. There's an animated trailer for it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-c2lF6uCds

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 1:41:25 PM PDT
Cynthia says:
You might enjoy the Joe Sandilands series by Barbara Cleverly. The series begins during the British Raj and Joe is in India. The latest in the series finds Joe back in London during the 1920s.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 2:55:18 PM PDT
A Listener says:
Phoebe Atwood Taylor wrote a fine series of mysteries set in Cape Cod in the 1930's. The first, "Annulet Of Gilt", was in the early 30's, and references therein to someone's war record meant WWI. The characters are likeable, and the stories are well-written, with a good sense of humor.

Baroness Orczy's "Lady Molly of Scotland Yard" stories have flair and are very good, but set a bit earlier than the period you specified.

Geoffery Homes' series with Humphrey Campbell ("Finder's Keepers", "No Hands On The Clock", etc.) start in the 30's, but go over into 1940-41. Excellent, with a light touch. Probably hard to find, but worth the trip to the library.

If I remember correctly, at least some of the mystery novels of Dashiell Hammett ("Red Harvest", "The Thin Man",etc.), and Raymond Chandler ("Farewell My Lovely", "The Big Sleep", etc.) are set in the 30's. All excellent.

The mysteries of S. S. Van Dine, featuring Philo Vance, were written in the 30's and give a neat view of the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 4:58:34 PM PDT
C. Miller-
Thank you for your suggestion. Mary Roberts Rheinhart... did PPS Mystery or the BBC ever feature her mysteries many years ago? Somehow I connect her with some mystery dramas I think I saw on TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 5:06:46 PM PDT
P.G. McCullough-
It seems that your suggestion "Son of the Ripper" received great reviews on Amazon. At first, I thought it would be a wee bit too dark a mystery for me but it appears from some of the reviews that it has many witty and amusing moments.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2008 7:07:26 PM PDT
mysterywoman says:
Hi Kathryn,

Here's another suggestion! Jill Churchill has a wonderful series set in the thirties called the Grace and Favor mysteries. A brother and sister Lily and Robert Brewster inherit a huge house in upstate New York from their uncle. Said to have died a natural death Lily and Robert smell something rotten in this and start investigating.
The first book in the series is "Anything Goes" and all the following titles are named for songs of the period.
This is a wonderful series and the period detail seems very true to life.

I think you'll enjoy this series a lot if you decide to read it.

Happy reading,
Mysterywoman

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2008 7:21:32 AM PDT
C. Miller says:
I don't remember any that were on TV. I think one was made into a play and a couple may have been movies.
Carolyn

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2008 5:35:16 PM PDT
Hi Kathryn
You might like to try books by Author Patricia Wenthworth they are Murder Mysteries set in the 30's and 40's England with an Middle Aged Female Private Detective named Miss Silver.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2008 6:53:24 PM PDT
Lydialynne says:
Hello Kathryn,

I must second Mysterywoman's recommendation of Jill Churchill's "Grace and Favor" mystery series. These books are quite good and are my favorites from this period.

If you're ever in the mood for a contemporary mystery series, Jill Churchill also writes the Jane Jeffry mysteries, which are wonderful (and funny) as well.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new mystery stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
11 6 days ago
Nordic/British/Irish/Euro crime fiction (NBIE VII) 8084 1 day ago
Barb's Books & Chat (IV) 2727 2 days ago
Paranormal Mysteries from Indie Author 1 3 days ago
Looking for Mysteries with Unexplained Phenomenon with Non-Paranormal Explanation 0 8 days ago
Any British mystery books that male protagonist? 6 9 days ago
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, similar gritty lifestyle investigative novel? 1 26 days ago
Looking for novels set in Florida 264 May 20, 2016
seeking Louise Penny-esque semi-cozies w/ depth 43 May 4, 2016
Writers like Dick Francis? 2 May 2, 2016
looking for books that are laugh out loud funny 578 Apr 3, 2016
looking for a fun new female sleuth mystery novel 329 Apr 2, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  86
Initial post:  Jul 19, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions