Customer Discussions > Mystery forum

Police Procedural Mysteries on Kindle--Need recommendations

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 16, 2009 10:31:54 AM PDT
I am an avid mystery reader and now need recommendations for some good reads available on Kindle. Would love new series recommendations where ALL the books are available on Kindle (if there is such a thing). Thanks in advance for help!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2009 12:54:58 PM PDT
Vonne says:
Nora Roberts writes a police procedural series as J D Robb ( In Death series) and if you look at the selection of options - paperback/ hardbound/ used/ bargain etc. when you go to those books, you will find that they are available on Kindle. I am re-reading that series now and enjoying it. You can get a complete list (some 37 entries and best read in order IMHO if you want to appreciate the development of the characters) by going to www.fantasticfiction.co.uk ( a free site, and you can print the list or come back here to look as it is linked to Amazon).

Posted on Jun 18, 2009 4:26:24 PM PDT
CJ-MO says:
I don't know if all the books are available on Kindle, but many of the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly are on Kindle. (Harry is a detective in LA.)

J.A. Jance has two series with quite a few (don't know about all) books available on Kindle. One is about Sheriff Joanna Brady in Arizona and the other is J.P. Beaumont, a male detective in Seattle. I like both series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2009 7:03:09 PM PDT
I love Michael Connelly's books. The Harry Bosch series is good as well as The Lincoln Lawyer and The Brass Verdict. Harlan Coban's Myron Bolitar series and Jonathan Kellerman's books are really good as well. Mystery books are my favorite.

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 4:30:58 AM PDT
BOOKNUT says:
Manhattan North by John Mackie. Best police procedural I ever read!

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 5:43:28 AM PDT
B. Hislip says:
In our house, we're big fans of Ian Rankin, Peter Robinson, and Henning Mankell - all procedurals in different countries (Scotland, small town England, Sweden) and all with a strong sense of place, populated by real and believable characters. They are all very comfortable to slip into.

Posted on Aug 16, 2009 6:54:17 AM PDT
I strongly recommend clicking on the Carol O'Connell books--there are about 5 or so available, but the first few in the series don't seem to be kindle yet! It is by far my favorite series in PP. She also has a stand-alone (Judas Child) that is worth clicking on. Just wonderful books.

I think there are more of Linda Fairstein's book available on kindle. I looked and there are certainly a number of them available--I don't know the name of the first one in the series but the "Stop you're Killing me" website will fill in the blanks! With this series, you could start a little further along and it wouldn't be as disruptive as Carol O'connell.

You're very correct--it's hard to find series that are all available.

Two other books that you might like that are not PP but are crime novels: Lee Child and Robert Crais. I know Robert Crais has some stand-alones, so you could get a feel for his style by reading some of those if the series isn't all available.

Best of luck!
Maria

Posted on Feb 13, 2010 10:04:19 AM PST
Little Blue Whales
A sadistic killer stalks the summer beaches of Oregon, striking at random locations and then the small coastal city of Cutter Point. As newly hired Cutter Point police chief Kevin Kearnes battles for control of his dysfunctional agency, fighting corrupt city officials and members within his own department, an accidental meeting with a beautiful and secretive woman leads to a second chance at love. That is, until an old horror from his past resurfaces, manifesting itself in the same murder cases he's investigating, and he is about to learn that the most dangerous secrets to keep...are the ones you don't know you have.

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 9:27:00 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 5, 2012 7:14:31 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 12:14:18 PM PST
Ruth says:
Doris,

A few years back I wrote an LA noir that is half psychological thriller/half police procedural. It has as many twists and turns as Sunset Boulevard. Recently up on Kindle.

Ruth
Good Morning, Darkness

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 12:21:02 PM PST
Cornboy says:
Debbi Mack's Identity Crisis is a fast-paced police procedural/thriller.

Scott Nicholson
The Red Church
Ashes

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 9:44:59 AM PST
Ron says:
Anyone know if Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander series is coming to Kindle anytime soon?

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 6:47:33 PM PST
You might be interested in Roulette Roulette by Don and Linda Pendleton. Roulette Kindle and Print. Husband and wife cops, married more to their badges than each other, on the search for a serial killer who invades their Southern CA community.

Don Pendleton is known as the "father of action adventure" and creator of the Executioner Mack Bolan series, the Joe Copp PI Thriller series and the Ashton Ford Psychic Detective Series.
Copp For Hire, A Joe Copp Thriller (Joe Copp Private Eye Series )

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 7:02:40 PM PDT
Lady Writer says:
Check out my detective crime fiction novel Testarossa, now on Kindle and in paperback.

AN LAPD COP WITH AN NYPD ATTITUDE. THINGS ARE NEVER HOW THEY SEEM, ESPECIALLY IN POICE WORK.

"In TESTAROSSA, Julie Dolcemaschio has provided a healthy blend of setting, imagery, mystery and characters. Dolcemaschio has also done well with her research into criminal investigations and forensics which shows in her use of terminology and describing various police protocol.

...The elements of romance that Dolcemaschio interlaces in the story brings heart pounding moments of humanity to the man. The family backgrounds of the characters and their interactions bring the reader to forget that TESTAROSSA is fiction. The story leaves the reader with the hope that John Testarossa someday figures out how to rid himself of the scars that he has carried for so long. This is an impressive read in which the reader has no choice but to become emotionally involved."

-Bradley Nickell ~ Detective, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, and author of Repeat Offender

www.testarossabook.com

Thank you for checking it out.

Julie Dolcemaschio
Author, TESTAROSSA

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 7:50:22 PM PDT
Condorena says:
Most if not all Bartholomew Gill's Peter McGarr of the Irish Garda are available on kindle. I haven't check on many other since I still read print much of the time. But I will add others as I become aware of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 6:32:17 PM PDT
Kathy Sales says:
Aren't some of these impossible to get on the Kindle in the US?

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 7:57:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2011 7:58:15 PM PDT
Here are two police procedurals I've written that are on Kindle. Neither is part of a series, but you might enjoy the individual ones.

2016------------Presidential candidates and an assassin. A blind cop who sees with a GPS in his brain.

Once Bitten, Twice Dead----------a rookie cop trying to solve three murder cases. She doesn't know it's one case.

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 8:07:24 AM PDT
nigel p bird says:
here's one for you, a great book along Rankin lines Tony Black's Truth Lies Bleeding. another great is the novella Bye Bye Baby and A Simple Act of Violence is slightly unusual but amazing.

nigel
Dirty Old Town (And Other Stories)

Posted on May 7, 2011 12:49:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 7, 2011 8:26:27 AM PDT]

Posted on May 8, 2011 9:39:01 PM PDT
Killing Peter to Pay Paul

Detective Millard Whitney investigates a murder at a diaper company and soon has a mess on his hands.

I have ten Millard Whitney mysteries on Kindle. You can read them in any order.

Posted on May 9, 2011 9:09:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 7, 2011 8:26:32 AM PDT]

Posted on May 9, 2011 3:53:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 7, 2011 8:26:33 AM PDT]

Posted on May 10, 2011 2:58:05 PM PDT
Whisper Murder in my Ear

Why does anyone kill? Is there a voice that softly gives the command--a voice that cannot be resisted?

(Another Millard Whitney mystery)

Posted on May 10, 2011 3:46:51 PM PDT
Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache series set in the Province of Quebec are very interesting as are Donna Leon's Commasario Brunetti series set in Venice.

Posted on May 10, 2011 6:27:52 PM PDT
Ridley Pearson does really good police procedurals, and he can write. Avoid his new series "Killer Weekend", etc. and read instead the Lou Boldt mysteries...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Mystery forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Mystery forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Jun 16, 2009
Latest post:  May 22, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions