Customer Discussions > Networking forum

Wireless-N solution for PS3/Wii. Please help!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2010 6:32:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2010 6:39:42 PM PDT
MY PRECIOUS says:
Hello,

I have a Wireless-N enabled Xbox 360, and PC, included in my Wireless-N network (set up with a D-link Wireless-N router and fast broadband internet service) but the PS3 and Wii are still set up as Wireless-G.

I would like to purchase a Wireless-N adapter, to convert the Wii/PS3 into Wireless-N devices, especially the PS3, since the downloads from the PSN store are horribly slow (even the Wii Wireless-G downloads are faster) and my PS3 Wireless-G signal runs at about 55%-60% capacity. My Xbox 360 and PC downloads are very fast on the N network (the Wii downloads are not that bad).

Before i plunk money down on any of the devices i linked below, will they provide faster download speeds for my PS3/wii and upgrade the PS3 wireless signal to at least 90%-100% capacity over the already included/built-in Wireless-G adapters for PS3/Wii? I am primarily interested in the the Buffalo Technology device. But if any of you can please suggest any other devices, from any other stores, or please let me know if any if these are good, please let me know.

Thank you all again for your help. :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=wireless+n+bridge&x=0&y=0

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 10:07:33 PM PDT
pretty much the download speeds depend on ur dsl/cable connection, not in the type of network you have. if you have N DRAFT ROUTER/300MB SPEED means the transfers within that network are going in theory to reach 300mb per second speed which it doesnt. anyway all that fast speed is only within ur network with n draft enabled devices. if u want to grab a file from the internet it depends on UR DOWNLOAD SPEEDS from ur DSL/CABLE CONTRACT. 3mbps 6mbps 15mps depending on what contract you have. just cuz u have 300mbps n draft router doesnot mean ull be downloading from the internet at thaat speed.

simple test. plug ur ps3 to ur router through the gigabit connection which is faster than n draft. assumin ur n draft router has a gigabit port. and download something from psn store and ull see it makes no difference even though ur on a 1000mbps connection to ur router.

however if u want to stream somethin to ur ps3. having it cable connected to ur router through the gigabit port enables for super fast speeds as long as the device ur streaming from is n draft connected or gigabit connected.

dsl/cable speeds = download/upload speeds from internet
n draft network 300mbps = SPEEDS AND WIRELESS RANGE within UR OWN network.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2010 4:26:51 AM PDT
MY PRECIOUS says:
I will give your suggestion a try. Thank you for your help Christian, i greatly appreciate it.

Posted on Apr 14, 2010 3:42:23 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 14, 2010 5:04:36 PM PDT
Chris L. says:
All you really need is a wireless N game adapter that runs from the PS3's Ethernet port into the gaming adapter via cat 5/6 cable. Here is an example here.
TRENDnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter TEW-647GA (Black)
There are other companies that make these type of adapters too you may want to research them to decide which one will work for you.
You can use it with any device that has an Ethernet port such as your wii, Xbox, Ps3 or even an old computer with an Ethernet adapter. Of course the best option is to use a Cat6 cable and connect directly.

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 1:59:58 AM PDT
Wireless N standard is backward compatible with G standard. So.... You should be mostly set... Did you try out the connection to the PS3 and Wii with the new router?

I am not a gamer so I do not know about the gaming adapter listed above... But, before you buy another device, try the connection with your N router and see how things go...

Good Luck...

Posted on May 24, 2010 2:25:57 PM PDT
Rons Mkay says:
So, am I to understand that my ps3 has a built-in wireless-g adapter, and that it won't function with a wireless-n router? I am about to make a router purchase, and want to make sure that it is going to function properly with my ps3 as well as my laptop. I run on a 12mbps cable internet connection. G is much cheaper, and seems to have higher ratings per model in comparison to N.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2010 4:16:31 PM PDT
P. Barnett says:
It should work just fine. Most (if not all) wireless N routers have G and B backwards compatibility. You may notice a speed difference with wireless N vs. G, but if you internet connection is slow, no amount of G or N connectivity will fix that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 6:56:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 6:57:40 PM PDT
B. Lau says:
Janet L Jones: If you're asking for tech advice, its best to not be snarky about your "in English with real words" comment. Techies are more inclined to help you if you dont act like we're from another planet speaking another language. You might do a little Googling and educate yourself.

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 5:10:28 AM PDT
Thanks for this reminder that wireless g is faster than my internet connection so upgrading my wireless will not improve my internet connection speeds.

Back to hacking a router for better interNAL connection between my computers and my router.

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 7:08:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2010 7:12:57 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:56:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2010 10:57:31 AM PDT
E. Borah says:
One more option -- look for a cheap wireless-N router that's on the compatibility list for dd-wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database). You can flash the router with dd-wrt, which is router software. Then, set up dd-wrt to act as an access point. Plug in your PS3 (or any other device -- you might get faster throughput disabling the wireless in your other devices and hooking them up to the router/access point as well, to reduce radio interference), and you're pretty much done.

It's almost always cheaper than buying a box designed as an access point, and works exactly the same. I did that with a Netgear 3300 I bought used here on amazon, and it works fine (though I don't universally recommend that specific model, for a variety of reasons).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 5:38:16 PM PDT
I've read about this and plan to try it out. I'm planning buying a used router via auction so that if the flashing doesn't work I'm not out much. I'm hoping to boost the range of my network using dd-wrt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2010 4:30:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 2, 2010 4:31:42 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2010 4:31:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 2, 2010 4:31:54 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 28, 2010 9:34:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2010 9:35:45 PM PDT
® says:
No device does 300mbps. That is just a theoretical max performance that most hardware are not capable of doing. I never even gotten 54mbs on over a g draft ever. You go to have a uber fast hd on both end or something because it doesn't do that. I copy files from my computer over wifi and I think I get 2.1mbp max.

I have the PS3, TV, one computer, ooma, hardwire to the D-Link DIR-825 N Dual Band. I have a laptop doing N, a netbook doing G, a Nintendo Wii doing B and a garmin doing something. Yeah I have no real problem. IF you have qwest, you have to change the ip address to http://192.168.5.1/ for some reason. It works better dynamic over static.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 5:56:31 PM PDT
Keep in mind that a data rate is the speed and not the actual throughput. Because of medium access methods, aggregate throughput is typically one-half or less of the availabe data rate speed. So if you bought a router that had a data rate of 600Mbps then your throughput would be around 300Mbps. But your router has a data rate of 300Mbps (so your throughput will hopefully be around 150Mbps). Also your client device will also determine your speeds (if it can't support some features you don't get to use them).

In anycase getting great speeds off of 2.4Ghz is pretty hard because of interference and you have to use 40Mhz wide channels which typical don't work well in 2.4Ghz. So you have to go to 5Ghz and use 40Mhz wide channels. Also if you use anything other than AES for security you will default to G speeds anyway. Also other factors will come into play for speed like DRS (Dynamic Rate Switching).

Also N gives you SDM (Spatial Division Multiplexing), more subcarreirs, shorter guard intervals, frame aggregation, block ACKs, Transmit Beamforming (TxBF), MIMO, STBC, LDPC, and other things. This is just a quick over view as you can go much deeper into the subject. So yes I often get N WiFi devices that connect at a data rate of 300Mbps all the time. The throughput is often around half. Just like a G device connects at a data rate of 54Mbps and your throughput is half. Remember wifi is not a full duplex. Also that Nintendo Wii doing B is causing you to have slow downs in your network (if it's turned on while other things are also using the wifi network).

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 3:21:46 PM PDT
Nirup Nakka says:
Hi
I want to steam HD content from Netflix on my PS3 using a wireless connection. I want to know if I need a Dual band router for this or will a wireless N router do? Please let me know.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2010 4:23:15 PM PDT
Well let's clear something up for you. A dual band router operates in both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. N can operate in both spectrums as well, but really if you want to take full advantage of N's abilities you should only go with a 5Ghz set up (40 Mhz channels often perform worse than if you left it in 20 Mhz wide channels in a 2.4Ghz application). In N a 2.4 Ghz band is going to give you a very small increase over G. So the real question is what equipement are you using? You listed the PS3, which only operates in 2.4Ghz and doesn't do N, so if it's the only wifi you will have going just buy a 2.4Ghz G router. If you want to future proof your purchase than buy a dual band N router. If you really want to get HD content streaming in you will need to run ethernet to your ps3. 2.4Ghz N routers might get you there but you are sitting on the edge, a lot of things can come into play. Just remember that you are not getting a bluray HD feed. More like a compressed cable company feed. Still better than dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 4:18:23 PM PDT
Dr. John says:
You really have to watch all the details when you're buying into this. I've never seen a Wireless N running at full 300 mbs, too much overhead even with expensive dedicated AP's and new gear. Some equipment says it's N but if it only has 1 antenna it can't do MIMO (send and receive at the same time) so your speeds are way off. There are some well known brand new laptops like this. Now N radios can at least have dual frequency and if you're getting over 50 mbs, thats not shabby and is still way over what your average home DSL/Cable speed is going to be.

The other thing is that many home network switches will only run as fast as slowest connection so if you have a gig switch and have a 100mb device plugged into it, then the whole switch is gonna run at 100 mb, so check around as most first tier technical support I've talked to don't seem to even understand the question.

Finally, most PC bus speeds are going to top out in the 400 mb range anyway (this info is from a few years ago so YMMV), so a lot of this is speed stuff is sort of hype, there are lots of variables and you probably don't need the high end speed in home networking, if you do start tweaking using jumbo packets.

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 10:11:56 PM PDT
AskSurferJoe says:
i have a ps3 and i want to stream hd content to it from my cable modem i see someone said that i need a straight link up using the ethernet port. any suggestions on best cables?
thanks adam

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 7:55:29 AM PDT
Some providers are limiting the speeds at which you can download files across their network. I found some information (haven't tried it out yet!) but here is the link:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network/Slow-downloads-Try-using-a-Local-Proxy-to-speed-up-downloads-Esp/m-p/37209641

- GlowGoBoy

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 2:33:20 AM PDT
Jaygyver says:
Dr. John, I think your getting wireless and ethernet mixed up.
That's what's nice about an Ethernet SWITCH is you can have 3 gig devices and one 10/100 device talking and the gig devices DON"T slow down. Only when you talk TO a slower device will it slow down to that speed. Think of a 4 port Ethernet switch as having 4 separate phone lines so only one person can hear you. A wireless router is like having a party line, everybody is talking at the same time. The old HUBs used to do that. On a "wireless" network a "b" connection will slow down ALL "g" and "n" devices even if two "n" devices are talking to each other. So that's whats nice about the Dual Band routers out now is you can isolate the slower devices to the second band.
Anyway, that's the way it was explained to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 7:30:23 AM PDT
Dr. John says:
Hi Jaygyver,

Ideally you are correct, the implementation is where the speed problems show up. I've used Cisco, Enterasys, Extreme, Nortel and IBM switches (etc) at work, these are non blocking and all ports run at the full line rate at the same time. Some of the home switches will only run at the speed of the slowest device on the port, reducing a gig switch to a 100 mb switch. I think this is sort of uncool, because many of my streaming media devices are 100 mb and if I pay for a gig then I want a gig and I'd like to be able to mix speeds on ports and still get the full line rate. The info is available but you have to dig for it a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2010 6:45:50 PM PDT
Jaygyver says:
Yeah, your probably right, I never really did my own test to see. I have two computers that have fast Ethernet and two that have gig so one of these days I'll have to check it out. It's been years since I read any thing about it as that was the reason I went to a "Switch" instead of a "hub" was the "hype" about the separation. It kind of dates me huh? It's definitely UN-cool and kinda makes me mad now as I ended up spending about $30 more to get it, even before they knew I had a Mac. A Linksys 8 port that the power brick finally died a couple of years ago, I guess I can't complain too much, it lasted 7 or 8 years.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Networking forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Apr 11, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions