Customer Discussions > Networking forum

watching my amazon instant video on my tv with out streaming.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 1, 2012 7:25:09 PM PDT
J. Maxwell says:
Hello Everyone. This is my first time posting here, but I've looked everywhere for an answer to my problem, but it just doesn't look like there's a solution.

Here's the situation. My internet service provider recently put a cap on my internet and I don't really have any other options to change that. But, my household is a family of 6 and everyone has their crack at surfing the web, playing games, what ever. When it's all said and done, in one day we have already used up to 4-6 gb's.

That wouldn't be much of a problem, but it doesn't give us much breathing room for things like netflix. I believe my ISP is also padding the number's, because the number's jump ridiculously high if we watch just one movie. The other night it went from 6 gb's in one day, to 20 gb's. all because we watched one movie.

I really don't know what to do about proofing that they are padding the number's, but it seems awfully high for just one movie. so, we are forced to quit our netflix subscription, something we would use 2-3 times a week as a family and try to ration any bandwidth we have with in the month.

I know this is a bit long winded, but here's where my question come's in. is their any device besides an ipod/ipad/pc/tivo, that would allow us to download an amazon instant video and play it on our tv with out streaming it.

Tivo is out of the question right now, as we don't have the kind of money to add another bill. Ipad and ipods are too expensive just for a simple media hub. And a PC that is used only as a means to watch these programs seems a tad extravagant. besides, no pc is cheep enough that includes a hdmi hookup. At least what i've seen.

My price limit is around 100-120 bucks. but if you have a solution at all, I'm willing to hear about it regardless of the price. Thank you for any and all help1

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 6:46:53 PM PDT
CelV says:
Whatever device you use to download a movie from the internet is going to count against your ISPs download cap whether you watch it as it downloads ( streams) or if you save it for later viewing. No way around it.

While it might not be what you want to hear, consider switching your Netflix account to DVDs. Let the kids (and you) take turns choosing the movie. As Netflix learns your taste in movies and makes suggestions for movies to view, see if your local public library has the movie. In my case, I go on the library's web site monthly and select any new movies of interest. If they are not available, I reserve them online. I get an e-mail when they come in that they are held for me. Only if not available at the library do I get a DVD from Netflx, thereby increasing my pool of available movies.

We have found that as a result of Netflix DVD suggestions (streaming suggestions are limited only to what is available to stream, DVD pool is larger) we discovered a whole new genre of viewing - British mysteries and dramas, in our case. Perhaps you might find something unexpected, too.

Good luck./ cel

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 8:07:17 PM PDT
Ray Richmond says:
Streaming is convenient. Before you switch to DVD, try logging in to Netflix.com and click on the Your Account link at the upper right of the screen. When the account page pops up and in the Your Streaming Plan box, select the 'Manage video quality' link. Select a lower quality option to reduce the data volume used to send the movie. If you can't live with the resulting video image, THEN switch to the Netflix DVD plan.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 8:20:10 AM PDT
M. Dees says:
Really good advice Ray. I would also suggest finding another cable / internet company. That cap is insane.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 11:24:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 11:27:56 AM PDT
Ksmth007 says:
there use to be this thing on amazon called amazon unbox player, where you downloaded the video, and you could watch it anytime. i have it on my computer.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/player

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:02:44 AM PST
Hi- I have Clear (Clearwire) service, $35 a month unlimited (I think it's 4G, can't remember) with a wireless router and we have four people in the household who stream tv and movies continually, all of us online 24-7 on our respective computers, with no problems whatsoever. We use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and VUDU. Two of us work online and upload/download lots of files as well. Couldn't be happier with Clear, and I've had it in both rural and urban areas.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 3:52:14 PM PST
I have an account with Amazon and have a large video libriary that I have purchased. My question is: Can I view these videos from a tv other than the ones in my home? If so - how. Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:00:17 PM PST
iloveenrique says:
If you are planning to view them from an ipad to a tv through amazon instant video, it will not work.. Here is a link if you have questions

http://www.macworld.com/article/1168038/playing_amazon_instant_video_from_ipad_to_tv.html

Posted on Aug 17, 2013 5:07:38 PM PDT
I have amazon prime and can stream movies on my Mac computer. I also have Apple TV and want to see the movie that's on my computer on my TV. How can I do it?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Networking forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions