Customer Discussions > Networking forum

Best option to extend a wireless network via hard cable?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2012 1:42:21 PM PDT
Mike Schmitt says:
Here's the setup:
My mom's office is expanding to an additional office on the opposite end of her building's floor. The wireless signal they get from the current office's router, in the new office, is questionable at best. The "super strong" wireless cards they're getting for the systems aren't in yet, so I haven't been able to test out how it will really go, but I'm looking for alternate suggestions.

The one requirement: all the systems have to end up on the same LAN, so they can print to the same network printers. At least this is largely desired.

I'd be able to perhaps run one ethernet cable through the ceilings of the building down the hallway into the new office and drop it into some sort of range extender (I'd consider trying a wireless-only range extender also but I'm not sure how well it would work). So I basically want something that acts more like a switch which broadcasts wireless signal - I know it would be a new SSID and wireless key, etc, but I really only care about all the PCs ending up connectable to each other (hence why I don't just pass the ethernet wire into a new router - the new network would be unreachable by the PCs outside it, as far as I know, unless there's a trick to stop this from happening).

Any input or hardware suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 3:09:32 AM PDT
MikeT says:
Passphrase key can be the same. SSID can be the same also if the signals are that weak between them, but probably better to use unique SSID's for each. Make sure to turn off DHCP on the new WiFi router in the new office area wired to the main router in the main office area. For hardware I'd suggest the same make & model in use in the main office just for administration familiarity sake.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 7:38:03 AM PDT
Mike Schmitt says:
Cool, thanks - I guess the trick here was just using a second router and turning DHCP off, which now in retrospect makes perfect sense, but for some reason it hadn't occurred to me.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 9:06:34 AM PDT
Curtis Ellis says:
In a similar situation, I used:

Edimax EW-7228APn 150Mbps 11n Wireless Range Extender/Access Point with 5 Port Switch

This has worked well and extended the network and the wireless range

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:42:33 AM PDT
Mike Schmitt says:
Thanks - now is that a wireless-only range extender, or can it take an ethernet input from the existing router for example? I might end up trying to use a purely-wireless solution anyway, so if you recommend this specific unit I'll keep it in mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 12:36:00 PM PDT
Curtis Ellis says:
Mine is hardwired from the router and provides a wireless hub AND some available cable connections, like a switch
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Networking forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Jun 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions