Customer Discussions > Networking forum

Best router for Two or More Xbox with Open NAT

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2011 1:57:02 PM PDT
My internet is 30mpbs up and 5 down. I have the surfboard sbg6580 modem/router but it will only allow one xbox with open NAT and the other is strict. I've heard that there are routers out there that will provide open NAT settings to more than one xbox. Does anyone know of these? I am not picky on the brand would like to keep the price at $150 or below. Thanks

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 8:29:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011 8:34:51 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 1:23:15 AM PDT
Yes it does help, you saved me a lot of time. What about having two ip addresses? When will ipv6 be released?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 8:22:22 PM PDT
M. Brashear says:
I'm using a WRG614v9 wireless g and both my Xbox's are playing just fine. I returned a Cisco Valet plus today because it didn't do 2 at a time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 5:42:06 AM PDT
Your information is incorrect...as long as your router does UPnP then it will work. I have a cheap Belkin wireless G router from the Xbox compatibility list and I have 2 xbox's connected with no NAT issues at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 5:05:09 PM PDT
look all you need is a Netgear wndr3300 got here on amazon i have ipods androids a ps3 bluray player and i have an xbox360 in everyroom online and i have open nat on all of them it has auto UPnP iam running all my gear on a 12mbps download 1mbps up ADSL+2 no problems at all just once a week restart it and yes i have 5 copys of black opps

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 10:54:11 AM PDT
fsimmala says:
having 2 ip is ok but is not necessary some router now still allow 2 game console for open NAT.Try latest router Belkin N750
IPv6 beginning of next year will be released

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 9:04:48 AM PST
Greg says:
I purchased a Linksys E4200 and a Netgear N600 due to my old Netgear router not allowing my Xboxes and PCs online (without constantly rebooting) after the installation of 4 Directv boxes, which become part of the home network for the purpose of downloading OnDemand movies or shows. I couldn't get an open NAT on two Xboxes with the Linksys and the new Netgear kept having to be rebooted to allow any devices online.(This has something to do with the Directv boxes needing a new IP address pretty often, per the forums over there.) I tried static IP addresses and firmware updates and every other suggestion I could find before returning the aforementioned routers. I ended up purchasing a Belkin 750DB and it has been flawless for two months, never needing a reboot to allow devices online and ALWAYS having open NAT on multiple Xboxes.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 2:59:26 PM PST
The Prince says:
I use a wifi hotspot device to connect to the internet it puts out a slow connection I don't have a router or repeater and know nothing about them so I'd like to ask a few questions. First I need something that boost wifi signal strength and boost performance do you know if these things do anything like that? I mostly use my computer to play games and stream videos. Second if you know any devices that boost a wifi hotspot emitter could you name or recommend any? Third I use a eithernet cable to connect to xbox live and ps3 network do these router things and repeaters speed up their connectivity? Fourth whats the difference between routers and repeaters?

Posted on Sep 13, 2012 7:08:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 7:09:38 AM PDT
Morgan says:
I just bought an Netgear N300 wnr2000 v3 from walmart and it worked out of the box. Both of my xboxes showed open nats without changing anything. The router needs to have a correct/sufficient UPnP implementation for this to work. Prior to buying the router I read a few articles about Netgear being certified with Windows and they're being some sort of issue with Netgears not working before and now they make sure they work. My guess is that Netgears, minus some bug, should work with their use of UPnP from now on. Also, this router was 45 dollars and way cheaper than the routers I was using previously. Hope this helps someone! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 3:18:40 PM PDT
Thx for the tip. Best reply yet.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 9:41:22 AM PDT
Josh, I too am using this router, but I have had issues. Would you be able to walk me through on some basics. I done a lot of research, and I cannot seem to get my router right. I have 3 boxes with restrcited NATs, and I cannot get the maximum DL speed from my ISP (Comcast) as well. Comcast says it is due to the settings on the router. Netgear wants to charge me too much for 30 minutes of technical service. Please help. giancarloppisano@gmail.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 4:16:24 AM PDT
MikeT says:
" Giancarlo P. Pisano says: .... and I cannot get the maximum DL speed from my ISP (Comcast) as well. Comcast says it is due to the settings on the router... "

Possible but unlikely. ISP's often sell speed they cannot deliver, then blame your gear for not getting the speed you are paying for. Simple test is to connect your computer directly to their supplied modem via ethernet cable, then do the speed test. If you still see significantly lower speeds than what you are supposed to be getting then it can only be the ISP's issue/problem as you have eliminated your router as the cause.

http://www.speedtest.net

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2013 6:49:17 PM PDT
Chris says:
I've talked with someone who's in charge of building out Xbox Live's networks and datacenters. He says most routers can handle up to 4 360's with open NAT. I found that to not be true with some I tried. However, newer Netgear routers seem to do it. I have 4 360s on my network, I've been able to play with two on Live at once with open NAT. I cant say about the others since there is only two people living in the house. With some Linksys routers I've had good luck, but the newer models have all had moderate to strict out of the box. My Netgear just died sadly, I bought the same model just a newer version and it also seems to do fine with the NAT.

Posted on Jan 25, 2014 11:04:20 AM PST
Chris, what model number net gear router would be helpful please

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2014 11:07:32 AM PST
Chris, tell me the model number of the net gear router you're using

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2014 12:21:33 PM PST
Chris says:
WNDR3400 is what I'm using now. I don't use the wireless, I can't say if it's any good or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2014 10:44:29 AM PDT
Terahawk says:
That is also not true about UPnP. I have a linksys EA4500 with UPnP and all the bells and wistles, port fowardin/triggering,DMZ. I have PS3 and xbox360 i am only able to get an open NAT type on one console. The other is either moderate or strict. Updated the routers firmware still no luck, however i did some digging and found on the linksys support that their wireless routers cannot and does not support more that 1 gaming console at a time or different systems because of the modems IP that was their reasoning.

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 4:22:51 PM PST
CapNando says:
You need to specifically ask for a router capable of running Multiple NATs simultaneously at time of purchase.

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 9:43:28 AM PST
IT Professional for 10 years -
Currently my roommates and I have a Netgear WNDR3400v3 and are able to run 3 xbox one's simultaneously with open NATs without any additional configuration. The only problem with this router is that it is only 10/100 Ethernet and we're not receiving all of our download speed since our modem is Gigabit Ethernet (they picked out the router before I moved in). I'm currently looking for a replacement and from what I have researched Netgear's have excellent UPnP as well as most DLinks. ASUS routers are also supposed to be able to handle multiple Xbox One's right of out of the box without any fuss as well.

I have nothing against Linksys or Cisco routers but stay away from them if you plan on having multiple consoles of the same type on your network. They do not handle the network traffic as well as the Netgear, DLink, Asus routers when it comes to consoles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2015 12:13:07 PM PST
Hi does it matter what modem you have or is it the router that mostly matters. I have an xbox one and two xbox 360's that I run on my network and it is now a problem with my xbox one. I try playing destiny and advanced warfare and after a minute or two it kicks me out of the game session or match. Any suggestions please I would be so grateful. Oh and when I test the multiplayer connection it tells me it's all good I don't get it help

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 12:15:41 PM PST
Darcwolf says:
I can tell you for a fact, that most newer netgears do support multiple consoles, as long as you enable upnp and change nat filtering to open instead of secured, models starting with wnr2000 and up, there are a couple that don't and xbox.com actually tell you which ones do. http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/networking-hardware/default.aspx

Also some Dlinks, such as the Dir-655 will also support at least up to 8 consoles with open nat, also any router with newer version of ddwrt will also get open nat, and in my personal experience I have seen buffalo routers do it also with their stock firmware, a lot of them do run ddwrt stock though. Some asus do, but they are hit and miss.

If interested in why, these devices actually are capable of properly using PAT (port address translation) which is an extension of nat.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2015 2:59:07 PM PST
Antonio says:
Yea you should be able to use both consoles on your modem I'm running my xbox one an xbox 360 on my netgear n600 router modem dls an my ports are open and my nat types are open on both consoles
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Networking forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Sep 13, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 23, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions