Customer Discussions > Networking forum

Is there such a thing as a trouble-free wireless router?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2013 2:36:00 PM PST
I've had a number of wireless routers over the years and they all seemed to work OK at first, but then there is creeping instability and the need to reset them more and more frequently. My Linksys E1500 Wireless-N Router with SpeedBoost is the latest one, purchased to replace something else that was failing.

I've read many product reviews on Amazon and every product seems to have a significant failure rate and 100 1-star reviews.

Is there such a thing as a wireless router that always works for almost everybody?

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 3:17:33 AM PST
MikeT says:
I can't answer specifically to which model routers are "better" or more reliable per se.

I can say I've used a Linksys WRT54GL (not an N router) with the third party Tomato firmware.
Had it in use 24/7 for over six years, not a single issue, strong signal throughout my entire home (and beyond).
The WRT54GL is known to be a very good, reliable, workhorse of a router, albeit limited to G.

Basic router advice: Reboot *any* router about once per month. Simply unplug it, wait maybe 20 seconds, plug it back in. Not a reset, just a reboot. This alone can help a router maintain much more stability over the long haul.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 6:06:14 PM PST
RW says:
There are a lot of variables involved in your connection issues. It isn't necessarily a problem with the router. It could be an issue with your ISP, which doing the reset of the router,like MikeT mentioned, can resolve. What exactly is happening? You lose your connection,your speed drops? Thumbs up MikeT on the WRT54GL with Tomato!

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 12:44:50 PM PST
I stayed completely away from wireless for a very long time both because of those bad reviews and because my big old rowhouse is a wireless nightmare. I recently replaced the modem (with a Motorola SB-6141) and the wired Linksys router with a pair of ASUS RT-N66U dual band routers (one configured as an access point to extend range throughout the house) and I couldn't be happier. It turns out I could probably have gotten away with just one router, but these things have been rock solid stable and provided speeds that are indistinguishable from a wired connection. Your mileage may vary, but in my case replacing modem and router at once cured a multitude of stability problems all at once.

Take a look at the Amazon revues - they are almost all five star.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:00:03 PM PST
Rob says:
The ASUS RT-N66U seems to be the first rock solid router that could replace my old Linksys WRT54G in forever. Six people I know have them and they all rave.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 12:14:23 PM PST
DigitalBug says:
Wish I could trade in my ASUS RT-N56U for the 66U. Might be nice to not have to reboot the router multiple times a week.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 9:30:48 PM PST
okinawa54 says:
I have a multiple wireless camera system installed at home and understand the frustration with daily rebooting of routers. I've tried them all, Linksys, Netgear, Airport, Amped, Hawk and they have all ended up in the closet. I was reading up on wireless routers and stumbled across the ASUS RT-N66U and AC66U. I've been using ASUS routers for about a year now and I can tell you the signal drops are a thing of the past. Put together an ASUS wireless LAN which provides you good signal strenth throughout your home and you'll be in business. Just wish I had discovered these long ago. I have no affiliation with ASUS other than a very satisfied customer. I have not reset a router in months now!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 9:40:25 AM PST
Grumbler says:
the lifespan of any electronic gadget is usually directly proportional to the technical savvy of the person using it. I have only replaced 3 or 4 wireless routers over the years due to failure and I have installed hundreds.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 9:47:22 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 4, 2013 11:46:25 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 4:11:05 AM PST
As some others said, definitely go for ASUS RT-N66U. I recommended this product to 2 of my friends and gave to another as a present. All of us are extremely happy with it. Just set it up and forget. It just works and the range is unbeatable.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 7:58:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 8:00:51 AM PST
NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC 1200 Dual Band Gigabit (R6200)

ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

I'm in the market for a new broadband router, I was looking at the Netgear R6200 and see the ASUS RT-N66U is popular with similar features and price.

I'm going to add wireless surveillance and DVR, any preference between these two routers, or others? What about the ASUS ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router?

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 2:28:22 AM PST
K Henderson says:
From a network analysts perspective, when you are dealing with Smaill Office/Home Office (SOHO) devices there are always going to be limits to the routers you buy sub $200. I noticed that other posters have posted links about products in which they have had a great amount of success, but everyone's environment is different. Some tips when buying a wireless router:

First, brush up on your Wireless Networking Terminology. You know what Play, Stop and Rewind (and the symbols for them), you can learn what SSID, IEEE 802.11 and Dual-Band mean. You can do some Google Searches on the terms. When you choose a wireless router, stick with the brands you might see at your local electronics store. Add up the amount of devices in your house. For every 2-3 devices, you should have at least 1 antenna on your device. I'll explain below. And lastly, make sure you pick the latest WiFi technology. 802.11n or 802.11ac are the most current.

As I stated above, SOHO devices are really not that pwerful compared to what you see in a corporate or enterprise environment. When you buy a wireless router, you are actually acquiring a device that has three different types of network equipment. An access point, a switch and a router. They all do different things and are meshed together in your "Wireless Router".

So what's the answer to your question? There is no perfect wireless router. In my own experience, Apple Extreme devices have been really reliable. They have the latest tech, offer multiple antennas and are one of the easiest to setup securely. ASUS latest routers are pretty great, and I think Cisco is OK too. My personal experience with Netgear Wireless Routers hasn't been great, but I use their switches.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 7:37:28 PM PST
Wait for Almond+. The Almond router is also great.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:52:37 PM PST
Venky says:
I bought a WRT160N (http://homestore.cisco.com/Linksys-WRT160N-Wireless-N-Router-Front-Page_stcVVproductId53934616VVcatId543809VVviewprod.htm) and flashed it with DDWRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Linksys/WRT160N/3.0/dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin/3758). It is stable. I have continuously run the router for 3 months without restart. My restarts have been for adding a new device to the MAC filter or for wiring/location changes. I have been using the flashed router since 9/2010.

You could buy an inexpensive WRT160N off EBay. Ensure you buy a Revision 3 of the hardware.The DDWRT firmware is revision dependent. Mine is a Revision 3.

On a side note, my router is a Motorola SB6121, which is also stable.

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 12:28:08 AM PST
esanta says:
I never, ever have to reboot my router. I have a large house so I installed network extenders, which were a breeze to configure. I use one of the extenders as an Ethernet bridge (with a switch) to connect all my A/V stack instead of connecting each device wirelessly. I can also stream audio to this device from my phone. The main router has a large USB drive hooked up to it and all my computers automatically back up to it. This is the only brand that I haven't seen mentioned, and it is price competitive with quality routers.
On the downside, it is not configurable from a Linux box or an Android device; only from Mac, Windows, iPhone and iPad. And it's not as tweakable as DDWRT (although most people probably don't need or understand the extra features offered by DDWRT)
Airport Extreme and AirPort Express. They may surprise you.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 6:26:49 PM PST
RemixedCat says:
I've been having a good time with Amped Wireless routers. Very easy to config and set it-and-forget it. Lots of config options and excellent coverage.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 5:07:23 AM PST
Lana says:
I'm trying to set up up something where I can play movies, videos, etc. on our HD tv (not internet tv.) We have sony blu ray player, so we can access YouTubes, but you have to put them on a playlist, and lately either youtube or my player is censoring certain videos. Vimeo has stuff, but I can't get that on my blu ray/tv. I want something that will wirelessly transfer what is on my mac book pro/ipad and/or pc to the screen. We have a boxie box, but that is so screwed up. when you try to mirror onto the tv, it will mirror the entire webpage (not just the video linked into the web page.) If you open up the video to take the full screen, then the button to add it to boxee box is covered up. So you have to stream the entire page. There is no web support. We have a NetGear Pro Safe GS108 wireless router. A sony blu ray. Direct TV genie. (The trouble with Direct tv internet is if you do a search on YouTube, it won't pull up the latest YouTube, so you may have 1000's of YouTubes to go through to find the latest on the channel you are interested in.) We have an X-Box 360--I don't know how to use it, it belonged to our son. We listen to a lot of pod casts and/or Youtubes for current events in alternate news media. Am considering Apple TV, and don't know whether I need to get apple express/extreme router or what. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 12:35:04 PM PST
esanta says:
Hi Lana, you do not need an Apple router to use an AppleTV, like all TV boxes it will connect to any router.
You do need to pay attention to the service providers you want to use and check out competing devices like Roku HD which supports Amazon Instant Video and HBO Go. It's really a question of what matters most to you; the AppleTV will let you stream pictures, music and videos from your iPhone or iPad; it's pretty neat to be able to watch instantly the video of the kids you just recorded without having to connect any wires. On the other hand, no HBO Go or Amazon Instant Video (although there has been rumors, but so far nothing). Then there's the question of the cost, and there Roku is a clear winner. Hope this helps a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 5:20:02 AM PST
golf fan says:
about the only time I reset my Linksys is when I have one of my kids putting technology above school or our family. then it is usually just to make a point, as I had to do last night before dinner! 4/5!

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 3:02:06 PM PDT
Bryan Schulz says:
Security and convenience are inversely proportional. Just use boarding an aircraft as an example. The easier that process is, the more security is compromised. The same is true for network traffic routing devices. Seeking the most "trouble free" device offers low maintenance user intervention in settings and that makes it "easy" and "convenient." However, reemphasizes that security and convenience are in an inverse proportional relationship, the "simpler" a network device is to set up, lock down, and add devices, the chances of it being compromised by an intruder rise significantly. In other, examples to make the point, how many computers have you seen where the whole family uses the Administrator account with a blank password? How many routers have you seen where the login is Admin and the password is Admin? How many home security alarms use 1234 to shut them off? From a security networking technician's perspective, I think your data and privacy is worth the extra money and I like the replies on the ASUS brand first posted by DP Anderson and followed by more that agreed. Keep in mind, leaving the people door unlocked into your garage is very convenient when you come home, use your garage door opener and have an arm full of groceries to bring inside. Most people leave their people door to the garage unlocked. It is also the number one entry point, according to insurance investigators, for home burglaries and home invasions. Trouble free when you want to just walk in your home after you pull your car in after a hard day at work, so high in convenience, low in security. The same applies to computer networks. Reconsider that $49 router.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2013 2:02:46 PM PDT
Noxy Moro says:
Simple answer: Apple Airport Extreme. Easy set up. No problems. Last a long time. Solved my wireless router problems. They cost more than some, but they work and keep working.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Networking forum (378 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Networking forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions