Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Nikon forum

Nikon D7000 and Nikkor AF Lenses

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 7:06:04 AM PST
L. Norton says:
I inherited a number of AF lenses and my dad's film camera - I have no desire to use his film camera and was considering buying a digital slr. I have done the research and the lenses should work - BUT.... My question is before I spend money on a D7000 I want to know how well the older lenses work on this camera....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:16:21 AM PST
They should work except for the auto-focus. I believe the older auto-focus lenses were driven by a motor in the camera while the new auto-focus lenses have the motor built in. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:47:04 AM PST
N. Hembree says:
Should work with the D7000 if the lenses are AF or AF-D. Check this compatibility chart for your application and reference http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html or search "Nikon lens compatibility."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 3:09:46 PM PST
Mike says:
Yes, AF, AF-D, AF-I, and AF-S lenses will all work fine with the D7000, including auto-focus. The newer AF-S lenses operated the auto-focus electronically through the metal contacts in the mount. The older AF and AF-D lenses, however, require a screw mechanism for the AF to function. If you look at the mount for these AF lenses, you'll see a small slot. On the body mount of compatible cameras (including the D7000), you'll see what looks like a small flat-head screwdriver mechanism. The lower end cameras (D3100, D3200, D5100, etc.) do not include this screw mechanism and therefore cannot operate the AF function of AF or AF-D lenses.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:40:44 PM PST
PhotoUser says:
D7000 has a builtin motor to work with AF lenses. I hope it helps

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:44:58 PM PST
®ichard says:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

A good chart and description on Nikon lenses to bodies over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:13:10 AM PST
EdM says:
Yes, Nikon's older lenses work properly on a Nikon D7000.

However, there are two important things: first, the crop factor of this DX camera, which is sort of like multiplying the focal length by 1.5, so a 50mm prime lens will act somewhat like a 75mm lens, or a short telephoto. This provides extra reach at the long end, but makes wide angle views harder to come by at the wide end. For this reason, I would recommend getting the D7000 with the kit lens, e.g., the 18-105 lens, which is a pretty good deal these days.
Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

The other thing is that for many lenses from film days, the worst performance was found in the corners, especially wide open. However, the crop factor already crops off the corners, providing better performance than might otherwise be expected. See, and note the illustration at the top right to illustrate this crop in action:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

Most Nikkor lenses that autofocus had fairly good lens coatings, but the more recent lenses have made improvements in this. In any event, if you have a 28-80 AF normal zoom lens, on a DX crop mode D7000 that equates to a 42-120mm lens. Basically, almost no wide ability at all, but nicely enhanced at the long end. Do look up the specific lenses that you have as mentioned above, to make sure. BTW- the D7000 even has the ability to mount and shoot older AIS Nikkor manual focus lenses, by using the lens data menu item. I have a few of these legendary Nikkors of the past.

Of course, a manual focus lens must be focused manually, as expected, but they work well in the D7000 [and higher], but not so much in lower model Nikon DSLRs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 4:58:06 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 29, 2012 4:58:48 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 5:01:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 5:07:32 AM PST
Thank you - this is exactly the information I was looking for. I had looked at numerous compatibly charts, so I know the lens are compatible - but just because something technically works doesn't mean it is of good quality - and that was my dilemma. I had not run across the screw mechanism being what makes the AF lenses work, good info to know. Thank you again for the responses - It helped make up my mind....

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 4:50:02 AM PST
I am actively seeking a used D200 because I have a few choice film-era manual-focus lenses that only work with that (and D300 and D7000). An f1.2 55mm becomes an ideal portrait lens with a wonderfully shallow depth of field that the modern point & shoot digital cameras lack.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 4:47:06 AM PST
Hark says:
"I am actively seeking a used D200 because I have a few choice film-era manual-focus lenses that only work with that (and D300 and D7000). An f1.2 55mm becomes an ideal portrait lens with a wonderfully shallow depth of field that the modern point & shoot digital cameras lack."

Those lenses *should* work on a D90 as well. That's one reason why I purchased a D90 as opposed to a lesser expensive Nikon body: the D90 allows me to use my 35mm camera lenses. However, the D7000 has some nice features and upgrades that the D90 lacks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 8:02:05 AM PST
EdM says:
The D90 lacks the lens menu item to allow for proper exposure metering [using manual or Aperture Priority modes] with Nikon AIS manual focus lenses. The lenses mount and can be shot, but you end up having to do exposure on a D90 [or any Nikon DSLR w/o the lens menu item] via 1) external exposure meter, 2) the proverbial "Sunny 16" rule, or 3) guessing, shooting, checking the apparent exposure of the just shot photo on the LCD, and then adjusting the exposure setting in the needed direction - repeat until the photo is properly exposed. Sort of Kentucky windage.

The last method [possibly combined with the sunny 16 rule for a starting point] actually works if used with some skill and experience/practice, but needless to say, this is not a recipe for getting quick action shots at the push of a button.

The same scene, after dialing in the exposure for it, can be shot using the same manual exposure for subsequent shots, until the light changes. OTOH, the human eye is not good at noticing light level changes [you automatically compensate using the eye's iris]. You can somewhat train your eye/brain to be cognizant of that, with difficulty. OTOH, you can chimp - look at the LCD - to review the previous shot's exposure ...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 10:27:31 AM PST
Hark says:
EdM, thanks for the correction to my earlier post! I learned something new today.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 12:12:22 PM PST
Baroleum says:
I understand that my AF-S DX lenses that I use on my D40 have built-in focus motors. I'd like to buy a D7000 but I've learned from these great posts that it, too, has a focus motor in the camera. How will these lenses interact? Will the focus motors fight each other???

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 12:20:11 PM PST
No, the lens "motor" will be used.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 12:54:10 PM PST
Baroleum says:
After thinking about this some more, I'm wondering if the D7000 has contacts that the lens points will touch? If not, then the camera doesn't know it's connected to a lens with its own focus motor. and the motor in the camera will be used. Sound logical? Thanks for your response.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 10:13:57 AM PST
EdM says:
"Sound logical?"

No. The D7000, like all recent Nikon cameras, has a full complement of contact points in its lens mount, through which it communicates with lenses.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/spec.htm

"Lens mount | Nikon F mount (with AF coupling and AF contacts)"

The D7000 has the intelligence to use its body lens motor on older AF lenses and to switch to the faster, quieter in-lens motor for AF-S lenses. The "CPU" in the lens tells the body which lens, carries focus and aperture info, etc. Even with older lenses that are strictly MF and which lenses lack any electrical contacts - this tells the camera about that fact - MF lens mounted. Also, the [lens CPU data] menu item in the D7000 allows the camera to do autoexposure in aperture priority and manual modes when the data is filled in, focal length and maximum aperture. For more, compare, e.g.:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/compatibility02.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:06:09 AM PST
Baroleum says:
Many thanks, EdM. Your explanations are exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you so much. BTW I had to replace the motors in two of my AF-S DX lenses within two years of purchase. Not the quality I expected from Nikon (although the lenses are made in China). I wonder how the D7000 would react if its lens' motor was not working?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 5:14:59 PM PST
EdM says:
I've not had that problem of the AF-S failing. I would expect that with the lens contacts telling the DSLR body that there was an AF-S lens attached, that the body would default to using/trying to use the lens's AF-S motor.

I don't believe that AF-S lenses can default backwards to using a body motor, but have never had this situation and so am not 100% sure. I would expect that you could use the lens as a manual focus lens, or you'd have to change out lenses and get the faulty lens fixed/replaced.

It must be borne in mind that today's lowest lines of consumer lenses are not rugged like metal and glass Nikkors of old. OTOH, the better consumer Nikkors of today are optically pretty good. Be sure to register your Nikon gear with Nikon USA, e.g., to get the extended 5 year warranty on lenses.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:59:28 PM PST
Baroleum says:
Thank you EdM.
I'm glad to offer you some of my experience.
1. It didn't matter that I hadn't registered my lenses. All I had to do was submit proof of purchase so they would see the date and they replaced motors two times at no charge.
2. On the third attempt to fix my focus motor issue, the five years had expired and the charge to repair the 18-55mm kit lens was estimated at $111.00 (and that must be a standard fee because they hadn't even looked at it). I know that to be true because they had issued a "find" order when I hadn't heard from them after a few weeks. They told me they found it that morning and I received the emailed estimate just an hour later. A new lens is just $3.50 more on Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 11:44:51 AM PST
EdM says:
And now you can factor the newly announced D7100 into your thought process...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/02/21/Nikon-launches-D7100-24MP-mid-range-DSLR-with-51-point-af-and-no-optical-low-pass-filter

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 11:04:40 AM PST
Baroleum says:
Oh, Gad! Thanks a lot, EdM!!! Just when I had my mind made up on the D7000. OTOH, the D7100 hype does sound intriguing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 5:04:10 PM PST
EdM says:
Bear in mind that it is expected to be about a month before first availability of the D7100, and that there are often shortages in the early months of any new well received DSLR and similar being out. As with the Olympus OMD EM5, or whatever its name is.

The D7000 remains a fine DSLR, but/and the D7100 has some newly advanced aspects - which may [or not] matter to you. Plus it will cost more, and the practical aspects of the D7100, which apparently lacks the usual optical low pass [anti-Moire] filter on the sensor, have not been widely tested out by people outside of Nikon at this time. OTOH, the _idea_ has been tested in the D800e, which has sold significantly better than Nikon expected.

Still, the specific implementation of this filter in a DX sensor has a "bleeding edge" aspect to it. How comfortable are you with being a bleeding edge consumer? IMO, it's good to know what the next generation will have, but the current generation may be the best choice [as well as best bargain] in the near term.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 5:17:18 PM PST
Baroleum says:
Again, I appreciate your food for thought. All good points to weigh. I've also read in these blogs that the first production runs of the D7000 had problems that could be attributed to the rush to market. That is another possibility to consider in the D7100. I'm wondering if it will be worth the add'l $300.00 over Amazon's price of $896.00 for the D7000. Lots to think about.... Thank you, EdM.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 9:06:39 AM PST
the d7000 is an amazing camera, i suggest going that route, and the $ you save, get yourself a lens or flash.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Nikon forum (293 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Nikon forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions