Customer Discussions > Nintendo DS forum

Appropriate DS games for 7-8 year old 2nd grade boy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2008 5:33:58 PM PST
Mom of Two says:
I need a couple suggestions. He has Cars (mastered it), Super Mario (loves it), and Star Wars Legos (loves it.) He also has Thrill Ride, but it's just not clicking for either of us.....can't figure it out!

I had picked up on an after T-day deal the Batman Lego game, but realized after I got it home it's for 10 years and up (probably due to difficulty). Does anyone have it and would you say it's a hard game? Also, would Zelda be too hard for a soon to be 8 year old?

Based on the what he does like, can you make some suggestions? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 5:46:54 PM PST
G-Rod says:
I'm getting my son Mario Kart for Christmas. I think you would be suprised how well kids can play the cames that cater to the older crowd. My son in 8 and seems to do just fine. Zelda on the other hand I'm not to sure about. It may be a bit too complex for him right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 5:52:27 PM PST
G-Rod says:
I'm getting my son Mario Kart for Christmas. I think you would be suprised how well kids can play the cames that cater to the older crowd. My son in 8 and seems to do just fine. Zelda on the other hand I'm not to sure about. It may be a bit too complex for him right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 12:21:38 AM PST
MomOBoys says:
My 8 year old loves the Zelda games. He and my niece have been playing Zelda: Phantom Hourglass since it first came out over a year ago. (He does get to parts that make him really "nervous" -scared- so he makes his game playing grandma play those parts. He's kind of a nervous kid though.)

He also loves Lego Indiana Jones, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, both Lego Star Wars games, Yoshi Topsy Turvey (Made for Game Boy advance but works great in the DS) and Animal Crossing: Wild World. We tried Nintendogs and he was good at taking care of the dogs, giving them walks, that kind of thing, but he didn't want to take the time to train the dogs so when he entered them in competitions they would respond to him properly. Your son may be more patient.

We haven't tried it yet, but my 8 year old really wants the new Pokemon game, and he's never played Pokemon before.

My 12 year old has lego batman and the 8 year old pines to play it. But it sounds like there is a lot of punching, fighting, shooting, that kind of thing. Not that the other lego games don't have that, but somehow - maybe it's the "darker" setting? - it seems to be much more violent than the other lego ds games.

For what it's worth, I hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 11:17:36 AM PST
Mrs. B. says:
MARIO KART! HANDS DOWN WINNER!
My hubby, son and I all love this for the DS plus the Wii. It's all the Mario characters, we love, racing each other in different crazy cars. You can chose which of your favorite characters you wish to be, and chose your car or bike. The better you do, you can unlock different vehicles. It's EASY to play, but challenging to beat your best time etc. Each course is a different beautiful whimsical course with some Mario bad guys popping out to get you as you drive by. It's also a multi-player game hook up game to play with others who have a DS. I like that you can play as long as you wish and turn it off without having to spend HOURS getting to the next level. You really can't go wrong with this game for your 2nd grader, or for any age. Been a Gamer-Mom, since the first Game Boy came out, and I think this is the best game yet! Others would disagree who prefer the fighting games, but this Mario game is true to the high Mario game standard. MAMA-MIA, You can't go wrong with MARIO! Have a Merry Christmas!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 8:50:18 PM PST
C. Andrews says:
Does he have both of the DS Super Mario Bro games? They are both pretty good. Zelda has some challenging points but he can look up how to get through them online if he gets stuck. Pokemon Diamond or Pearl are really fun. I even play them myself and suitable from the time a child can read. Lego Star Wars was fine for this age and I don't think Batman is much different so should be okay. Others that my 8 yr old loves include Fossil League, Viva Pinata, Monster Lab, Club Penguin, My Sims, Final Fantasy III and IV and Mario Hoops 3 on 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2008 7:07:46 AM PST
Mom of Two says:
Thank you to everyone for your input! I know he loves Mario Kart.....he has it for Game Cube, a hand-me-down he rec'd from his cousins, so I guess I didn't want to get it for the DS, although I agree it's a favorite, well-loved game.

I'm going to have to check into some of the other suggestions. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 12:40:53 PM PST
Did he likes pets ? Because there is a lot of good pets-related games out there: Nintendogs, Dogz, Catz, Monkeyz and so on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 2:44:43 PM PST
Jason Kibbe says:
My son is 6 and his favorites are Mario Kart DS, Mario Party DS, Super Mario 64 DS, New Super Mario Bros., Zelda Phantom Hourglass, New Kirby, Yoshi's Island, Sonic Rush, and Clubhouse Games. Most DS games are not too hard for younger kids, though some don't like the mild peril involved.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 10:25:34 AM PST
legos batman, my 6 year old GS loves it as does my Boyfriends 8 year old... as far as the punching thing for that game gee in starwars you just twist them into legos usein g the force instead of punching... whats the difference.... BTW both of these kids play Lego batman on the PS3 as well....thye love it because it is like the animated batman and ver much follows the comic books....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 12:57:45 PM PST
Mom of two says:
My son is 8 and in the 3rd grade. He likes Guitar Hero and the Backyard sports games (Baseball, basketball) and Madden. He played Mario Party until he got everything unlocked and really liked it. I think he would like Animal Crossing and Lego Indiana Jones also.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Nintendo DS forum (580 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Nintendo DS forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions