Customer Discussions > Nintendo DS forum

DS for Adults: Multi-Platform Discussions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2010 7:01:18 AM PST
As I mentioned in the DS for Adults discussion, I sometimes feel a little awkward having discussions about games for other systems on that thread--but as several of us own multiple systems, we often do want to discuss those, especially since so many of us feel like we know each other pretty well, share gaming tastes, appreciate the particular feeling of camaraderie in this group, and simply enjoy talking to each other.

So here's a separate little space for us to talk about issues related to our PSPs, PS3s, Wiis, and whatever other gaming systems we have. :)

I currently own the following systems, in addition to my DSi and DS Lite: PSP, PS1-3, Wii, GBA SP, GB Micro, Game Boy Original, and NES,

Here's what's on my mind right now: My husband recently gave me a PS3 (for Valentine's Day), and I'm still a little on the fence about keeping it. (I haven't even opened the box yet. It's just sitting there, waiting for me!) On one hand, I'd love the chance to play some great games that I've been missing, like Dragon Age Origins and Heavy Rain in particular. On the other hand, my gaming time is pretty limited, I'm not sure I'll get enough use out it to justify of another system, and I'm wondering if there are really enough titles that will appeal to me (and that won't just kick my butt so badly that I can't really enjoy them--yes, I'm talking to you, Demon's Souls).

KellyB, Raggie, and anyone else in our group who also owns a PS3, please tell me the reasons that justify keeping the PS3. What makes it worth it for you? What do you most enjoy? Also, are there any cool ways in which the PSP and PS3 are integrated?

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 7:58:50 AM PST
Raggie says:
Hi Classic! Thanks for starting this chat, I hope we can keep it up for for a while. Topics just tend to disappear after a while if no new posts are made, so I'll at least try to bump the thread with new posts sometimes.

I wish I could talk more about the cool features of PS3, but frankly it's been 90% of the time just a movie player. I have to say I've been very happy with it nonetheless, we watch a lot of movies. Classic, do you have any use for a Blu-Ray player? If you like watching DVDs and you have a HD television of a decent size, I really recommend trying out what Blu-Ray looks like. We have a projector instead of a TV, so our "movie screen" fills up the wall. HD picture looks glorious! But if you have a small TV that you watch from a distance, you might not be able to see the difference between BR and DVD.

So far I have only a handful of games on the PS3, but some upcoming games (like Final Fantasy XIII) look good, and I'm definitely going to buy Assassin's Creed II. I have to say I wasn't all that fond of Little Big Planet, to be honest. The controls were too loose for a platformer, but the game does look fantastic.

BTW, I have no first-hand experience on this, but everyone is claiming Dragon Age is best played on the PC. Not to say the console versions are bad at all, but supposedly the PC version gives the kind of precision of control that the console versions don't. Do you play games on the computer?

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 9:09:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2010 9:21:58 AM PST
Hi Raggie, Great to "see" you--and thanks so much for your response! :) I am very tempted by the Blu-Ray function of the PS3. We watch quite a few DVDs (42" LCD HDTV), and though many of the older films and classic that we own and enjoy may never be released on Blu-Ray, it seems like lots of new movies are being released on both formats. And we do a lot of Netflix, which offers Blu-Ray. To be honest, I've never seen a Blu-Ray player in action. Does it really make a significant difference?

I've played LBP only on the PSP, and just a bit of it so far. It's cute, but I'm not quite sure what I think of it yet otherwise. I wonder how the PSP version compares to the PS3 version. Have you tried the PSP version? KellyB, have you tried both? Final Fantasy XIII does look really good, and I'm also looking forward to 3D Dot Heroes (if I keep the system, which I'm increasingly thinking that I will). I'm also interested in Fat Princess (which apparently has a retail version in the works) and several other games on the PSN. I'm feeling a bit like a video game (and vg system) hoarder though!

I never play games on my computer, mostly because I'm just on it too much for work. Also, I might not ever get anything done if I had games readily available on my laptop. Plus, I'm a Mac person, so that pretty much eliminates all possibilities anyway.

Have you tried Valkyria Chronicles? That's now been recommended to me by a few different people.

And, yes, let's keep the discussion bumped. :)

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 12:23:48 PM PST
Purple Snow says:
Do you include playing games on the Computer in this post? I have a DS Lite, Wii, PSP, orginal XBox, Game Cube. I think a thread like this is cool.

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 2:08:50 PM PST
Sure! Welcome, Purple Snow! BTW, I know Raggie plays PC games too. :)

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 10:51:07 PM PST
Raggie says:
Welcome along, Purple! So, what do you like to play?

Classic, I do think the Blu-Ray looks a whole lot better than DVD. The difference is especially big with films that have a lot of detail in the picture. For example Lost with all the jungle in the background looks amazing. I personally think it's absolutely worth it, but then again we do have a really big picture so we see all the detail very easily, and the artifacts on the DVD picture are hard to miss. Your TV is big, so you should benefit from BR too.

I've never played LBP on the PSP because I wasn't able to finish the one on the PS3. I thought a lot of the levels were great, even fantastic, but the later levels are much more difficult and there it becomes a problem that the controls aren't all that great.

I'm also waiting for 3D Dot Game Heroes. Have you seen this trailer? http://movies.rpgamer.com/other/ps3/3ddh/3ddgh001.mov

My husband has Valkyria Chronicles. It seemed he was really enjoying himself, but then he gave up when there were levels that threw unexpected unfair punches that practically required to restart the level after playing it for an hour. My DH has a very low tolerance for games that frustrate. I would have played it myself, but I just don't like any sort of war games (unless it's sci-fi or fantasy, something far removed from reality). It's just a personal preference.

BTW, Dragon Age has a Mac version. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 5:53:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2010 6:15:57 AM PST
KellyB says:
Classic ~ I've played LBP on both PSP and PS3. They are pretty much the same except the PS3 has multi-player, the PSP doesn't. I agree with Raggie about the controls being loose, but I adore the game anyway.

Again, Raggie is correct about Dragon Age best being played on the PC. This is not firsthand experience, but comes from my DHs experience.

You know how I feel about Heavy Rain :)))

I'm as scared of Demon's Souls as you are :-0

I've never used the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player simply because I rarely watch/rent/buy movies --or TV for that matter. We also have a 42" LCD HDTV, so maybe I should give Blu-Ray a try.

For me, Uncharted 1 & 2, FEAR 1 & 2, Resident Evil 5, Alone In the Dark, Rock Band, my anticipation of Heavy Rain, (and hopefully Demon's Souls) make owning the PS3 worth it. I know there will be upcoming games (Assassins Creed II, God of War III) that will be must haves for me. Infamous is also waiting in the wings. I don't regret purchasing the PS3 at all.

I also plan to play Dragon Age and Oblivion, but on the PC.

Has anyone played the Thief series? I played on PC and really enjoyed those.

Posted on Feb 19, 2010 6:48:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2010 6:51:29 AM PST
Hey Raggie, Yep, I love that trailer. "Natural sword enhancement" gets me every time. ;) Where can you find a Mac version of DA: O. I haven't seen that anywhere, just Windows XP/Vista. I have a Macbook Pro running Windows XP on Parallels (in addition to OSX Leopard, of course), and I've tried playing a couple of PC games on the XP side, but it's just too buggy. Thanks for the heads-up on Valkyrie Chronicles. That's too bad about the frustration in later levels. I'm not usually into war games, but I do like SRPGs, and I've heard this one is particularly beautifully rendered.

I think I'm going to have to play more of LBP on the PSP--and then if I love it, I might try the PS3 version at some point in the future. So far, I think it's cute and I like the concept, but I'm not deep enough into it to fully appreciate its charms or weaknesses.

As for Heavy Rain, I've been gazing longingly at that one for quite some time too, KellyB. :) I just read a few more reviews, and it does look amazing. I've been really buried with work lately, but I think I'll hook the PS3 up this weekend so that I can be ready for it. I'm incredibly tempted to play the demo, but I don't want it to spoil anything for me. How did you feel about that, KellyB? Did the demo give too much away? Are there any demos for the Uncharted games, Fear 1 & 2, or RE5? I've heard that Uncharted 2 is better than the original, but if I get one for now, I should probably start with the first one...right?

L.A. Noire (release date TBA) looks good to me too.

I'm 99% sure I'm keeping the PS3, but what still gives me pause is the number of titles that interest me (maybe less than a dozen retail and just a few on the PSN) and the amount of time I have available. Oh, well. I might as well just take the plunge!

It seems like Thief was released only for the PC and Xbox. :(

Has anyone tried either of the Penny Arcade games?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 12:31:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2010 12:32:21 PM PST
Purple Snow says:
Reggie

I like puzzle games and rpg games. On my computer I have:

Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords
7 Wonders 1&2
Cubis Gold 2
Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
Nancy Drew: The Legend of the Crystal Skull

For my PSP:

Starwars Trio
LocoRoco
Chees Online
Lumines
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

I finally got out to get Shadow of Destiny (Yeah) I live in Southwestern PA and man do we have snow.

Posted on Feb 19, 2010 5:24:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2010 5:25:29 PM PST
Mickey says:
My family has a wii, PS3(60 gb), xbox 360, 3 dslites, PSP, 2 gameboy advance sp, 1 micro, 1 original gameboy, 2 gamecubes, NES, and an atari.

We use the PS3 for blu rays, PS3 games, and PS2 games.
Orange Box-Portal is one of the games on this and it is great!!!!

1 Heavenly Sword- never finished
2 Warhawk -online game my son likes it a lot
3 Ratchet and Clank Future:Tools of Destruction
4 Ninja Gaiden Sigma- Never opened
5 Uncharted Drake's Fortune Son and husband beat it.
6 Guitar Hero 3
7 Rockband
8 Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
9 Lego Star wars the complete Saga

10 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots--My husband played but never finished it.
11 Little Big Planet - My son likes the online where you play levels made by other gamers.
12 Valkyria Chronicles- My son likes but never finished
13 Haze
14. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves- my son beat the game 6 times-he loves it. My husband beat it also, I have not tried it but I have watched them play.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 8:05:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2010 8:09:43 PM PST
KellyB says:
Classic ~ Hmmm, I honestly don't know if there are demos for Uncharted, FEAR, or RE5.

I would start with the first Uncharted --just because I always, if possible, like to start with the first of anything --I'm anal that way :)

I don't think the Heavy Rain demo gave too much away at all. Actually, after playing it, it made me want the game even more. It didn't spoil anything for me. If I were you, I'd go ahead and play it. Then you can see how the controls and such work. This Tuesday, the 23rd, I should have it in my hot little hands. I can't wait!!

L.A. Noire looks pretty good, too. It's featured on the March cover of Game Informer magazine. Is that where you saw/heard about it?

I want BioShock for PS3 as well.

I also have to say Half Life was one of my favorite PC games.

I'll tell you what. If you end up deciding to keep your PS3, maybe in the future, when we're ready, we can both get Demon's Souls and tackle it together.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 8:12:58 PM PST
KellyB says:
Purple Snow ~ Please let us know what you think of Shadow of Destiny. I'm very interested in it and almost ordered it from Amazon this afternoon --but I resisted ;-P

Posted on Feb 19, 2010 8:20:54 PM PST
Hey KellyB, The only gaming mag I get is NP, but I came across something about L.A. Noire online--probably on Gamespot or IGN, though I honestly don't remember. I'm going to hook up the PS3 later tonight or tomorrow. My husband couldn't believe that I hadn't hooked it up already!

I'm going to get my feet wet with DA:O and Heavy Rain (and maybe also a few downloads) first, and then I'll decide where to go from there. I'm thinking maybe Uncharted after that. (I also tend to be anal about playing games in order, unless there are really quality issues with the first one). Then maybe Oblivion and/or Valkyria Chronicles. I'm also interested in Bioshock and Half Life at some point in the future. The Orange Box seems like a great deal too. Have you tried Dead Space? I've played a bit of Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii, but I believe it's an entirely different kind of gameplay.

As for Demon's Souls...deal. That sounds like a plan. :) DS looks great, but I think I'll definitely need a buddy to tackle that one. Give me some time--and let me know when you're ready for it.

Do any of you ever play multiplayer PS3 games online?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2010 8:50:45 PM PST
KellyB says:
Classic ~ I haven't tried Dead Space, but I spent a fair amount of time watching DH play it. Awesome game. Creepy and scary. It's in my 'games to play in the near future' pile.

Great! We have a deal for Demon's Souls. Take your time. I'd like to get a few more games under my belt before I tackle it. Master the controller (analog stick) a bit better, too.

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 5:29:05 AM PST
Fellow Wii Owners, Is anyone else planning on picking up Sakura Wars? I did the preorder package from Rosenqueen, and the game really looks promising to me. I'm probably also going to snag the new Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing game when it comes out. I'm a sucker for kart racing, and my stepkids and I enjoy playing them together when they come to visit. I figure before I know it, my son will be ready for basic racing games too. :)

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 7:28:22 AM PST
Raggie says:
Kelly, I've also played Thief 1 and 2. They must be the scariest games I've ever played, which is kind of funny about games where you are trying to *avoid* all sorts of violent confrontation. More than once I realized I was actually trying to hold my breath when I heard footsteps getting closer to my hideout.

I'm also looking forward to Heavy Rain. The reviews so far have been glowing!

Classic: just consider your PS3 is about quality vs. quantity. Handhelds are really convenient, but they do have their limitations. You can't play anything like Dragon Age on a handheld.

DA Mac version: Bioware website is advertising it as a downloadable version. I'm not sure if there even is a physical Mac version. http://dragonage.bioware.com/game/order-mac/

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 4:27:32 PM PST
Purple Snow, What are your initial impressions of Shadow of Destiny?

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 5:02:48 PM PST
Well put, Raggie. I only got a couple of hours of sleep last night but if I can manage to stay up tonight, I'm busting out the PS3. Since I already have DA: O for the PS3, I'll probably just stick with that one...though you do know what the major advantages of the PC/Mac version are supposed to be?

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 10:59:01 PM PST
Raggie says:
DA: from what I've heard, the fights in computer versions tend to be more strategic because the mouse gives you more control. So if you don't like the controls of your PS3 one, you might want to consider a Mac version instead.

Are you going to start the game soon? I'm still waiting for a price drop as usual. Tell me what you think about it!

I'm going to pass Demon's Souls. My main reason is that now with the climate change and all, my home country looks like Demon's Souls for half the year... I want my virtual worlds colorful, not depressing. ;-)

Sakura Wars is something I'm considering, but I'm still waiting to read reviews to see if it's really something I'd be interested in.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2010 4:35:49 AM PST
KellyB says:
*just consider your PS3 is about quality vs. quantity. Handhelds are really convenient, but they do have their limitations*

Raggie ~ Yes! That's what I wanted to say, but couldn't express it. There was a nice review of Heavy Rain in Game Informer magazine. The reviewer gave it a 9.5 --the second opinion review was an 8.5.

Classic ~ Did you hook up the PS3?

Purple Snow ~ Have you gotten a chance to play Shadow of Destiny?

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 7:18:24 AM PST
Raggie says:
I was just out shopping, and got really lucky. One shop was doing a big move sale, and I managed to snatch cheap copies of Fire Emblem for the DS and Disgaea for PS3! Classic, have you played Disgaea games? I've played the first one on PS2 and I really liked it. There's a really cheap Disgaea DS on Videogamesplus.com. Anyway, since you like strategy RPGs too, keep your eyes on Disgaea 3 for the PS3. It's supposedly really good.

Purple Snow, have you played Bust-A-Move games? They're some of my favorite puzzle games. There's currently one PSP version for sale on Videogamesplus.com.

We are having a blizzard in Finland. I guess I have to go out and walk the dog before it gets any worse!

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 7:55:21 AM PST
Hi All, I finally hooked up the PS3 last night--and, I have to say, I don't regret it AT ALL! :) Thanks for all of your encouragement! I've mostly just spent time setting up my PSN account and exploring the system functions so far. I have to say I'm really impressed. I popped in a BR that we'd rented from Netflix, and the picture quality was just amazing. I loaded up DA: O, and again the picture quality was so impressive. I've never seen a game look so good. I played the LBP demo (which I actually really enjoyed, so I think I'll have to pick that up sometime)--and again, for a game of this type, it just looked great. I also can't believe the size of the demo library. I'm used to the Nintendo Channel, which is fun but has only a few options at a time (often offering no games that I'm actually interested in and don't already own), so this just blows my mind. I left the system on last night to download 12 other demos (love how it multitasks), including demos of Uncharted 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Fat Princess, Dead Space, Dante's Inferno, Infamous, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing...and bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head. I could probably spend several months just playing demos!

I'm honestly a little bit of a technology junkie (LOL, in case you hadn't noticed), and this is probably deserves the award for one of my coolest toys! At least for now. ;-P

Yay--I'm so excited! And I can't wait until the BR version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy is released this spring!

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 8:00:20 AM PST
Hey Raggie, Disgaea 3 is definitely on my PS3 wishlist. I've played some of Disgaea DS and loved it, but it somehow got pushed into my backlog. I also ordered Disgaea 2 (PSP) from Rosenqueen awhile back, but since I preordered Sakura Wars at the same time, I won't get it until everything ships next month.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a blizzard. It's sunny and 56 (Fahrenheit) here right now. ;-P Actually, though, we're supposed to get rain later today and tomorrow. We have two seasons in Southern California: fire and mud. This is mud season. I think I might prefer snow...but probably not a blizzard. Stay warm!

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 12:04:47 PM PST
AlexJouJou says:
So has anyone played Silent Hill Shattered memories for the PSP?

Normally I don't like these types of games (I stick to puzzle and RPG mostly). I haven't been very active on any amazon forums for quite some time (used to be on the Nintendo DS for adults one all the time!) since I started doing a lot of reviews for different websites.

Anyway this keeps continuing to draw me everytime I go to the store..not sure what to make of it. I think the only real "M" game I've played on the PSP was God of War Chains of Olympus which I loved but got stuck on I think about 2/3 the way in and never finished (I suck at platormers as I have terrible timing!). I am also looking at Dante's Inferno which looks similar.

Sometimes I feel like I never play any sort of "adult" games as I tend to buy the RPG and puzzle games that are E or T.

I don't play console's since I cannot play until the kids are in bed and I want to lay in bed and relax not sit in front of the TV..and we only have a PS2 and a Wii..and honestly the Wii hardly gets any use unfortunately. The PS2 gets way more!

Been thinking about a PS3 but we don't have HD TV (still have the old tube tv's) and I can't afford one right now.

Don't know there are enough games that we'd play on the PS3 since mostly my son would play.

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 12:07:29 PM PST
Purple Snow says:
Reggie,

I have Bust-A-Move for PSP, I also have Puzzle Scape, Lumines and Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords, for the PSP. I love them all. Thank you for the suggestion.

KellyB,

I love Shadow of Destiny, I am still getting use to the controls and there is a lot of searching and running around looking for places that could give you clues. Talk to the people some are rude but you never know when one might be help you. I will let you know when I get more into the game.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 79 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Nintendo DS forum (578 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Nintendo DS forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  1957
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2010
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions