Customer Discussions > Nintendo DS forum

DS Games for Adult PART 3

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 14, 2012 11:29:01 AM PST
Well we are going to Denver in a couple of days to the Pepsi Center to watch the high school state wrestling tournament, like we have done for the last several years. We don't have any kids wrestling any more, since our youngest son now wrestles in college, but we still enjoy going. I'm going to try taking my 3ds there to see if I can get any streetpass hit, since I have never gotten any. Maybe there will be a lot of kids there who will also have theirs on them. Who knows? Do I just have to have the unit on, or what?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 11:36:54 AM PST
Puzzler says:
Toni, if, when I get stuck in a game, I end up starting a section over *only* 3 times, I'm doing pretty well! LOL.

I was recently playing Max & the Magic Marker. Eventually, I got about 50% of the way thru the game, but then passed it on. On my way to 50% completion, there were some areas (admittedly, very short areas) that I replayed 10-20 times. Maybe more. :) It's kind of a platformer with very brief segments between save points (thank goodness!), but I just had a terrible time with it. It has a little bit of a "Drawn to Life" tinge---you draw various things to help your character move thru the level. Yikes--not my forte!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 11:51:59 AM PST
Puzzler says:
Classic, your efforts in both generating and compiling that list were very much appreciated. :-)

If we do it again, though, can we give some thought to moving the Layton games out of "edutainment"? It just doesn't seem right to group them with brain trainers/language learning/cooking/drawing and other "learn a skill" games. They almost seem to be in a separate puzzle-adventure category, but I can certainly see not wanting to generate yet another category. Even so, they seem more suitable to the "Puzzles" category if not "Puzzle-Adventure". Games like Layton, May's Mystery, Emily the Strange, Hollywood Crimes: they are basically compilations of 100+ puzzles with a story wrapped around them. So I just think lumping them in with other puzzle games (if not adventure or puzzle-adventure) might be more appropriate.

However, I may be the only person to feel that way, so feel free to continue as you see fit! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 11:58:55 AM PST
I think that's a great idea, Puzzler. It might be helpful to add puzzle-adventure and puzzle-platformer as two new sub-categories the next time we do it. What do you think?

If we vote on 3DS games as well, we'll also have to give some thought to how we want to approach that. Since the library is still fairly small and still quite new to many of us, it might be good to just vote on DS & 3DS titles combined while making a notation to indicate the titles that are 3DS-specific. Thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 12:19:07 PM PST
Puzzler says:
I agree, Classic. As yet, there just aren't that many 3DS games, so a blended list that just highlights the 3DS games sounds fine. Or, if people wanted them pulled out separately, maybe one separate group for the 10 (or 15 or 20--whatever seems appropriate) most highly thought of 3DS games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 12:54:55 PM PST
saskamazon says:
yes, the unit must be powered on to receive street passes ... you did the settings to enable spot / street pass ? wifi on .... & just hope. electronic stores / food courts in malls are good places to get some ... they really help with puzzle pieces & Find Mii ....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 1:27:44 PM PST
Puzzler~

I bought Max and the Magic Marker when it was marked down to $10 at GS, but still haven't unwrapped it. Is it worth playing? Can you give a brief review? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 1:42:43 PM PST
The 3DS should be turned on but in sleep mode, DKG. You also should be sure you have Streetpass & Spotpass enabled, and the wifi turned on.

This NL piece has some nice info about it:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/04/talking_point_streetpass_is_silent_communication_the_future

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 2:12:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 2:17:09 PM PST
Puzzler says:
SFCG, I don't have a lot to add to what I already said. It's a platformer. You are trying to get your character from point A to point B, collecting a variety of items along the way. As you fill your marker, by collecting ink blobs, you can draw things to help you move along and/or protect you from dangers you encounter along the way.

You know I've gotten a lot more selective about my games lately, so it's hard for me to advise you on whether to keep it. The reviews on it are positive: Max & the Magic Marker. I just found that it wasn't the first game I reached for when I wanted to play. So, after playing it awhile, I felt like I was ready to move on to other games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 2:22:24 PM PST
I like "Drawn to Life", but the boss battles kill me. I need to pick that game back up and try to finish it soon. I have sooo many that I've played a bit of and then put it away to play another game. I really need to start finishing some of them. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 2:44:28 PM PST
Puzzler~

Thanks for the added bit of info on Max and the Magic Marker. I'll wait and get around to it some day. :-/

Toni~

That's what does me in and seals the deal when it comes to any game with boss battles. I HATE them!!! I don't know how many games I've just dropped on the spot because of boss battles. YUCK!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 4:40:11 PM PST
Puzzler says:
SFCG, you and I have both been willing to try a wide variety of games, but we don't always end up liking the same ones. That's why I'm reluctant to speak strongly in 1 direction or the other on "Max".

As I recall, you were kind of so-so on James Noir's Hollywood Crimes and I really enjoyed it. (I can always tell if I really like a game--I'm MUCH more likely to play it thru to completion!) I also really enjoyed May's Mystery while a bunch of folks on this board were much more negative on it. I enjoyed Mystery Quest: Curse of the Ancient Spirits, and you were less positive on it. So...hard to make recommendations.

Toni, I keep saying I'm not going to get any new games until I play some of the ones I already have. My best laid plans do frequently go awry. :) I have gotten a few new games lately, but I've either played them thru or played "enough" and then passed them on (via sale/trade/whatnot).

I am still determined to play down the backlog. I was looking thru the stash a couple of days ago, and while my total number is down, there's still a LOT of game playing time represented by that box of games I've gotten, but not gotten to. LOL

One thing I noticed while looking thru the box...I *may* be able to make myself feel better if I quit considering that stash as all "backlog". Some of them are games I've played, but consider "keepers". My puzzle games that I can go back to and play again and again, e.g.

Do any of you separate your "keepers" from your "backlog"? Or, if it's in your stash, is it ALL backlog?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 5:06:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 5:06:37 PM PST
Puzzler~

You're right about Hollywood Crimes and Mystery Quest. Our opinions on those games are definitely opposite. ;-) I have come to the conclusion that I need to stay away from Professor Layton-type games. :-/

I read the 2 reviews on Max, but didn't come away with any more info about the gameplay. It sounds like it won't be too difficult.

I have my backlog and keepers all in the same storage container. Then, I have a container I keep in the livingroom that has most of the newer/want-to-get-to-sooner-than-later games in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 6:16:10 PM PST
Weemadarthur says:
Backlog, to me, is only the games that are single play through. Particularly if I am likely to sell/trade them.

Ones I'll keep forever don't need to be completed, or have been already, or whatever.

I use the backloggery site to track my games, and it has a Null value for games that can't be beaten - like Tetris. I have a bunch in there, probably more than 10 games.

Some games I don't like enough to finish. Others I don't seem to have the skill to finish, and have to pretend I beat them because I got TO the final boss or something.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 6:51:17 PM PST
The ones I play often are in cases that hold 16 games each and the others are in the original boxes. All of them are in a basket by my chair, along with books I want to read soon. I think I've just about given up collecting games in favor of collecting free kindle books. I'll never read all the kindle books I have and might never get around to finishing all the games I have. :(

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 6:54:45 PM PST
Chynared, I finished "Relic" this evening and really enjoyed it. Have you read the sequel? I was wondering if it was any good?

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 7:28:16 PM PST
Toni: Went back to read what Relic was on Amazon, it's been such a long time since I read it...but it was the first book about Agent Pendergast. There are so many books with Pendergast...that I've gone and read all of them in the past....including his latest. I loved Agent Pendergast's character!!

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 7:48:45 PM PST
Whew, I finally got through that rough spot in Years 5-7. And I keep all of my games in a basket by my chair (end of the sectional) too. Backlog, keepers, currently playing, etc. It's a good thing we have a big house with a living room and a family room! I also keep my kindle fire and my laptop there too!

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 7:52:16 PM PST
Smallcat says:
I have always loved Donkey Kong and Mario on any game system. But I have a DS now, too.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 3:14:35 AM PST
Thanks, Cynthia, I didn't realize there was a whole series. I may see if I can find some used copies on ebay or half.com instead of getting them on my kindle. You can usually get used paperbacks on half.com for .99 and shipping which is less than the kindle version would cost. I always love it when I find a new author and series that I like.

Debra, I keep all my stuff in my basket too....both of my kindles, my games, books I want to read....and my laptop is under the chair. It can get to be a mess because I try to fit too much into that poor basket.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 3:28:46 AM PST
Can someone tell me how important it is to read the Agent Pendergast novels in order? I found a "lot" of 5 books on ebay for a pretty good price.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 4:00:07 AM PST
Cris says:
Glad you enjoyed Relic Toni. As Cynthia mentioned, they're all good but each has a different flavor to it. IMO Relic was the goriest, the others not so much but great reads nonetheless.

To answer your question...technically no but the subsequent ones will mention the past briefly but not enough to make you feel like you're missing out on something. Me...I like to read things in order :-)

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 4:12:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 4:13:30 AM PST
I like to read things in order too. Always afraid I will miss something. lol I bought the "lot" of books on ebay, which ended up being 6 books instead of 5, and got them for a really good price. I also found the second in the series and bought that one too for 1.00. When I get done with them, I'll lend them to my cousin whe reads all the horror books that I can find for him out of my stash.

I know I mentioned this before, but if you, or anyone else likes the Agent Pendergast, you will like the Repairman Jack series. They really have to be read in order because the story builds up to a climax in the last book, which comes out this summer. There is also a companion series called the Adversary series that also needs to be read along with the others because they come together in the last few books. Then there are the YA books about Jack's teen years that fill in some of the story.....plenty to keep you reading for a long time. lol But they are really good! I managed to get most of them on ebay or half.com or I couldn't have afforded to read them all. I still have some of them left to read since I didn't want to read them all and forget what was going on before the last one comes out. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 4:33:14 AM PST
Cris says:
Lol...I just started reading a library book only to find out it's the 5th book :-p

I'm going to check out the series you mentioned...I love books that build oneach other.

Gamewise, still playing Bejeweled 3 when I have a few minutes to kill. I also picked up Populous on Raggie's recommendation and Harvest Moon 3D...wasn't the greatest fan of the HM series but this one sounded cute.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 10:58:00 AM PST
Puzzler says:
In my quest to pare down my total game inventory, I made a mistake when I chose Lego Harry Potter Yrs 1-4 to grab from my stash and play now. I'm making good progress with it, but I can tell I'm going to end up hanging onto the game to play more later. There are all those things to try to collect that you can't get the first time thru. Drat! I'm enjoying the game, but I want to play, then "offload" some games. So Lego HP was a poor choice on my part. ;-)

On the other hand, as a purchase, it was a good choice, because it IS a fun game with quite a bit of gameplay. :-)
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Nintendo DS forum
Participants:  88
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions