Customer Discussions > Nintendo DS forum

DS for Adults: Multi-Platform Discussions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 28, 2010 10:29:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2010 10:31:17 AM PST
Raggie says:
Lady Gryphon, you don't need to worry about system requirements with most of those games, since they're old. Even newer adventure games don't require that much hardware to run, like Machinarium.

I also really loved The Longest Journey. I loved the story and the character of April Ryan, and the worlds of Stark and Arcadia. Did you know it has a sequel, Dreamfall?

Monkey Island games are probably best played in order. The new episodes make up the 5th part of the series. The first game The Secret of Monkey Island, which is possibly the best one, was fairly recently remade and it's for sale on Steam as well as for the Xbox Live Arcade. It's nine dollars in Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/32360/

The Secret of Monkey Island is one of those rare games that constantly kept me laughing out loud. There's so many great moments in there. And I really want a T-shirt that says "I found the Secret Treasure of Meleé Island (TM) and all I got was this stupid T-shirt."

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 10:40:59 AM PST
Stupid question but I honestly don't know the answer: Does Steam just offer computer games, or can Steam be used to get games onto the PS3?

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 10:49:44 AM PST
Raggie says:
That's not a stupid question. :-) Unfortunately Steam offers only computer games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2010 11:57:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2010 12:14:26 PM PST
KellyB says:
Raggie ~ I've played,

Gabriel Knight 1, 2, & 3
The Dig
Sanitarium
Syberia 1 & 2

Good memories. I played and absolutely loved the Laura Bow games --The Colonel's Bequest and The Dagger of Amon Ra.

I looked forward to Sierra releasing new games from Jane Jensen and Roberta & Ken Williams.

Phantasmagoria 1 & 2, the Gabriel Knights, and the Laura Bows were my favorite games --along with the Alone In the Dark series.

I have some boxes in the spare bedroom filled with old PC games. Now I want to go through them and see which games I've forgotten about.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 12:13:57 PM PST
Raggie says:
Laura Bow was one of those games I really wanted to play back then, but it took me a long time to get a copy (I finally got one with Roberta Williams collection). I was unable to play very far because of compatibility issues. I hope they are going to re-release the Laura Bow games on gog.com since they now have the old Sierra backlog. I love games where you solve a mystery. In fact, a long time ago I had a website for mystery game reviews.

Quest for Glory was another series I wanted to play, but somehow I missed them.

I also had the original Alone in the Dark. I loved the atmosphere, hated the difficulty. It got me into reading H.P. Lovecraft.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 10:44:05 PM PST
Hey Raggie, Do you know how the original Monkey Island games relate to (or compare to) those on the Wii?

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 1:08:38 AM PST
Raggie says:
The first two Monkey Island games are the ones that have given the series its classic status. After the original creator, Ron Gilbert, left the company, LucasArts continued the series with two more games. Monkey Island 3 is generally considered to be a good addition to the series, the next one not so much. A few years ago LucasArts started to drop its adventure game development in order to milk the Star Wars franchise with terrible license games, and that's when some of the Lucasarts employees left and started their own company, Telltale games. Telltale bought a license from LucasArts to continue the Monkey Island series, and that's how the new Monkey Island episodes came to be. While Telltale released the first episodes, LucasArts released a remake of the first game of the series, now called "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition". Currently it's available for PC, Xbox Live Arcade and iPhone Touch.

For someone new to Monkey Island, I'd recommend starting with the first game. Even though the Tales of Monkey Island episodes are newer and generally well-received, they are still the fifth part of the series, and they kind of do assume you are already familiar with the characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2010 6:44:32 AM PST
PJ Pooka says:
Raggie~Thanks again for the list.I loved Syberia(ds).On PC,which windows is Syberia 1 and 2?Do you know if it is available on Vista?It seems like once I was looking somewhere about Syberia and it was only XP.

The only handheld game system I own is the DS.We also have Gamecube,Wii,Playstation 3,NES,Nintendo 64 whoops forgot Micro DS, and Playstation2.

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 6:56:34 AM PST
Raggie says:
I played Syberia 1 on Playstation 2 and Syberia 2 on Windows 2000. I honestly don't know how well the game runs under Vista, but looking at Big Fish website, they're offering both games and Vista is in the system requirements. You might want to try this site, if I understand correctly they will give you a refund if you're unable to get it running. I could be wrong though.

With Gabriel Knight, I think another adventure game that should be on the top of your to-do list is The Longest Journey. Looking at what you've liked, I'm pretty sure you'll really enjoy that one. I think it's available in both www.gog.com and Steam.

Posted on Mar 1, 2010 12:39:33 PM PST
Raggie says:
Attention all PS3 owners! UNLESS YOU OWN A NEW SLIM MODEL OF THE PLAYSTATION 3, DO NOT TURN ON YOUR MACHINES! Read this:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1073007p1.html

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2010 1:08:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2010 7:29:29 PM PST
KellyB says:
Thanks for posting that, Raggie. I've been playing Miles today, but was planning to turn on the PS3 tonight --which is a phat model. Now, I'll just continue with Miles --I'm having fun with him anyway :)

*Edited* I'm playing HR now -- I just didn't log on to PSN.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2010 7:30:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2010 7:31:20 PM PST
KellyB says:
Classic ~ I've been playing HR the last couple of hours. I just started playing as Madison Paige. I'm really becoming engrossed in the story.

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 12:55:31 AM PST
Raggie says:
It looks like it's okay to use the PS3 again. I hope none of you lost any data!

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 5:46:07 AM PST
KellyB says:
Classic ~ Are you up to the Madison Paige character in HR yet? Or are you past that?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2010 6:08:34 AM PST
PJ Pooka says:
Raggie~Thanks,the spot I had liiked at before said Syberia on a dif. window.I will check out Longest journey,too.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 4:57:07 AM PST
KellyB says:
Classic ~ I received a $10.00 promotional credit from Amazon for buying Alice In Wonderland. I'm going to order Shadow of Destiny and use the credit for it.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 6:48:14 AM PST
Hey KellyB, Yep, I'm past the Madison Paige part. I'm Ethan in Lexington Station right now. Still enjoying it! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 7:13:39 AM PST
KellyB says:
Classic ~ Okay, I got past Lexington Station last night. We're probably in about the same place. I'm still enjoying it, too. I'll play after work tonight :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 9:42:09 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 3, 2010 10:34:00 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 12:11:03 PM PST
Purple Snow says:
KellyB

You are going to love Shadow of Destiny.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 1:49:54 PM PST
Cori says:
I've been poking my head in here but haven't said hello. Hi!

We've had all the Nintendo tv console systems and my kids all had GBAs. With my eyesight, I never could play the non-backlit handhelds. I've mentioned before that as far as console systems go, my avid playing days ended with N64 because of the 3D worlds and the motion sickness they cause me. The only game I played avidly on N64 was Tetrisphere. I would love to have that game again! On Gamecube we had a silly little game that I loved and played clear through. I think it was called Ribbit King. That's another one I'd like to play again.

Our main tv is a 27" CRT type that we've had for a dozen or so years, and I'm suddenly super anxious to get a new one. For our size living room, I'm thinking a 40" or 42" flatscreen. I've been trying to do research and it's scrambling up my brain...worse than it usually is. My thought lately has been to get a new tv now and maybe a sound system and PS3 for Christmas. I'll have to start taking notes on all your PS3 talk. Then again, it might drive me to not waiting for Christmas.

This part is maybe only interesting to CA Moniak, if she sees it: I had been on a long hiatus from WoW and finally cancelled my subscription the middle of February. That sure didn't last long. I got talking to my daughter the other day and decided to roll characters on the server she and my son in law had recently migrated to. Since Monday I've gotten a Draenei mage to level 14 (my main character is an Undead mage), a Draenei hunter to level 13, and have also made a Death Knight (human) and worked through the starting quests. I've always been teased about being the gold hungry, tight-fisted one by family and friends in game, so it has been difficult to start fresh and be broke! I'm trying to live up to my reputation though and have made close to 100g in the 2 days since I started.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 2:31:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2010 2:31:47 PM PST
Hey Cori, We've had a 42" Vizio for several years now, and we love it. It was really a bargain compared to lots of other LCDs available at the time, and it's done well for us so far. I think the prices of all HDTVs have dropped even further now. :)

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 4:19:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2010 4:20:19 PM PST
Hey Raggie, I noticed that The Longest Journey has a sequel (Dreamfall) for PC and Xbox. Have you ever played it?

Anyone else?

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 4:20:28 PM PST
Cori says:
Thanks, CGGB! I have been very much considering going with Vizio, so I definitely appreciate hearing your opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 4:41:25 PM PST
PJ Pooka says:
Cori~My hub. sells electonic.He said Vizio was a good brand.Just wanted to let you know.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Nintendo DS forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  1913
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2010
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions