Customer Discussions > Nintendo DS forum

Streetpass.. Has anyone actually had any luck with this?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 115 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2011 8:04:30 AM PST
mom2all4 says:
My son has had a 3ds since release day and even though he often takes it out with us he has never gotten any information from the Streetpass. I know initially the 3ds didn't catch on as Ningtendo hoped but after lowering the price there are so many out there. Just wondering if anyone uses this feature or has any luck receiving any data.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 9:04:28 AM PST
It really just depends on the areas he's taking it and the chance that others are doing the same and around at the same time. I've heard that it actually has a little trouble picking up other systems too, sometimes, though I've never tested it, myself.

If you want to be sure that it's working properly, at least, try taking the system to a Best Buy or GameStop that has 3DS display models set up, and see if you can't at least get it to read those.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:03:44 AM PST
Just to rule out the obvious- your son does keep the 3DS on in sleep mode, yes?

I have actually noticed an increase in StreetPass activity since Black Friday. First of all I'd check out the places where 3DS owners get free WiFi access like Best Buy and any place with an AT&T Hotspot (like Starbucks.) A few days ago I was at the coffee shop in barnes & Noble and picked up two streetpasses. I have also had good results at Farmer's Markets, on the university campus or at downtown cafes. If a major 3DS game is about to come out you might try your local Gamespot or WalMart or any place you buy your games from. You might even post in the video games section on Craigslist and see if anybody would be interested in a Mario Kart 7 meetup. If everbody brought their 3DS systems to play then your son would get lots of streetpasses.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 4:51:06 PM PST
mom2all4 says:
Yes, he leaves it on. I thought that was part of the problem but I doubled checked behind him and it was on.

Thanks! I never would have thought about some of your suggestions. We might even have better luck after Christmas since there were so many deals out there on the system. I'm a little bummed that I paid full retail but who could've guessed it would come down so much so quickly?? Sigh.

I like the Craigslist idea but because he's so young I would have to tweak it a little (maybe have a DS party/playdate with some kids from his school??) Thanks again for the ideas.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 10:18:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2011 6:58:03 AM PST
Malls (especially the food court) and gamestores tend to be good places to get Streetpass tags. I have 32 different characters in my Streetpass Plaza now--some with multiple tags--so it's definitely possible to get hits. You might also want to check out this website to see if there are any Streetpass gatherings in your area to which you could take your son: http://streetpassnetwork.com/groups/

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 8:11:41 AM PST
d-backfever says:
I've had my 3DS since April and I've only gotten two Streetpass hits; both recently. It's not for lack of trying though....I've gone to to all the places Classic suggested. The two I've gotten were at best buy when mariokart came out.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 6:32:25 AM PST
saskamazon says:
I have been seeing an increase in streetpass tags ... one day over the Christma trip, my sons unit received 8 - I was stunned! that was a first for us .... we both have over 20 Miis in the plaza, & his is closer to 30 .... always exciting to receive them. Mii 2 is a lot more challenging than the first. we're stuck in a poison filled room currently ....

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 5:46:29 PM PST
Obviously everybody's results will vary but I regularly get tagged when I go to the coffee shop inside of the local Barnes & Noble. Sometimes I get two tags in the time it takes for me to have a cup of coffee and look at some books. I bought my second 3DS on December 6th and it has just over 30 StreetPass tags and 125 Miis living in the plaza. I even have a couple of people I have tagged three times.

I do think that the 3DS StreetPass is fairly powerful. I have seen that little green light when getting out of the car so it must be able to tag other systems through two moving vehicles. It largely is a matter of keeping your 3DS with you. Once you get a few tags you will tend to carry your 3DS around more often.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 8:06:01 AM PST
jr da man says:
I usually keep my 3ds in my truck everywhere I go with streetpass on but I have yet to pick up on anyone. I am hoping to soon pickup someone at gamestop or best buy

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 8:14:45 AM PST
saskamazon says:
since Christmas, I have had lots more street passes.... & as Jason says, it must have a pretty good range - I'm able to get passes from inside my house. I live on a busy corner & people either walking or driving by, register. my new Christmas unit has almost as many tags now as my June model .... so more units are roaming around.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 5:27:05 PM PST
My one and only Streetpass came from my local GameStop. I must be in an area where few people carry their 3DS.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 8:04:18 PM PST
Have you tried malls, SFCG? I'm up to 41 in my Streetpass Plaza now, but I've also had mine since March.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 7:21:27 AM PST
saskamazon says:
my June 3DS has 28 in the plaza .... my Christmas unit already has 24! lots more people seem to have them post Christmas .... my small city has 1/4 million - university town. keep trying, you'll eventually get some guests - always exciting when you do .

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 5:51:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 5:55:38 PM PST
Rebecca says:
I get most of my streetpasses at the mall near me - it has several game stores in it so there tends to be a lot of people with a 3ds there. I also got some at a renaissance festival too, and the state fair brings a lot of people to one place so it would be a great place to get streetpass hits. I know a lot of people brought their 3ds to my state fair.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 8:14:06 PM PST
lolol...I never go to the mall. Maybe I should take a trip over there. It doesn't help that I live in an adult community where there's very few kids or younger people. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 8:21:21 PM PST
How does a city girl not go to the mall? There must be an interesting story there.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 10:32:21 AM PST
When you go on vacation bring your 3DS in sleep mode (make sure it's not asleep in a game) and you may just get a hit or two. Even possibly driving out and about may bring you in range of a 3DS.

I actually think I got a hit when I went to a bowling alley. Sadly forget to charge my 3DS before I left for my second time at bowling.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 5:33:51 PM PST
Well I got a grand total of 9 Mii's over the weekend at the Pepsi Center in Denver this past weekend. I would've thought I'd have gotten more, though, since that place held about 15,000 people, and I was there 3 different days, but I'll take what I can get. One of them said they were 7 yrs old.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 8:00:52 PM PST
46 total after this holiday weekend. I know some people have hundreds in their StreetPass Plazas, esp in NYC, but I feel pretty lucky to be nearing 50. :)

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 8:08:27 PM PST
There must not be too many 3ds's in Colorado :(

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 7:05:56 AM PST
saskamazon says:
my son has 41 guests in the plaza, I have 31 on my Christmas unit - so lots more hits since Christmas. my June unit only has 29 .... they're lonely ! :-)

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 6:20:19 PM PST
Gosh, you guys 'only' have that many?! I told you how many people were in that building I was in and I only got 9 over the course of 3 days! And 1 was a duplicate!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 6:50:56 PM PST
Yeah, but I've had my system since March. Honestly, I don't think I've ever gotten 9 in just 3 consecutive days, and think about how many millions of people are in the greater Los Angeles area.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:12:44 AM PST
This is true. Although I was in Denver, and that's no small place. I'll be in Las Vegas next week. Anyone know the range of the 3DS?

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:28:33 AM PST
saskamazon says:
gosh, I'm starting to feel pretty lucky out here in my 1/4 million town .... 8 in one outing is pretty good then. I like getting the ones who are walking / driving by my house. they're always a treat - since you are at home, you don't expect new guests, & low & behold, there they are !
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Nintendo DS forum (581 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Nintendo DS forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions