Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Nora Roberts forum

Sisters Trilogy..Similars?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2008 6:39:54 PM PDT
L. Moore says:
Am looking for something as good as her Earth/Wind/Fire (Sisters Trilogy) was. I dont get to read alot, and really miss it. Would like to invest in another set of books just as good as, if not better (if that is possible) than this set. I love the magic element, along with the romance. I also like mystery type romances. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2008 6:13:03 PM PDT
I loved the Sister's Trilogy too. I read Nora Robert's Key Trilogy which is very similar. It has all the same elements: 3 guys and 3 girls, magic, and mystery. I enjoyed it even more than the Sister's Trilogy.
Key of Light (one)
Key of Knowledge (two)
Key of Valor (three)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2008 8:27:34 PM PDT
L. Moore says:
That sounds perfect and right up my ally, thanks, I will order them all!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2008 8:10:17 AM PDT
Liana Yorke says:
Many of her Trilogies follow this same format. You'd think it would make an artist stale, but I love reading her books! Although the same basic premise is there(Good vs Evil, 3boys/girls magic, sleuth work...), it's how she takes the charcters in each series that pulls you in.

The Irish Trilogy with Heart of the Sea,
The Circle Trilogy with Morrigan's Cross,
In the Garden Trilogy with Black Rose...those are just a few.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2008 6:20:18 AM PDT
The Sisters Trilogy was great. "Dance Upon the Air", "Heaven and Earth", and "Face the Fire" were very entertaining and took you into the mystical world of witchcraft.
To find other Nora Roberts (NR) stories that are as good, you'd first want to zero in on what you loved most about it.

For other trilogies/stories that deal with similar characters to Nell, Ripley, & Mia, with that added touch of the surreal, I'd read NR's:

Dream series: Daring to Dream (Margo=Mia), Holding the Dream (Kate=Ripley), Finding the Dream (Laura=Nell w/ kids)

The Irish Trilogy: Jewels of the Sun (Jude=Nell), Tears of the Moon (Brenna=Ripley), Heart of the Sea (Darcy=Mia)

The Calhoun Women (4 sisters, so characteristics spread out a bit): Courting Catherine (CC=Ripley), A Man for Amanda, For the Love of Lilah, Suzanna's Surrender (Suzanna= Nell with kids)

The Key Trilogy: Key of Light (Malory= Mia-esque), Key of Knowledge (Dana= Ripley), Key of Valor (Zoe=Nell-esque)

The Circle Trilogy: Morrigan's Cross (Glenna=Mia), Dance of the Gods (spoiler, so unnamed=Ripley), Valley of Silence

The MacKade Brothers: The Return of Rafe MacKade, The Pride of Jared MacKade, The Heart of Devin MacKade (Nell w/ kids), The Fall of Shane MacKade

For well written stories with great characters & family relationships (based in a more realistic world), I'd read NR's:

MacGregor series

Chesapeake Bay series: Sea Swept, Rising Tides, Inner Harbor, Chesapeake Blue

Concannon Sisters: Born in Fire, Born in Ice, Born in Shame

Stanislaski Series: Taming Natasha, Luring a Lady, Falling for Rachel, Convincing Alex, Waiting for Nick, Considering Kate (some are now published in groupings, such as, The Stanislaski Brothers, etc)

The O'Hurleys: The Last Honest Woman, Dance to the Piper, Skin Deep, Without A Trace

Cordina's Royal Family: Affaire Royale, Command Performance, The Playboy Prince, Cordina's Crown Jewel (series also now published in groupings)

I hope this helps. Happy reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2008 7:02:42 AM PDT
GBR says:
You also may want to try "Three Fates." It's only one book, but it's about 3 couples and very similar to her trilogies only the story is condensed into one volume.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 12:07:31 AM PDT
You should definitely check out the series Captivated, Entranced, and Charmed. Great series about three cousins with an ancient Irish witchery background who live in Monterey, CA. The cousins, Morgana, Sebastian, and Anastasia are so fun and exciting, and the books encompass a lot of humor as well as great romance. I have re-read Entranced (the one about Sebastians love affair with a tomboyish private investigator) a dozen or more times, it's fantastic and so much fun!

Oh, and Three Fates is by far my favorite NR book...I definitely recommend it! You'll love Tia, she's so cute and her growth throughout the book is very empowering. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 10:20:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2009 10:21:42 PM PST
good points on all that - nora roberts does tend to have very similar things with her trilogies or her series. There's typically some sort of magic thrown in there, whether it's the main point of the book or just a side story. There's typically a wounded woman, often with kids, who finds someone gentle and learns to love again. Sometimes they've been abused or really badly treated in a marriage (Nell from Sisters and Cassie from the Mackades are probably the worst of that but you also have Laura in the Dream trilogy, Roz a little bit in In the Garden, and Suzannah in the Calhoun series), sometimes they've been left when they were pregnant (Hayley from In the Garden, Megan from the Calhouns though she's also been used and abused a little, and Zoe from the Key series) or sometimes they've been widowed (Stella from In the Garden). There's often the person that starts out arguing with someone and then falls in love with them. Then there's the one where someone comes from their past, whether a past love or someone that has been hiding their feelings for a while.

That said I love ALL of NR's series - the only one you listed I haven't read is Morrigan's cross.

I think your comparisons on the KEy trilogy are interesting - Dana is DEFINITELY the Ripley character. I would say Zoe is more of Mia than Malory is - Zoe's morre of the wounded woman than Malory is, and she fights it a lot more than Malory. That's me though.

Here's the comparisons with the In the Garden series - Stella = Nell. Stella and Nell are in pretty different situations, but both have to deal with past wounds to accept love again. Roz = Ripley. Just cause there's really no other explanation, and she and Mitch do argue a little. Hayley = Mia. Both have been fighting feelings throughout series and in 3rd book have to deal with it.

The MacGregor series is great, though it's some of her really early work. BUT that series does include my very fav romance novel The Perfect Neighbor - it's FABULOUS!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 8:43:53 AM PDT
if you like Nora's sister trilogy you should try Christine Feehan's Drake Sister series. Magic in the Wind, Twilight Before Christmas, Oceans of Fire, Dangerous Tides, Safe Harbor, Turbulent Sea and the last one is Hidden Currents coming out in June 2009. Their about seven magical sisters I really enjoyed them.

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 11:45:53 PM PST
What about the Born In trilogy? That's one of my favs!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010 11:26:04 PM PDT
Fun comparisons.

I also think the Circle of Seven trilogy about Hawkins Hollow is similar. Both are dealing with supernatural trouble from the past that will destroy the place if it isn't resolved.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010 11:27:24 PM PDT
There's a spinoff for the Drake Sister's books that's just come out--Water Bound. It's set near Sea Haven and starts where Elle and Jackson's book leaves off. I love Feehan's books, but I have the worst time keeping track of which characters go w/ which title.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2010 1:30:58 PM PDT
Cookie says:
There was nothing better than the Born In trilogy! I don't have a friend who didn't like it the best!

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 5:29:19 PM PDT
FranA says:
The only two series I have kept - Born in Fire, Born in Ice, Born in Shame & Sea Swept, Rising Tides, Inner Harbor, Chesapeake Blue
I also liked Daring to Dream, Holding the Dream, Finding the Dream

These are older, but also favorites
The Last Honest Woman, Dance to the Piper, Skin Deep, Without A Trace

Her older books are better. Not liking too much in the last several years. The Bride books have been okay. And, I must confess, I always look forward to the one in the trilogy that has the bad boy. There is always one and it is usually the best to me.

You might like Marilyn Pappano's Bethelem series.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2010 6:38:53 AM PDT
F. Lentz says:
@Mom of 2, Thanks for the detailed information. This is very helpful. Have a wonderful day.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 11:28:39 PM PST
Tam B. says:
I agree with almost all the recommendations here so I can't add to them regarding Nora Roberts. I do enjoy her books with the touch of paranormal as well as those without. (I own most as well as her JD Robb books.)

If you want to branch out to another author, try Debora Geary. She writes about witches but bases them within a close community that is like family. I enjoy the family dynamic and interactions greatly in her stories. There is less drama (ie. big bad coming) in her books as they are more about a person finding and accepting themselves. (And if you want the first book free she is currently giving them away via her Facebook page and Amazon.)

Enjoy your reading.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Nora Roberts forum (42 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Has Nora Roberts lost it? 290 Feb 18, 2014
Who would you pick to play Rourke if they do a movie from In Death series. 703 Feb 12, 2014
whiskey Beach 0 Jan 30, 2013
In Death Series 21 Jan 17, 2013
New to Nora, need recs pls 42 Jan 5, 2013
Roarke and Eve in a rut? 0 Dec 31, 2012
Best of Nora Roberts 27 Oct 19, 2012
Nora Roberts Night Tales Series 6 Oct 13, 2012
Nora Roberts,, Boonesbough Inn 10 Jun 6, 2012
Abridged titles 0 Mar 28, 2012
"The Last Honest Woman" on Kindle 3 Jan 27, 2012
Chasing Fire 7 Jan 8, 2012

This discussion

Discussion in:  Nora Roberts forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jun 17, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions