Customer Discussions > Orthodox Christianity forum

evangelical orthodox church

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2010 9:59:40 AM PDT
deadbutalive says:
Would you consider the evangelical orthodox church (http://www.evangelicalorthodox.org/) part of Eastern Orthodoxy? It seems to be a blending of two traditions. It doesn't look like they are under any authority...

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 9:47:23 PM PDT
Beeblebrox says:
The EOC may call itself 'Orthodox', but this church is non-canonical and not a member of SCOBA (Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas). They and their sacraments are not recognized by any canonical jurisdiction.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Evangelical_Orthodox_Church

Moreover, their so-called 'Liturgy of Divine Worship' is NOT the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, but is rather a severely chopped-up, abbreviated version, more like the Novus Ordo Roman Catholic Mass than anything else. (http://www.evangelicalorthodox.org/documents/eoc-common-liturgy.pdf)

The original 'Evangelical Orthodox Church' was led by Peter Gillquist, a founder of Campus Crusade for Christ. He and hundreds of other EOC members were received into the (canonical) Antiochian Orthodox Church, and he himself became an Antiochian Orthodox priest. Some EOC parishes refused to go to the Antiochians and forged their own, non-canonical, path.

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 6:07:09 PM PDT
deadbutalive says:
Thank you, Beeblebrox! For answering my question AND making me reconsider my position on Peter Gillquist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2010 7:52:31 PM PDT
"God has many the church does not have and the church has many that God does not have."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2010 7:29:53 PM PDT
Gardenbear says:
Not everyone belongs to the Country Club called SCOBA such as the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. SCOBA is a self born by the member churches. Just such a shame they add to the 52 different jurisdictions in the United States. THEY are shameful!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2010 7:39:30 PM PDT
Gardenbear says:
Beeblebrox does not tell the whole story about the conversion of CCforC as a group to Orthodoxy. Read article from S.Francisco newspaper named S. Orthodox,it's all about the first conversion to Orthodoxy by the Group. Makes interesting reading.
Your reply to Gardenbear's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2010 9:38:11 AM PDT
deadbutalive says:
Gardenbear,

I'm confused by your post. Could you please elaborate?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2010 9:56:32 AM PDT
. says:
Hello,

So, are you saying that ROCOR, though in communion with the Moscow Patriarchate is not in SCOBA, yet ROCOR churches commune Orthodox Christians from other jurisdictions?

The Moscow Patriarchate is represented at SCOBA by:

Archpriest Alexander Abramov
Acting Representative of the Moscow Patriarchate in the USA

St. Nicholas Patriarchal Cathedral
15 East 97th Street
New York, NY 10029
TEL 212-289-1915
FAX 212-427-5003

This information is listed on the SCOBA website: http://www.scoba.us/jurisdictions.html

ROCOR was cut loose from the Moscow Patriarchate for awhile due to Communism and the persecution of the clergy in Russia and the planting of KGB in the church. As far as I know, ROCOR entered back into the fold of the MP since 2007.

Posted on Jul 31, 2010 10:38:58 AM PDT
. says:
Besides, apparently SCOBA was dissolved as of May 2010

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2010 1:48:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 13, 2012 10:31:45 AM PST]

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 10:47:40 PM PDT
. says:
hi Elissa,

I don't know exactly what is going on because I don't pay that much attention to church politics. I came across a blog today (that I can't find now of course) that was talking about the Episcopal Assembly which is very exciting. Before bishops would meet at SCOBA apparently, but there was never much approval from the mother country to unite Orthodoxy here in North America. Apparently that has changed and will prepare the bishops for a Great and Holy Council of Bishops throughout the world and the mother countries are pushing for a united Orthodox Church here in North America, Canada, and Mexico, Central and South America.

Check this out at Orthodoxwiki and other Orthodox news sites:

"At the first meeting of the Assembly, May 26-28, 2010, the SCOBA members present voted to dissolve the organization and permit the Assembly to supersede it and assume all its functions, agencies and ministries. It differs from SCOBA in two significant respects: it includes all the Orthodox bishops in the region (not just the primates), and it was officially mandated by the hierachies of the mother churches (rather than being of purely local provenance). It is also notable in that it is the first pan-Orthodox body in North America to include bishops of the ROCOR."

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Episcopal_Assembly_of_North_and_Central_America

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2011 1:00:24 PM PST
Bill Bright was the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, not Peter Gillquist.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2011 10:23:34 AM PST
Laura Morton says:
I looked up the website and they are not canonically a part of the Holy Orthodox Church. Anyone can use the term "Orthodox".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Orthodox Christianity forum (14 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Whi is there so little discussion in the Orthodox Christianity Community? 20 Jul 29, 2011
Help! (looking for more books) 6 Apr 15, 2011
evangelical orthodox church 12 Feb 8, 2011
The Pope, The Greeks and Schism 1000 years after.. 1828 Jul 12, 2010
Sayings of Orthodox Elders and Priests: 15 Jun 9, 2010
Can the Schism of 1054 be bridged? 9 May 12, 2010
Orthodox view of the war in Iraq: 2 May 9, 2010
What is the Form / Mode of Baptism for Orthodox ? 6 Apr 29, 2010
Orthodox Christian miracles 1 Apr 21, 2010
On Sundays Orthodox church gives people holy communion for eternal life 0 Apr 21, 2010
For mainecooncrazy and other Orthodox: Please Inform Me About Orthodoxy 14 Mar 24, 2010
A quote from the April 2009 'A Confession of Faith Against Ecumenism,' 0 Oct 28, 2009

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jun 26, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions