Customer Discussions > Paranormal Romance forum

*~*A List of Our Favorite PNR Authors - with promotion for new titles*~*

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 3, 2009 10:18:01 PM PDT
grammy1 says:
Bonnie Lea,

I am in Phoenix...As I mentioned to you this morning I ALMOST finished your book last night. I worked this morning and grabbed it to take to the airport. So I know Amy Lane and Melanie Nowack will tell you what a crybaby I am...They all know I need tissues with my reading material...
So I am gonna tell you, I couldn't breathe for the last 40 or 50 pages. It was mesmerizing..It of course made me cry but it left me breathless and of course wanting more.
The book was so emotionally charged but the end was a roller coaster...I have to go back when I am fresh...Did I miss who shot Nick or is that still a mystery?

....Will post a review over the weekend...

Grammy

Posted on Sep 4, 2009 7:03:19 AM PDT
Wendy McNair says:
Hi All,

Came across a WritersDigest Directory of Self Publishing Companies. I strongly caution you to please RESEARCH these companies before giving them your money or signing a contract. Some of them have very tainted reputations but you will weed them out by with an online search (ex. Google the word Complaints along with the Publishing Company's name).

The list of Self Publishing companies (including detailed company contact info, URLs, and pricing) is located at:
http://www.writersdigest.com/article/directory-of-self-publishing-companies/

Let me know if this helps. Good Luck.

Regards,
Click on my post name above to access my web site address.

Posted on Sep 4, 2009 10:09:30 AM PDT
Kelly Abell says:
Mel, Here you go

Kelly Abell------RS, YA--------- Haunted Destiny

Posted on Sep 4, 2009 11:50:01 AM PDT
Wendy, thanks so much for any info that might help other writers. You really have made me so proud as you help others. It Is a rough place out there as with any Dream there are predators.
If anyone wishes to see Wendy's Wonderful books, Giant Slayers OR AsleepThey are on my website on the Drama and Romance and fantasy Page. http://captivesouls.weebly.com/
Grammy, I cannot thank you enough for your feelings about Captive Souls, you are confused because even the witness of this murder was confused by what she saw. Thanks again, I am glad you really understood and 'felt' the story.
Everyone have a nice day

Posted on Sep 4, 2009 11:51:17 AM PDT
Thanks Kelly - you're added!

grammy - I can be the same way ;-)
Sometimes you just need a good cry! Enjoy your trip!

~ Melanie

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2009 11:56:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2009 11:56:55 AM PDT
Yes - thank you Wendy! Along those lines, another site that new authors might find useful is "Preditors & Editors". It includes links for agents, publishers & printers, that have been rated by other authors. Some have been given accolades and others are listed with severe warnings. I found it VERY useful - although after dealing with the whole system I found that publishing independently was the most satisfying path for me.

Here's the link for "Preditors & Editors":

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

Best of luck! ~ Melanie

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2009 4:21:15 PM PDT
Kelly Abell says:
Thank you for adding me Melanie. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
Kelly
Haunted Destiny

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 12:28:57 AM PDT
Wendy McNair says:
No Problem Bonnie

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 7:40:25 AM PDT
Hello! . . .ello! . . .lo!
Anybody out there! . . .ere! . . .re!

Just dropping in to say hello and to post about Book Trailers.

I've had one produced for my parnanormal romance, Forever David's, the follow up, Develyn's Tale and the third and final book, The End of the Order.

Wondering how many fellow Paranormal Romance authors here have done book trailers and if they find them to be helpful advertising tools?

Also to ask readers their opinions about book trailers in general.
If they bother searching them out and/or if they find them useful in choosing books?

Just curious.

SB

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 8:05:33 AM PDT
Good morning Shannon - I'm here!
I've been working on the list all morning :-P (So many books, so little time!)

I've never done a book trailer, but I do know a few authors who have.

2 good author friends of mine (they don't have any romance in their books, so they aren't on the list) have book trailers on YouTube. Here are the Links:

Samaya Young writes a series called "W.I. Investigations" (paranormal stuff). She has a dedicated fan who makes amazing book trailers for her! (I think he uses short clips from movies - copyright allows that, if it's only a few seconds worth) Here's the link for first - be sure to check out the others too - they'll pop up after it's over:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ2qct91vWw&feature=related

Kevis Hendrickson has a children's fantasy book titled "The Legend of WitchBane" which he has made a few trailers for.

The first is a quickie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C83gwS9Vy8

the second is a long one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdz09CHKN8k

If you type "Book Trailer" into YouTube you can find lots of them. I've always thought it would be fun to do one, but I would have to put a lot of time into it. You could prob. do one with a simple power-point program using your own artwork or public domain images & music, and using text you write yourself, integrated with reviews, URL's etc. I haven't done it yet because I really don't want to spilt my focus from writing. I tend to get completely engrossed in creative projects, so I try to keep to one at a time :-)
Eventually, if I need a break from writing or if I ever had writer's block (so far not a problem!) I may delve into making a trailer. I don't know how effective they are, but it looks like fun!

~ Melanie

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 8:23:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2009 8:40:59 AM PDT
Morning, Mel.

Oh, I know. There are thousands of them out there on YouTube!

Some are really well done, which is why I hired my graphic designer, using all my copyrighted and protected info and images and etc., to produce it for me. Like you, I get really involved in creative projects and I just don't have the time for that right now. Plus, I'm simply not that talented in that department. I have all kinds of wonderful ideas, just not the skills to pull it off.

But I figured a thirty second to a minute long "commercial" about my books being accessible 24/7, why not? It's worth a shot! :)

SB

Edited to add: Just checked out The Legend of Witchbane book trailer. Very cool beans. Glad I finally decided to do one as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 9:32:31 AM PDT
Kelly Abell says:
Hi Shannon,
My son did one for me. It is not for the paranormal, he is still working on that, but my other one for Sealed In Lies is on my website. Feel free to check it out.

I'll look for yours as well. I like you, know what I want to see but I don't have the skills to put it together. My son does. He does a god job with them I think. You can also enter it to be shown on bookscreening.com. Submit it and it will have to be accepted but you should so it can be seen by more people.

Kelly
Sealed in Lies

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 10:32:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2009 10:34:14 AM PDT
Kelly,
wow! Your son did an excellent job. Very cool.

Mine is supposed to go live this weekend. So when it does, I'll post the info here.

SB

P.S. And I will be sure to pass along the book screening addresss to my designer.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 10:48:09 AM PDT
Really nice book trailer Kelly! Who are the people (Jack and {I guess} Caroline) Are they people you know, or models/stand in's/actors?

Shannon - I didn't realize that you had already had a trailer made - I thought you were just thinking about it. I look forward to seeing it!

~ Melanie

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 11:02:32 AM PDT
(I don't have the money or the talent for one but would love it ) LOL
Pernell had two trailers (I think) and his were comic book style and I loved the music! LOL I need to look that up. Or maybe he can post it here?..... Yo Big P!!!...... Guardian: The Beginning They were super cool!
I will check out Shannon's and Kelly's today on writing break.
I hope everyone is doing well. So nice to see our new Thread shine!

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 3:33:49 PM PDT
Irish Rose says:
Hello, Ladies!

I would love to know how to make one of those gorgeous book trailers. I'm afraid that all my artistic talents go into the writing and when it comes to the visuals, I haven't the foggiest idea where to start (honestly, I freeze!)
On a good note, a review came in early this morning for Blood of the Beast. It's at coffee time romance book reviews under paranormal (I had to write it this way to avoid stepping on any delicate toes) =D

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 3:52:26 PM PDT
Lea-Ellen says:
Hi Shannon,
About book trailers - Well, as a reader, they don't have any sway over me. My reasons are because: Where I live, I only have dial-up internet service (can't afford Hughes Net, etc.) and it's too slow to allow for the continuous play of uploaded streaming videos {so no YouTube watching here}; I've seen a few of them before (on my Aunt's computer), & while they are kind-of cool, they are much too fast & that kind of thing isn't going to get me, as a reader, to buy that book based on that. I have to know what the book is about & reading reviews is helpful, too. Plus, I wouldn't bother to search them out even if I did have DSL. I have too much other stuff to do.

So, that's my 2 cents.

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 4:24:45 PM PDT
SweetT says:
I'm with you Lea Ellen. I have DSL, but I'm not interested in watching book trailer videos either. They don't do anything for me either as far as persuading me to buy a book. In fact, if I don't like the people portraying the characters I might not buy the book when I might have been interested before. I prefer the images my mind creates of the characters from the descriptions given by the author. So, the most important things for me in order of importance are 1) the blurb that tells me what the book is about, so write those carefully you guys : ) 2) recommendations by readers in the PNR forums, and 3) reviews on Amazon. So, that's my 2 cents too!

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 5:36:07 PM PDT
Hi everyone!

Well I am back to reality...no more palm trees and sandy beaches for me for awhile...sigh!

I just want you guys to know that Amazon never emailed me with a response to my first request about merging the two threads. I just emailed them again so at least we can say that we tried to contact them more than just once about it. Maybe they're just tired of hearing from "those whiney PNR girls" and decided to ignore my email! Well at least I'm in good company with Bonnie, right?

Hope everyone is doing well. I myself am practically buried under vacation laundry right now. I'm hoping that by tomorrow afternoon I will have surfaced enough so I can actually sit down and write a bit. I did some long hand scribbling when I was away but I opted to spend the bulk of my time with my family. There'll always be time enough for me to sit and write later on, but these kinds of moments with my kids will be gone in a blink of an eye.

back to my date with my Maytag...

Marianne

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 5:38:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2009 5:38:47 PM PDT
Evening, ladies.
Tam,
finished Blood of the Beast. Loved it! I'll be posting my review soon.

Lea Ellen and SweetT,
thanks for your opinions ladies. I can see your point.

You all have a great night.

SB

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 6:03:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2009 6:04:05 PM PDT
grammy1 says:
Good Evening Everyone,

I just had a few minutes...catching up
Bonnie Lea just posted a review on Captive Souls...are ya finished yet with Soul Surrender..
Have to leave Captive Souls here in Phoenix as I told my daughters friends at the hockey arena about the book (my grandsons play ice hockey) on holiday weekends there is always tournaments..Two games today and they both won ...

Tamela, Hope to start Blood of the Beast thru the weekend..

My two cents on the book trailers is mixed...If something really would catch my eye and stop me..I might look..But it is not something I would go to...

Shannon. will look foward to read your review

Have a good night everyone

Grammy

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 6:57:13 PM PDT
This is the greatest! I ran across it tonight and my best friend just got me started reading paranormal romance. Starting w/ Iron Hunt! Your list will be my guide and I hope to read as many as possible!
I have a great deal of time on my hands, taking care of my wonderful mom fighting cancer.
Thank to the writers! You all have rescued me with these amazing characters!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 8:07:45 PM PDT
Hi - and welcome Melissa!

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, but glad that you've found some solace in books! Books have been such an inspiration to me throughout my life. I re-read favorites over and over - a good book is like an old friend!

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers." Charles W. Eliot

Glad you found us!

~ Melanie Nowak

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2009 8:36:26 PM PDT
Lea-Ellen says:
Hi SweetT,
You've said everthing in your post that I totally agree with that I didn't think to mention in my post about watching book trailers. For the few that I have seen (on a DSL connected computer), I cannot stress enough that they play super fast, and I've had to replay each one at least ten times to get anything out of it. That totally doesn't work for me. IMHO, I'd advise authors to either save that money (instead of making the trailers) or put it into better advertising use via 'print &/or cyberspace' avenues.

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 10:28:09 PM PDT
M. Vander says:
Thank you so much for this wonderful list of PNR's, I am so addicted to this genre of books, it's great to know that there is such a large selection to choose from , but, I have a question. What criteria does a book have to meet to be considered a paranormal "romance"? I thought that Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files was considered more along the lines of urban fantasy, I didn't realize that there was romance in his books. Some of the reviews for Lynn Veil's Darken series also, were that it's not really a paranormal romance, and if that's what people are looking for they'll be disappointed. The reason that I'm asking is that I really enjoy the romance part of these books and it doesn't really specify, on the list, if it's more urban fantasy/paranormal, than romance.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Paranormal Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Labor Day Weekend Reading Aug. 29th-Sept. 1st 12 3 hours ago
Read, Reading, Planning to Read and more - Part 6 (and still having fun:) 310 4 hours ago
action-packed and steamy werewolf/shifter romance 3 19 hours ago
PNR cheapies that are 5 dollars or less today (not necessarily new deals) 3707 1 day ago
Werewolf dansel in distress romance 1 2 days ago
2014 A to Z Anyway You Like It Reading Challenge 89 2 days ago
Kindle Unlimited - Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Recommendations Wanted 10 2 days ago
Werewolf book: Hero must protect Heroine 5 3 days ago
paranormal romance series where its not new couple every book... 15 3 days ago
Help! What's the name of this fae/shifter novel??? 1 3 days ago
Books similar to the Sookie Stackhouse Series 29 5 days ago
What Readers Want in a Paranormal Romance 28 5 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Paranormal Romance forum
Participants:  203
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Sep 2, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 89 customers

Search Customer Discussions