Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Paranormal Romance forum

Shadow's Claim

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 7:41:18 PM PST
Soooo, I read it today and :( It wasn't as good as all the other KC books. I felt the heroine Bettina was a bit annoying, she took too long to recognize the good thing she had going with the hero Prince Trehan. The plot was a tad formulaic and not enough hot sex scenes either.....

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:57:22 PM PST
Gabbe says:
Tanya,

I agree with you. The heroine kinda ruined the book for me. Trehan deserved someone way better.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:28:28 PM PST
Completely Agree, I have never written a review before but Bettina was so annoying that I felt compelled to right one just because of her. Also Trehan was delicious and needed a much better heroine. She should have at least been like Carrow when she betrayed Slaine. Bettina was a waste of every page she was on.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:17:59 AM PST
Lulu says:
I'm still reading it, not because I don't like it, but just having lots of other things to do. I'm enjoying it so far. I agree with all of you that Trehan is delicious! I think he trumps the Wroth brothers though I am not sure if I can rank him above evil, deranged, yet-still-manages-to-charm-me Lothaire!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:51:21 AM PST
I blame the new YA series, she couldn't devote enough time to Shadow's Claim smh :(

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:04:31 AM PST
C.Romero says:
I liked Bettina! Although I do agree that Shadow's Claim is formulaic. A paranormal romance edition of, He's Just Not That Into You.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:40:38 AM PST
Lulu says:
I have worried that KC has taken on too much (the IAD, a YA series, this Dacian spin-off series). Still, I'm enjoying Shadow's Claim. A little of her is better than 99% of the other PNR writers out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 12:06:45 PM PST
Okay I do have to agree with that Lulu :) But I just feel so let down....

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:30:49 PM PST
Cace411 says:
I too, liked Bettina but didn't love her. That feeling was reserved entirely for Trehan. He is now my favorite H in the IAD world. I cant believe Garreth got trumped! I chalked off Bettina's immaturity (or stupidity, lol, depending on how one looked at it) to her being young, sheltered, naive, and recovering from her brutal attack. Her phobia played a major part in her personality, not to mention her "root power" was stolen from her. If my understanding is correct, that would be like the equivalent of taking her life essence/force. And in all fairness, she met Trehan just 3 months after her attack. Plus, she grew up with Caspian so I imagine it would'nt be easy to just let go of that. That's just my take on things. :). I was sympathitic to her in any event. Although in the end, I wish she went after Trehan rather than the other way around. I'm actually surprised I didn't dislike her considering my favorite heroines are Mareketa, Carrow, and Regin. Bottom line for me, the H was perfect so the h didn't need to be. Trehan was clearly the star of the show.

I read her YA book and I thought it was incredible.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:18:27 PM PST
Lulu says:
I am liking Bettina so far but I'm also keeping her age in mind. She's like 26? Trehan is 900? She's very young, was brutally attacked, had her power stolen, and is still trying to recover from this while also having to assume the throne and find her mate all at once. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. She reminds me just a bit of Emmaline. To KC's credit, all of her h's are pretty different when you think about it. Emmaline, Kaderin, Mari, Neomi, Holly, Sabine, Lucia, Carrow, Regin, Ellie. I've probably forgotten someone but overall I generally really like her h's and, while Bettina might never be a favorite, I'm liking her but I also like stories of heroines who kind of find their own inner strength so my fav's have been Mari and Holly and even Emmaline.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:35:41 PM PST
Cace411 says:
Lulu - She's only 22. Caspian is 26, I think. And yes, Trehan is practically extinct. Lol. If I were Bettina, I would be severely intimidated. :)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 2:42:45 PM PST
Tina says:
I am in the middle of the book right now but Bettina is getting a little old with her love Caspian. He has very plain about his not returning his love but she keeps hanging on thinking he might despite what he has said. How much clearer can he be?!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:16:40 PM PST
P Gallegos says:
Really liked this book, Trehan is amazing, LOVE HIM, but Caspian? Really he's that good of a fighter? I wouldn't have minded if maybe he was a couple hundred years old, would have been more believable to me (lol yes I see the irony in this statement considering none of these creatures exist) but I guess then him and Bettina couldn't have grown up together. I will have to do a reread soon, but I was rolling my eyes at his story. He seemed to be too busy screwing every female he could find to be such an amazing fighter, blah blah every kill he makes he gets their strength or whatever, I was just more annoyed with his all around awesomeness at such a young age. And there was a point where Bettina was thinking "Maybe WE made a mistake in trying to be together" or something along those lines, ummmm honey Caspian told you a million times he didn't want to be with you and you guilted him in to it. I seriously wanted to smack her. And Nix? Seriously she is so freaking funny. I'm a slore for the Lore world Ms Cole has created.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 1:47:51 PM PST
Nicole says:
Really had to push myself to finish the book. It definitely was not that good and plus, Bettina was so annoying that I kept putting the book down. Like a paranormal taylor swift, lol.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 5:30:06 PM PST
Tina says:
I still haven't finished the book. Lol, paranormal Taylor swift??? Funny.
If I didn't have it on audio I would probably skim it at the end and say done. Chances are I will probably skip it to the end.
Does Bettina ever grow up?

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 8:55:59 PM PST
Lulu says:
PNR Taylor Swift? LOL!

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 8:23:21 PM PST
KS TBRQueen says:
I liked the book alot. I did like Bett but I didnt like her as much as Mari and I loved Trehan but not quite as much as Conrad. It was a great book, just not my favorite. I didnt feel let down at all.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 4:48:45 PM PST
I just finished Shadow's Claim. I loved it. It was so good to be back in the lore again.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:23:40 PM PST
Vanessa C says:
Shadow's Claim was a nice introduction into the Dacian world. I think that Bettina was young, protected and cloistered. Her only foray into the world ended in her attack. I would like to think that I would be a little gun shy too. She has never felt wanted by any of her species even her godmother calls her names. She doesn't know what she feels because she has no point of reference, her mother died when she was young and her dad grieved for his mate and hunted for her killers. The only positive thing that she has is her uncanny ability to work her gold and create her weapons. I tried to take all of that into account.

Trehan on the other hand was sweet, patient, lusty, and a very alpha Hero. He is a typical Cole male lead. Bett in the end does come into her own and does stand up to him. I liked that they actually talked things out.

I love Lothaire's back handed advice. It was nice to see his relationship with Ellie is working out and that she still is cutting him no slack. The next book in the IAD series must be Lanthe's, I hope. Trehan is a close second to Cade, in the IAD H's competition. All in all, I would give this a 4-4.5* rating.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 11:02:21 PM PST
KS TBRQueen says:
Vanessa the next IAD book is McRieve. I think his name was Ullium or something, he was the lycan trapped on the island.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 6:25:58 PM PST
Vanessa C says:
KS... I actually read that it is McRieve's book, it just seems like we have been waiting for Lanthe's book for so long. Her sisters' appearance in Shadow's Claim, gives me hope that it is coming soon. Especially after the end of Shadow's Claim and the quest that Trehan and all are going on.

Does anyone else think that Lanthe's mate will be a Vreckener?

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:19:26 PM PST
Lulu says:
Yes, I definitely think Lanthe's mate is going to be the Vreckener, probably the one that she maimed that has been pursuing her relentlessly and that finally captured her. But with MacRieve out next year, it'll be 2014 at the earliest. I remember (going way, way back) that KC was a little surprised that people were interested in Lanthe and I'm not sure that she originally planned for her to have a book and only has recently said she likely would. I'm going to see if I can't find out more about that . . .

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:35:25 PM PST
Vanessa C says:
Lulu... I think that you are the second person that I heard that from. How could she write that little story and not anticipate that there is an interest there? We have no stories about the Vrekeners, so this would be a way to introduce them. I think that with all of the cross species matings that there won't be any enemies to fight the big fight. I appreciate any info that you can find. I love Nix and would like to see someone for her. She just shows up everywhere, even in the Lords of the Underworld. There are a lot of characters that still need a mate. Look at all of the released captives that still could use one, and now with the first Dacian book, there are a couple more that need mates. I hope that the Sylph, (sp?), gets at least a novella.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:30:47 PM PST
Lulu says:
"I think that with all of the cross species matings that there won't be any enemies to fight the big fight."

LOL, that's probably Nix's master plan. With Lothaire off of Team Evil, I wonder who will be the focal Big Evil for the Accession? Maybe Dorada? I think Nix is going to be close to the last book of the series though I think I remember hearing that Furie/Kristoff would be the very last book. I guess Kristoff is going to spend a long time in Lothaire's dungeon. KC sure has enough characters to keep the IAD going for a long time, or spin offs.

Regarding Lanthe, I think KC just saw her as a plot device, a reason for Sabine to do the things she did. I'm actually way more interested in Hag and that date that she is 500 years late for. This is a quote from KC back in May 2012 though:
"Don't worry-Nix, Lanthe, and Furie will all get books! But Uilleam's story fits better into the overall Accession timeline (plus my editor is jonesing for poor Uilleam, who we last saw escaping from the facility.) More news soon!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:56:04 PM PST
I'm with you Lulu I don't really want to read about a ugly angry scarred crippled Vreckner, I'm more interested in the Hag, she was so funny in Lothaire's book. I prefer Lykae the most, so I can't wait for MacRieve....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Paranormal Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
PNR cheapies that are 5 dollars or less today (not necessarily new deals) 4965 3 hours ago
Shards of Hope chat *****SPOILERS******** 58 10 hours ago
Memorial Week-End Reading 2 12 hours ago
Read, Reading, Planning to Read and More - part 7 and still going strong:) 2869 14 hours ago
Penny Dreadful similar books? 4 17 hours ago
Hope you can help with this book! 0 4 days ago
Week-End Reading May 20th-22th 6 5 days ago
Romances where the heroine pretends to be a man 5 7 days ago
series where the paranormal creatures reveal they exist? 5 10 days ago
Week-End Reading May 13th-15th 12 12 days ago
Ilona Andrews online serial Clean Sweep, Sweep in Peace, One Fell Sweep and future installments SPOILER THREAD 92 14 days ago
Up From the Grave - Okay to talk spoilers here 54 14 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Paranormal Romance forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions