Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Parenting forum

Too much sugar!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2011 9:25:07 PM PST
(I posted this on the Health forum too - but there is little crossover between the two.)

We feed our six-year old daughter breakfast and send her to school with a packed lunch. Dinner has never been one of her big meals, but she is eating less and less of it because the rest of the world has decided they can feed our child JUNK. It really irritates me!

At school she receives "Breakfast in the Classroom" because it is a Title One school (over 50% of the students receive free or reduced lunch). This program provides breakfast for every child and teacher in school, whether or not they are part of the free/reduced lunch program. "Breakfast in the Classroom" should be about healthy food, but she is getting Trix cereal, Trix yogurt, juice, white bread bagels, graham crackers, Smucker's Uncrustables (an individually wrapped white bread peanut butter and jelly sandwich), etc. etc.

At her after school care program, run by the city, sometimes she gets fruit (apples or grapes) but frequently gets Cheezits or pretzels. If they get peanut butter with their apples it is the sugar peanut butter, not the natural peanut butter.

She is not hungry for her lunch owing to the breakfast and is frequently not very hungry for dinner.

I just feel like she is being force fed sugar. As a child I personally did not eat this much sugar and I didn't eat five meals a day, either.

What would you do in this situation? She is six and does not have the fortitude to say no to temptation when the rest of her peers are getting glorious, copious sugar.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 1:34:07 PM PST
Alicia says:
Unfortunetly this is what any parent faces when their child is out in the world. I just don't see how this can change when there is junk food in every store, and junk food restaurants on every corner. It is hard to shelter kids from these things maybe if she ate some of this stuff she will eventually not want to eat it anymore. I think kids are more tempted to taste these things when they eat only certain things all the time. When your child notices she is gaining lots of weight she might not want to gain more, and will understand that what you are doing was right all along.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 12:12:37 AM PST
Oh my goodness! My daughter's school is also part of this program and the first thing I noticed was that there are a lot more cereal days and I think it's because it's the easiest to get around the whole school. My daughter and I go through the breakfast and lunch menu when she brings it home and decide ahead of time what days she's going to eat at school. I know she can refuse the breakfast if she wants to.

Part of my concern with having her eat at home and not at school on sugar days, was that she'd be the only kid not eating and might get hungry just by the smell of it all being around her. Luckily she doesn't mind not eating when everyone else does. I would recommend giving the principal a call and tell them that you would like to pack your child's breakfast, maybe they would be willing to work something out with you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 4:06:01 PM PST
Bon Bon says:
I wish that stuff was banned! Maybe I sound extreme, but refined sugar is well-known to wreck havoc on your body (for many people).

Refined sugar is like ingesting a drug (gee, it's white powder, hmmm..not exactly a sugar combined to be a complex carbohydrate). It sends your blood sugar up, then plummets it later (sleepiness usually results). Your body has to dump insulin to handle it. Worse? those foods you mentioned probably have all sorts of chemical preservatives.

Schools use sugary foods as constant fun treats (which I totally hate!). Is your kid supposed to say no? Be left out of the social occasion? Like that will happen? Of course not.

Maybe you can spearhead a campaign at your school to change the junky sugar menu to healthier options! Heck, host an educational presentation for school leaders and parents. They can agree or disagree, but at least you've given them the information.

There are schools (not many!), that offer kids better food choices that don't douse kids with refined sugar. Maybe there's one in your area?

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 7:32:44 PM PST
Tom McManus says:
My parents always made me take good food to school for lunch. I traded it for sugar or I didn't eat. I would have rather been hungry then eat that crap my parents forced me to bring in against my will. As I ate sugary foods, I gained weight. The more weight I gained the more sugar I ate. Turns out I had some sort of abandonment disorder. They think since I was a preemie and separated from my mother at birth, I missed out on some bonding issues and feel as though my mother abandoned me at birth and I have been harboring it ever since and this is why I did all the bad things I did as a kid. Turns out it had nothing to do with the sugar. I was just a really confused ticked off kid, that was complaint just manipulated people. Politics here I come.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Parenting forum (398 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Parenting forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions