Customer Discussions > Parenting forum

Is raising a child more the job of a parent or a teacher?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 1:14:25 AM PST
T. Awe says:
Guide to Raising Exceptional Youngsters (Life Skills Tips For Empowering The Future Generation)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:48:47 PM PST
It's the parents' job. I happen to be both.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:06:40 AM PST
T. Awe says:
Hi Suzanna,
Thanks for your response. But does parenting have to be biologically connected? If yes, what about youths in temporal care? I believe in the true meaning of parenting being - an adult caring for a younger one ... any responsible adult therefore can parent a child non-biologically. Being a teacher myself, I think both parties should accept sole responsibility where possible, as this baton has been thrown around long enough and the children miss out on pastoral care. Traditionally, parents should raise their children but I find myself telling 'that' student to show me his nails (at age 15) tomorrow and the other one a clean shirt next time I see him - because no parent is available to do that or with due respect, they don't quite understand their role as a parent.

An average 30 year old single mum who has a 15 year old son with two or three other children is unlikely to be able to properly take care of them all, so I believe that it'd be okay that a concerned teacher or other adult can fill in the space for our ailing society's sake - here the teacher or adult can fit it in - or spare a one-off advice.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:19:35 AM PST
T. Awe says:
Does parenting have to be through one's own biological parents? Can any responsible person be a parent over a child/ youth?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:26:38 PM PST
It is the parent's job although others can and should, help 'parent' the child.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 8:48:32 PM PST
Wende Best says:
"Become Yourself" Workbook: Student Journal
I agree!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Parenting forum (394 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Parenting forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions