Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Customer Discussions > Parenting forum

Spanking your children should be ILLEGAL, Part Two!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 556 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2015 9:15:29 AM PDT
Our children are our most precious possession and we need to find better ways to teach them rather than hitting them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2015 5:39:23 AM PDT
C. S. Belle says:
I agree with you! Often children who act out are already hurting. We can't help them change their behavior by hurting them more.

Posted on Jun 30, 2015 6:24:04 AM PDT
C. S. Belle says:
Hello. I am new to this post. I have read through some of the submissions and would like to join in the discussion. I have raised many of the same points being addressed here, in my book, Therapy In Action with Insights and Strategies for Anyone Living or Working with Troubled Kids. I discuss many of the circumstances that compromise the healthy development of children and I provide solutions. It is written like a story book of sorts as I describe actual experiences I have had as I provided Mental Health Counseling services to children and families in their homes, schools and communities over the past 35 years. The book is being sold currently as an e book on Amazon and Barnes and Nobel. Those interested can access it by entering Therapy In Action by C. S. Belle in the search engine of either one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2014 5:42:34 AM PDT
mises says:
I'll be pretty busy for the next 3 weeks or so, but will get back to you. I miss our conversations. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2014 7:18:23 PM PDT
kiwani says:
~fully agree Alice.. yes, we can and should to do better.. in damaging our children, we are damaging ourselves.. our future...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2014 2:59:08 PM PDT
I think we will regret continuing to spank kids. We know better and should do better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2014 12:54:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2014 12:55:18 PM PDT
kiwani says:
agree.. if one starts from the home page, it's really difficult to even find the forums.. they don't really come up in searches as far as I can see.. that's why I saved the page/link to my favorites.. otherwise it takes forever to find.. I don't even recall how I found it to begin with in the first place ;}

I don't think it would've made any difference, either way, unless we were able to post the new link to Pt2 in the last/ 10,000th post at that time... and even then, I think they were tired of the discussion by that time anyway.. If they'd wanted to continue, they'd have been able to find it like we did.. the new forum/posts came up at the bottom of the page.. so they could have found it... .... it seems even 'we' are tired of talking about it, because we are talking about this rather than the issue.. I can't remember the last time you brought any new points up about it, or even wanted to continue any of the discussion points previously discussed before... I seem to remember you were going to respond to a number of points I made in several different posts ... .... ....??

~~and I'm still not exactly clear on what your position is.. and/or what your objections are, re. the topic, other than the libertarian view of how it would impact the parent's rights... but, the question(s) still remains...

~what about the "Children's" rights..?
~do they have none...?
~must they live in abject fear..? ...and
~what kind of life is that for them, as well as what kind of adults (damaged?) will we raise who will grow up & continue the idea of our country.....?

~will we be sorry we let individual, uneducated political views impede what we know is the right thing to do but we didn't do anything, then..?

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2014 5:14:29 AM PDT
mises says:
I just now figured out what you must have thought I meant. I had previously said I would delete all references to Richard's identity being known and give him a chance to do the same before trying to get the others to come back, and I deleted the posts I where I had talked about this. But Richard seems to not mind being known now where before he did, because he hasn't made any changes in all these weeks and I'm left babbling to myself. So, okay, when I find the time I'll get around to doing it.

I like talking to people like you two because your perspective on things is so different. Left, right, up, or down, I always see the same groupthink. Us have all the answers, them need to learn. And nobody seems to go out of their way to talk to people who don't already believe what they have to say.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2014 9:14:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2014 9:16:14 PM PDT
mises says:
I think we need the star power of Richard here. Unfortunately on Facebook he'd have the unbeatable advantages of better hair and total editorial power.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2014 9:01:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2014 9:03:13 PM PDT
mises says:
It actually seems a pretty convoluted process, finding a specific discussion like this. I always use a link from an email notification. The old board was pretty active. Sure, *we* tried harder to find each other again because *we* cared oh so much more, but if it had been right in front of them, I'm sure most other people would have come along.

I should have just deleted a couple of sentences from these last posts a few weeks ago, instead of the whole thing. It makes it look as if there was something really controversial going on, when there wasn't!

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2014 6:04:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2014 6:21:12 PM PDT
kiwani says:
got some toasted marshmallows for you mises.. :) -or maybe some s'mores would be even better, huh? :)

~why would you want to ask Amazon to do that mises? The other posters could easily find this discussion thread.. if they choose to.. if they really wanted to do so... they've prob moved on to other discussions or things...

you could write some outrageous things here.. it would prob guarantee to catch the attentions of some [??] if you want to perk up the thread.. that would likely do it..lolol ;)
----------------------

lolol -I just replied to the post you deleted & didn't realize 'til it posted -just ignore it then........ except for the marshmallows/s'mores, of course... :P

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 8:38:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 21, 2014 4:19:19 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2014 1:42:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2014 4:21:02 AM PDT
mises says:
Yup, I engage in countless acts of lovingkindness, without ever expecting so much as an encouraging word in return.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 5:39:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2014 5:40:16 PM PDT
kiwani says:
~who are you writing that to, Mises... Richard?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 5:36:41 PM PDT
kiwani says:
!!! :) !Great Actions, Richard!! that's terrific... now I understand better why you have a different opinion from my "baby steps" thought... you have taken the words/ideas and put it into action to actually "DO" something that makes a dent.. makes a difference.. I think that's super! Never know when things can catch fire.. it's like dead kindling & it can light up to make changes possible just from a few right words, or a certain action that gain a big reaction from the public...!

great goal 2 speakers/ea. time zone for 2015 ..I'm sure you'll find the right ones.. there's no dearth of interested people... HEY! may be a wacky-long shot idea, but wouldn't it be great if you could get someone like Hillary Clinton!?! (or even her daughter) "It takes a Village," ..et al.. she's likes to do that kind of stuff -has initiated & participated in similar before.. She may be in the midst of her Presidential Campaign, so it would be perfect timing & a terrific exposure for both her & your goal?!? Once she announces.. could contact her campaign & try to set it up... :);) ~sure she'd have to be careful not to piss off too many, taking sides, but maybe she could focus on one aspect of it, like strictly the abuse of children & scope of it- numbers, and/or getting religion out & keeping it out of government, too.. ;) oh well, good luck!

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 9:02:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 21, 2014 4:19:41 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 10, 2014 1:53:45 AM PDT
Richard says:
Seems even a libertarian can be right as well. Jimmy Carter is doing good work for women and girls. Kudos.

And now how about the other Democrat exPresident, Bill Clinton? He has managed to funnel billions of dollars into social programs around the world by gaining support of private philanthropists.

For those who might be interested, you can find me on facebook. I live in Glendale, AZ.

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 2:56:56 PM PDT
mises says:
I didn't know Jimmy Carter was on Letterman a couple of weeks ago where they had a pretty serious discussion about the abuse of girls and women around the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEMI4JLPlY

Even a Democrat can be right sometimes. I'll check out his book when I find the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2014 2:13:48 PM PDT
mises says:
"...mises has been pining for discussion..."

I've been busy with stuff, but I'm sure I'll see some red meat from Richard soon, and slip back into the old habits. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2014 9:07:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2014 9:24:34 AM PDT
Richard says:
I instigated the annual day of protest against hereditary religion three years ago. It has steadily built a following around the world and it will get bigger. Because many secular people are extremely frustrated with the factionalism organized religion causes. Wars and constant unresolved bickering result because faith instills intransigence as a value. One must never change their mind. G W Bush is the quintessential example of a person who refuses to adopt a new stance or consider they might be wrong.

Facebook groups and a blog I started:
https://www.facebook.com/EndHereditaryReligion
http://www.endhereditaryrelgion.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Annual.EHR.Protest/

Apologists claim it is a small minority of people of faith that cause the problem. That fallacy completely overlooks the fact that a small minority of billions of people is a huge number. Every religion contributes to the aggregate world problem. Therefore the universal quality of the issue is what needs addressing.

We focus on the world in a time-zone by time zone fashion. Each time zone had a presenter and their presentation was then opened to questions and comments by the audience. For the 2015 protest I hope to have two presenters per time zone.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 8:33:19 PM PDT
kiwani says:
Hi Richard,
yes.. tis a shame, for sure.. agree a national registry & more honest reporting.. where is the integrity of these children's parents, grandparents, other family, friends, teachers, etc., etc., etc...

Another case of a missing young girl-missing for awhile now, but just heard about it the other day... Mother homeless/staying in a shelter, asked janitor-person to take her daughter.. now she has not been seen since & janitor is missing.. turns out janitor has past record- "NEVER" should have been allowed to work there with children/vulnerable people.. girl had missed school quite a bit/but mother called in excuse & presented Dr. notes-but school remiss in not instigating further inquiry... ALL the social workers at the shelter SHOULD BE FIRED!!! (they are giving social workers a bad name!-and as result this girl is missing-now presumed dead). I would fire them all!!! (rant over) 'tis a terrible tragedy..

Glad to hear from you.. missed your periodic posts.. (mises has been pining for discussion with you, right mises??) --know it's slow here now-but that's not so bad with everyone's busy lives, at least, imo... check back every-so-often when time allows, ok??

That link is interesting -awful, but interesting.. I had NO idea the Philippines had such a culture.. I would not have thought that at all.. but if it is hard Catholicism, I can understand it.. but what is difficult to understand is how the "Church" ;(] managed to transfer the role of the Inquisitor [so-to-speak] to the family, & get them to adopt this toned-down practice into their family-structure.. shameful.. sure takes the heat off the church, does it not?? sounds so medieval.. positively Mormon-like, too-- & no Rumspriner (sp?) for these kids either, huh?

Is this for just in the Philippines, or going global? [oh, never-mind, I see 20+countries represented]
~Have you joined a thread about it, too?

kiwani :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 11:17:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2014 11:20:19 AM PDT
Richard says:
Kiwani,
Incidents like this happen all over the country with great frequency. Many are religiously inspired cases of neglect and abuse caused by inept cruel parents. The public shrugs them off and religious fervor in the country provides the cover. Children cannot hire attorneys and go into court. Their abusers are the only ones with legal and political recourse so the system is stacked against the kids. Plain and simple.

What is needed is a national registry and more accurate honest reporting of case histories. The best way to cure rot is to expose it to light and air.

Glad you all are still on the case. My focus now is the ultimate solution I see, ending hereditary religion. Our 2014 international protest was the biggest in three years and the 2015 event promises to be bigger still with more presentations from more countries. Here is an article written by one of our supporters in the PI:

http://patas.co/articles/opinion/end-hereditary-religion/

Over 20 countries were represented this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2014 2:28:55 PM PDT
mises says:
Your moaning comment had stuck with me, and then I saw the movie again, maybe 30 years after I'd first seen it, (shortly after I was born.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2014 10:36:06 PM PDT
kiwani says:
well, I'm proud of you that you could find & reference a post from Oct of last year.. what made you seek this out, esp. when I think you already replied to it before..?

Walter Matthau & Robin Williams together... oh my... 2 good actors together... moans aside...;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2014 5:22:45 PM PDT
mises says:
"-> "Moaning" ??? [e-hem.. clears throat.. that's dismissive;( -like, 'oh that silly female']"

Men moan, too. Watch, starting at 9:11 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I426JibpYUQ

Thanks to OneNote, I'm learning to catalogue these valuable references for later. Where is that Richard, he should be proud of me...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Parenting forum (398 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Parenting forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  556
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions