Customer Discussions > Parenting forum

What is your favorite book on parenting?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 75 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 26, 2012 10:48:34 PM PDT
Sassoon says:
What's wrong with your relationships?
Parents children relationships

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 1:48:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2012 9:07:59 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:04:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2012 9:07:27 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:05:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2012 9:07:17 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:21:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 30, 2012 9:08:18 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 2:45:59 PM PDT
Thanks Margee. Your book sounds like fun, too. I am hoping that super early intervention during infancy will help prevent motor delays and reduce the number of children who need special education services when they start kindergarten:-)

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 3:01:34 PM PDT
Achieving Brilliance at Home (How to Teach Your Child Almost Anything)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 9:04:23 AM PDT
I'm a grandmother, who had four children, now 53 to 43. I have two grandchildren, a 27 year old young woman, and an 18 month old toddler boy! He and his parents have just left to return to Brooklyn, NY, following a five day visit with us in Ohio. They haven't begun to discipline him and don't seem to have a clue how to do it. But both parents see the need for it after this visit. My favorite books were Dr. Spock's, 'Mother and Baby,' (?) and Haim Ginott's, 'Between Parent and Child,' and, for later, 'Between Parent and Teen-ager.' My babies and I would never have survived without Dr. Spock; I know he's out of fashion now, but I wore out two copies. The Ginotts are also older books, but still highly regarded. I have such high regard for all you young parents; I don't know how I did it!!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 7:09:34 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Lucy,

Congratulations on being a grandmother. Thank you for the recommendations. We still hear a lot of praise for Dr. Spock's books interestingly. They really helped a generation it seems. It is interesting how controversial they are now. I'll check out the Between Parent and Child series too. We have a teen now and will check out that one too.

Thanks for sharing your tips.

Margee Moore author of Sleeping with the Laundry (Notes from the Mommy Track)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 1:09:57 PM PDT
What a lovely response. Thank you. Dr. Spock was deliberating misinterpreted by certain people who were looking for someone to blame for what they saw as the permissiveness of the 60s and 70s. They wanted a scapegoat for the upheaval of the anti-war movement and the civil rights struggles of those years. It was the era of Woodstock and long-haired hippies, but their cause, in my opinion, was just. Dr. Spock was in no way responsible; he was not permissive in his approach to caring for babies. He was very reassuring to young mothers and encouraged us to trust our instincts with our babies. That was the best advice I could have gotten! Good luck with your teenager...Haim Ginott will help, I promise!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 9:54:06 PM PDT
Stuart Fish says:
I enjoyed How To Be Good Parents And Raise Great Kids by James Comfort. He shares his own seeming successful experiences in raising 3 daughters into adulthood. I found it an easy read, written in a simple style with no mumbo - jumbo and loved the "steps" he gives at the end of each chapter. Lots of useful parenting resources in the final chapter as well. Definitely worth the price.

Stuart

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 7:06:38 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Lucy,
Thanks for the insights. This was the first time I've heard the controversy explained. I know my mom was a huge fan of the Dr. Spock book. I've heard that the Haim Ginott Teenager book is still just as relevant today. I've added it to my wish list. Thank you for your thoughts.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 7:11:30 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Stuart,
Thank you for the addition of How To Be Good Parents And Raise Great Kids by James Comfort. Some insights into the "Alpha" generation could be quite helpful. I like that he mentions raising a "well-mannered" child. That's something we strive for too. Thanks for your recommendation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 7:13:36 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Barbara,
Good luck. Early intervention can really help with motor delays. Very worth your time to invest time in that.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Best of luck,
Margee

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:44:48 AM PDT
Thank-You:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 4:45:28 PM PDT
Books on raising yor kid?

Ridickulass.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 2:23:32 AM PDT
A Life Less Ordinary: Our Journey with ADD
As a parent with an newly-diagnosed child with ADD, I decided to write a book about it, our own experiences, successes and failures, with a bit of research to alternatively frighten and enlighten me on this issue. I truly hope that it is able to help others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:03:24 AM PDT
Again, my thanks for your generous reply. I have really appreciated your personal touch. I was delighted to learn that your mother was also a Dr. Spock fan...we're a loyal bunch and don't like to hear him misinterpreted! My work here is done, although, if my grandson doesn't respond to the books which I've sent to his parent, at their request, I may return for much needed advice. Good Luck to you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 6:17:07 PM PDT
You may want to consider The ABC's of Fatherhood: The First Years. It's an inspirational book for new and expectant fathers. But of course, I'm biased, because I'm the author.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 6:18:22 PM PDT
You may want to consider The ABC's of Fatherhood: The First Years. It's a new book for new and expectant fathers. But of course, I'm biased, because I'm the author.

Larry Enis

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 4:30:24 PM PDT
I figure if ya didn't need a book to make a kid, why do you need one to know how to raise the little hellion?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 5:06:29 PM PDT
Stuart Fish says:
haha, good question. But the answer is simple. Conception is easy, for most. Raising decent kids is damn difficult. As many parents find out the hard way. So a little advice along the way is always helpful. :-)

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 5:07:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2012 5:08:50 PM PDT
Stuart Fish says:
How To Be Good Parents And Raise Great KidsI enjoyed How To Be Good Parents And Raise Great Kids by James Comfort. He shares his own seeming successful experiences in raising 3 daughters into adulthood. I found it an easy read, written in a simple style with no mumbo - jumbo and loved the "steps" he gives at the end of each chapter. Lots of useful parenting resources in the final chapter as well. Definitely worth the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 7:00:37 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Michael,

A Life Less Ordinary looks like a great book. The journey is not easy. Thank you for sharing yours. The more we talk about ADD the easier it will get for other's along the way. Looking forward to reading it and added it to my wish list.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 7:04:38 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
I agree with your answer Stuart. It's pretty easy to conceive kids (most of the time) but darned hard to raise decent kids who are good citizens. And a little advice and sharing from others makes the journey easier. Thanks for sticking up for the conversation and participating.

All the best,
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Parenting forum (393 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Parenting forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  Apr 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions