Customer Discussions > Parenting forum

Spanking your children should be ILLEGAL.

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9351-9375 of 10000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 11:57:30 AM PDT
Richard says:
Anthony,

Your childish diatribe does not deserve a response.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:47:48 PM PDT
Ok, pretend the last two paragraphs aren't there and then respond Richard.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 8:03:22 PM PDT
mises says:
Hey, let's not make this personal. I don't want or need to know who anyone is, unless they want to volunteer the information.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:41:55 AM PDT
Fair enough, I corrected that. Though it was volunteered through his profile.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 9:41:12 AM PDT
Deeone says:
Spanking is not problematic. My generation learned right from wrong (which doesn't seem to apply to children in this day and age -- since they can do as they please! (and mommy and daddy will defend their demonic little brats). My children & I learned through our parents "enlightenment ideas/notions) the good old-fashioned way and know how to respect adults.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 8:10:59 AM PDT
Richard says:
Rollanda,
What evidence do you have that spanking is not problematic?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 4:37:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 5:31:07 PM PDT
She has herself as evidence. Also notice how she stated: ''My children and I''

I ask you again Robert, Do you have any children? Have you ever experienced the joys and terrors of actually raising a child?

No one that hasn't raised a child them-self needs give advice on parenting. Nuff said. It's like a human giving a fish swimming lessons.

Ware the dreaded opinion! That was mine!

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 6:08:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 6:10:23 PM PDT
awesomep says:
Rollanda D. Frazier says:

My generation learned right from wrong (which doesn't seem to apply to children in this day and age--since they can do as they please! (and mommy and daddy will defend their demonic little brats).
.........................................................................................................

Too many people treat children as though they can think and act as adults. We are not equal in anyway to children and vice-versal. Some parents do not know how or do not care to be responsible parents to their children. Some try to be their children friends and do not pose boundaries, which must be done.

It is nothing wrong with telling a child their bad behavior is not appropriate and why. Better the parent do it and correct the problem beforehand, than later on having to deal with bigger issues from not disciplining their child. A lot of parents seem to be afraid to say or do anything to their children when it comes to discipline. When others are faced with having to correct the child's unruly behavior, such as a teacher and so on, the parents will usually side with their child. Everyone else is wrong, but not the child when the problem is clearly their fault.

It is a bad example for children by some parents, to allow them to function in society this way. There are rules and some of these kids are living in a sheltered fantasy world. They are totally delusional along with their parents. Mommy and daddy will not always be there to fight their battles, especially when they are wrong.

Society have placed a lot of pressure on how parents should raise their children. The interfering has caused some to almost be afraid to say anything to their children when correcting a problem. Some children know this and will use it to control their parents actions toward them.

Parents are the adults and need to raise their children. Parents should, teach them manners, guide them, communicate with them, listen to them, set boundaries without being afraid to do so, all in the name of love and what is best for them. Children are people too, but are not adults, who they should learn how to respect.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 6:57:40 AM PDT
Richard says:
awesomep
Better the parent do it and correct the problem beforehand, than later on having to deal with bigger issues from not disciplining their child.
++++++

Absolutely correct, however completely misses the point. What this forum is addressing is the physical punishment and/or humiliation of children. There are many tried and true non-violent ways to discipline children. However, the culture is one-eyed and backwards and refuses to give up the "Christian" method of physical punishment. Indeed there are many, many posts to this forum that advocate anachronistic, ignorant biblical child rearing advice.

So the real issue that confronts us is how to reform science deniers. There may be no way to overcome their obstinacy in the face of evidence and facts. In which case, people who favor biblical child rearing notions will be gradually marginalized because they refuse to reform.

Posted on May 20, 2012 9:02:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 9:02:25 AM PDT
Brian says:
Richard says: "Absolutely correct, however completely misses the point. What this forum is addressing is the physical punishment and/or humiliation of children."
----
No Richard is thread is about if spanking your children should be illegal.

Others have let you highjack this thread and turn it into your own political blog. I admit your world view is entertaining, so please keep posting away. But you are as far off topic in this thread at times as if RJ and I started exchanging our top 10 hottest women that we would be delighted to have spank us.

Actually we would be more on topic then where your ramblings lead us at times.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 12:43:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 12:49:17 PM PDT
awesomep says:
Richard says:

There are many tried and true non-violent ways to discipline children. However, the culture is one-eyed and backwards and refuses to give up the 'Christian' method of physical punishment....So the real issue that confronts us is how to reform science deniers.
..........................................................................................................

Of course there are ways to discipline children without spanking. Plenty of spankers know and do this. However, science is not the answer to everything. It will never supercede over Christian Beliefs. Keep wishing, because it won't happen.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 4:03:07 PM PDT
Richard says:
awesomep
Plenty of spankers know and do this.
+++++++

If they know how to discipline without using violence why do they insist on using violence? You seem to be contradicting yourself. There is no valid reason to ever humiliate or hit a child. You cannot have it both ways.

What we hear are lame assertions such as "spanking is used as a last resort". Is this what you are driving at?

Science is the best way humans know how to gain knowledge. This is why science has historically been relied upon to guide public policy. It is only within the last several decades that the RW Christians began swelling in numbers that our tried and true ways of reaching policy decisions has been corrupted and defiled by bigoted Christian believers who think their phantom god rules everyone on earth.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 4:29:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 4:35:34 PM PDT
awesomep says:
Richard says:

Science is the best way humans know how to gain knowledge.
..........................................................................................................

Science is not, nor the only best way humans know how to gain knowledge. That is your assumption, not all.

Posted on May 20, 2012 5:09:20 PM PDT
Richard says:
awesomep
Science is not, nor the only best way humans know how to gain knowledge.
+++++

How would you define the best way of gaining knowledge? Would it have to be supported by objective facts and evidence? How would one go about determining the "best" knowledge from the "worst" knowledge? Which tests would determine these categories.

Posted on May 20, 2012 6:30:24 PM PDT
The argument that spanking a child encourages or teaches abuse or creates adults that will hit in the future is bull. I was spanked as a child, yet I have always known that hitting others is wrong. I grew up to be a well-adjusted, normal member of society. I am a elementary school teacher and while I might see children that could use a spanking, I would never dream of laying my hand on that child, nor suggest to that child's parents how to discipline THEIR child. That's not my place. It's pushy. People need to stop pushing their ideas of what they believe is right and wrong on everyone else and allow parents to parent their OWN children. They're no better than the "bullies" that they claim parents who spank are. Do you know who pushes their ideals on others? Cult members!

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:53:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2012 10:02:38 PM PDT
I don't agree with making it illegal...but any child being hit is being abused..
you know it......you should be removed from your profession......for advocating violence against a child...

Regards,

RJ O'Guillory
Author-
Webster Groves

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 10:43:09 PM PDT
Am I Frankenstein or Igor?

Ha!

...sorry I've been away a bit....I'm typing from a hospital bed...had five seizures again last Tuesday and woke up in the hospital on Friday....and btw....I don't care one wit about sucking up to Richard's opinion....but when he has a reasonable point, it deserves to be acknowledged and debated...

Regards,

RJ O'Guillory
Author-
Webster Groves

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 11:05:39 PM PDT
I never said you couldn't express your opinion here....I simply stated that your opinion was incorrect....

Regards,

RJ O'Guillory
Author-
Webster Groves-The Life of an Insane Family

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 11:17:05 PM PDT
....actually...I am somewhat of an "expert"....though I never went to college, I spent 25 years developing people to manage restaurants.......how to process information, decision making..... and how to use logical, business ethics to grow their thinking....all of the personal development processes that McDonald's,.... Burger King, Taco Bell and the US Department of Defense taught me....they worked on my kids as well,....

Regards,

RJ O'Guillory
Author-
Webster Groves-The Life of an Insane Family

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 11:32:54 PM PDT
Richard says:
To be clear, people can express opinions if they want. My point was opinions are weak, I think I said useless, because they rest on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty. Why should we care about someone's unsubstantiated belief or judgment? Most of the time it is just so much hot air or bombast. If you are a professional child development expert or psychologist or researcher I think you would say that up front.

If I have stated it once I have stated it a hundred times, if you want your contribution to be taken seriously and evaluated seriously you must offer more than "mere opinion" or worse, no substantiation whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 11:43:57 PM PDT
Richard says:
Kelli Schiess says:
People need to stop pushing their ideas of what they believe is right and wrong
+++++

So is it safe to say you are not in favor of a law. That being the case, what is your solution to the millions of children who are being raised by inept, unqualified parents who are out to lunch? Do you have any notion of the severity of the situation? Inept parents do indeed create an intergenerational problem. That is what the research reveals.

Mandatory parent education is one approach, but the culture is not ready to support this financially. How much of the thread have you read? You are introducing arguments that have been thoroughly discussed and rebutted.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 5:15:26 PM PDT
Ok sir brilliant, what makes a parent qualified... if I recall, parents have been raising kids since the dawn of man and we've done just fine with no training or education on the matter.

And Richard, spouting off facts isn't debating. Just because you read it somewhere doesn't make it true.

How have humans learned without using the official scientific method? We learn by doing and making mistakes. It's worked for thousands of years.

You don't need to give us permission to speak our opinions, thanks though. You made it very clear however, that you have no respect for other people's opinions if they differ from yours.

I ask you again to site your references for all of these facts you share.

Show me exactly why spanking is ineffective. Show me where you've found that all kids that are spanked become abusers or miscreants as they age.

Do you even have an original thought Richard or are you just spouting off unsubstantiated facts?

Personally, I don't think parents of today are any worse than they were a hundred years ago. Parenting isn't something we can teach. It's something that is learned as you go.

You would realize this if you had actually gone through the process of raising one.

Every kid is different and requires different tactics to raise. No one is going to be the perfect parent Richard. Spanking your child does not make a parent a monster as you seem to believe.

Personally, I think that if adults could smack one another legally when someone does them wrong, we'd have a lot less jerks in the world.

Instead, someone can walk right up to you in the street and insult you to no end, and it's legal... however, if I could legally punch you for calling me a 'crude insult', you'd think twice about it wouldn't you.

Kind of like how the anonymity of the internet lets folk like you belittle the opinions of others from the safety of your computer. If you were in a face to face discussion, I'm certain you would not be so vocal. You'd be afraid someone might pop you in your arrogant mouth. Unfortunately, we must either ignore you or suffer through your idiotic diatribes wherein you state all sorts of unsubstantiated facts and attempt to make others feel like they are stupid for having opinions.

Oh yeah, what arguments did that person state that have been discussed and rebutted thoroughly. Do you really expect a newcomer to the thread to read back through 375 pages of discussion? How about a little courtesy? You're starting to disgust me. If you want to share your opinions with the world, feel free, that's what we're here for. However, don't go hating on the newcomers to the discussion. It's pretty rude and I thought you were better than that. I know darned well that YOU know you're better than that.

Don't be a Richard, Richard.

So, in closing, I believe that not only should we be able to spank our kids, but that we should be able to spank adults too. Spanking is definitely an effective form of punishment, that's why we don't spank adults... God knows that if I knew I was going to get beaten for breaking a law, I wouldn't break that law.

Posted on May 21, 2012 6:58:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 7:00:10 PM PDT
awesomep says:
Anthony Ponder says:

God knows that if I knew I was going to get beaten for breaking a law, I wouldn't break that law.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Actually, there are some that no matter the law and the consequences, will still break it as I'am sure you know. We as humans are weak, and as you say, will make mistakes. Most of us do not want to be punished for our misdeeds, but will still push the limits until we get caught. Then the crying starts or wanting leniency.

Children do the same thing, even with all the warnings, chances to stop the misbehaving, trying to reason with them, and so on, some will still see how far they can go. It is within our nature to do good or evil. It is our choice on how we act on these traits. This is one reason why parents have to teach their children right from wrong. They need love, guidance, and rules. They need to understand that the world do not revolve around them. That though some parents may feel they can do no wrong, others will see them differently.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 10:06:22 PM PDT
Very true. So very true. We could start a whole new thread on just that topic.

Posted on May 21, 2012 10:17:19 PM PDT
mises says:
What do people here think of these "Scared Straight" types of programs for troubled youths? I just stumbled onto this clip. I'm sure there's something much more in depth to talk about out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0yzZIWyzMs&feature=related
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Parenting forum (393 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Parenting forum
Participants:  514
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions