Customer Discussions > Parenting forum

What is your favorite book on parenting?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 17, 2012 9:15:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 8, 2012 11:33:21 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
What are the best books on parenting?

My favorites are:
What to Expect When You're Expecting, 4th Edition, Great gift
The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood
Just Wait Till You Have Children of Your Own!
Belly Laughs: The Naked Truth about Pregnancy and Childbirth
Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And Other Things I Had to Learn as a New Mom
On Becoming Baby Wise: The Classic Sleep Reference Guide Used by Over 1,000,000 Parents Worldwide This one makes a great gift to your new frazzled mom friends.

Margee Moore
author of Sleeping with the Laundry (Notes from the Mommy Track)

Hi Authors,
Here's a great tip from another contributor. If you'd like to promote your own book, first add value to the conversation by adding your best and most thoughtful suggestions of great parenting books from other authors. Think about your inspirations or the books you regularly gift to friends when they are having kids. Then please sign your name and add a hot link to your own title. (Use that "Insert a product link" button you see in the upper left above the post space. Hope that helps. Happy reading and sharing.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 10:34:37 AM PDT
For Instructions in Righteousness
[ASIN:1891206079 For Instruction in Righteousness: A Topical Reference Guide for Biblical Child-Training]]
This book was a blessing for me!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 3:39:27 PM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Rhonda, that book looks very helpful. Thanks for the recommendation.

Margee

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 4:43:32 AM PDT
seedtosalad says:
Kidwinks;) The Comedy of Parenting

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 6:22:03 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Seedtosalad, It looks like you can borrow Kidwinks;) for a limited time for free. I'll download it today and check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Margee Moore author of Sleeping with the Laundry (Notes from the Mommy Track)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 2:54:14 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 26, 2012 2:55:27 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 12:25:25 PM PDT
For My Daughter: Lessons for Life's Journey

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 4:31:39 AM PDT
seedtosalad says:
Kidwinks;) The Comedy of Parenting The ebook for Kindle or PC is being offered free 4/27/2012 - 4/28/2012. After that it is free to check out thru Amazon Prime Kindle Library. 90+ funny kid stories.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:03:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 8:04:58 AM PDT
Anonymous says:
I prefer hands on books. I wrote Kidversation to be used by parents with their kids as a hands on parenting helper, as opposed to more theoretical books. I also like Playful Parenting because it offers a lot of great reminders that fun parenting is also the best parenting. I've heard parenting described as filled with joy but lacking in fun. I think parents just need some coaching to help them find the fun (while keeping the joy!)

Good parenting!
Scott

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 1:54:02 PM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Scott,
Your book looks like a great idea. And it's gotten rave reviews. Thank you for sharing it. It's next on my reading list.

Margee author of Sleeping with the Laundry (Notes from the Mommy Track)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 1:57:44 PM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Eric,

I have a daughter too. Your book sounds insightful. What is the most important lesson you would teach her of all the lessons? What other books were your inspirations to write in this field?

Margee

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 1:01:01 PM PDT
If you want a completely different take on discipline that manages children's behavior without negativity but isn't permissive, and which also explains child development from the child's point of view, try Smart Love: The Comprehensive Guide to Understanding, Regulating, and Enjoying Your Child.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 11:32:29 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Martha, Looks like Smart Love book got a lot of great reviews. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll include a hot link to it here to help others find it too: Smart Love: The Compassionate Alternative to Discipline That Will Make You a Better Parent and Your Child a Better Person What books out there influenced you positively or negatively?

Thanks for adding to the discussion.
Best,

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 2:01:27 PM PDT
I really liked the following books:

Kids: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Raise Young Children by Meredith Small
Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species by Sarah Blaffer-Hrdy
and
The Blessing Of A Skinned Knee: Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children by Wendy Mogel.

The first two are written by anthropologists; the third is more of a how-to.

I also like daily postings in my e-mail inbox from "Enjoy Parenting" by Scott Noelle (at http://www.enjoyparenting.com/ ) although some of his advice is not useful for a family where both parents work and have to keep to a schedule and have kids who can behave in public.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 5:57:25 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Suzanna,
Great recommendations. LOL on the need to have kids who behave in public... I hear you. I'll check them out.
Thanks,
Margee Moore
author of Sleeping with the Laundry (Notes from the Mommy Track)

Posted on May 1, 2012 8:57:09 AM PDT
What to Expect When You're Expecting taught me a lot about what my wife was going through and gave me tons of other useful tips to help us get ready for our first child together. However, for raising troubled teens, I just wrote a short ebook on a few Black Hat Parenting techniques but I don't think it's appropriate for this list and I'm also not sure that it's cool to promote it like that anyway eh?

Posted on May 2, 2012 7:04:31 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Hi Anthony,
Thanks for your recommendations. Good observation. The online etiquette for promoting a book, as you so kindly pointed out, is to add value to the conversation by way of sharing your best suggestions of good parenting reads. (List format works best and include links.) Then when you sign your name, it is acceptable and even adds credence to your recommendations if you identify yourself as author of your book and include a hot link. I appreciate your comments. I'll update the request to mention that tip to authors on how to do that.
All the best,

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 1:51:48 PM PDT
echo 182 says:
I love "Step by Step Step Parenting" by J.T. Jenson

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 7:23:45 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Thanks Echo for the post and recommendation.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:02:01 AM PDT
A lot of these books are good for women and moms, but I'll offer one for Dads. It's less a how-to and more a why-to. Why we should praise Dads, includes a survey of 1,000 American adults about their fathers. Turns out we really like them, even though there are so few good dads in popular media. It's brand new:
Why We Need Dad

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:04:57 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
J. Great recommendation and just in time for Father's Day.

Thank you for adding to the conversation,

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 9:21:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 23, 2012 12:06:37 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 5:42:13 PM PDT
This is such a great thread...I need more!

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 8:02:01 AM PDT
MoxieMom says:
Dear "Lover of the Lord", What are your favorite parenting books? Any favorite humor ones?

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 7:32:44 PM PDT
I love Growing Up Again by Jean Illsley Clarke. It shows what children need at different stages and how they pass through them. It also talks about the parents as imperfect and how to deal with that while parenting.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Parenting forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  Apr 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions