Customer Discussions > Parenting forum

Need a good, LOUD, fan for white noise! Suggestions??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2010 8:38:06 AM PST
We used to use the Honeywell HT800 Super Turbo High Performance Fan, Black for white noise in our bedrooms - including my daughter, but reviews of the newer 904 model say it's too quiet for white noise - and I agree having purchased one locally.

She needs the white noise to sleep as we are in a large city with emergency vehicles, loud noisy people, and traffic making noise all night long.

We prefer the small (about 11") tabletop models - like the one above so we can take it with us when we travel.

I am considering the Holmes HANF76BLZ07-UC Blizzard Personal 2-Speed Fan as the reviews say it's pretty loud - but welcome any suggestions!!!

Thanks!!

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 12:05:18 PM PST
My son and daughter-in-law use a sound machine. It has "white noise' on it but they use the "rain" out of the several choices. They are now on their 3rd child and have 3 sound machines! My daughter eventually began using the sound machine, even though she initially thought it wasn't necessary, after her son was about 4-5 mos. old.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2010 12:11:47 PM PST
Thanks for the idea Laurie - we tried a white noise generator (sound machine), actually 2 or three different ones including a download of white noise as an MP3 (couldn't get it to play or loop at all - waste of $1.04) but the machines themselves, just weren't loud enough. We put it on the loudest noise on the loudest setting, and still not loud enough.

Posted on Feb 19, 2010 8:05:42 PM PST
A reader says:
Marpac SleepMate 980A Electro-Mechanical Sound Conditioner
I can't say enough about this machine. It is so small, only 3 pounds, and is very loud, very portable. Read the reviews on amazon about it. It is a little pricey but well worth the money! I would suggest giving it a try and if you find it is not loud enough, just return it. I think you will be very happy with it though!

Posted on Feb 20, 2010 5:30:10 AM PST
R. Rinehuls says:
It must be awful to have to deal with the 24/7 noise of a big city! Much of the year I use a floor fan just for the air movement, but the white noise is helpful also. The product I find most helpful, however, is not a fan, but Flents Quiet Time comfort foam ear plugs. It is part of my going-to-bed ritual to pop in the plugs. They are very comfortable and do a great job of blocking out extraneous noises. One pair lasts about a week to ten days before they lose their firmness and need to be replaced. I get them at Walmart in a 50 pair container for less than ten dollars. This amount should easily last a year for one user.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2010 9:51:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2010 9:55:07 AM PST
R. Rinehuls - That would be a great idea - but my 3 year old wouldn't keep something like that in her ears! I might try them myself though! And we actually enjoy the "hustle & bustle" of the city - she LOVES the traffic and people - just not when we're trying to get her to sleep at night!!! *wink* :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2010 9:52:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2010 9:54:38 AM PST
I might try one of those, A reader - Marpac SleepMate 980A Electro-Mechanical Sound Conditioner the reviews are very positive! It'd be nice to have something still powerful yet tiny for travel! Especially since we will be traveling overseas later this year and will need the white noise while we are at our destination! Thanks for the idea!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2010 2:00:27 PM PST
R. Rinehuls says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 22, 2010 5:01:52 PM PST
heather kerr says:
Marpac SleepMate 980A Electro-Mechanical Sound Conditioner
This is the loudest, most reliable, and best white noise machine I have ever heard. I like that it not only has adjustable volume, but adjustable tone - so that you can match it to your preference or to the external noises you are trying to cancel out. I would never buy anything else.

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 1:39:39 PM PDT
Lynn Renee says:
Turn your radio dial in-between stations. This will give you the effect of white noise for free and you control the volume.

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 6:17:32 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 6:52:31 PM PDT
I have been using these Lasko fans for years as I have a sensitive sleep. In the winter its facing the wall and in summer the other way. The noise and movement can be controlled by the remote.

Lasko Oscillating Pedestal Fan with Remote Control, 18 Inches, 1854

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 9:23:41 PM PST
Miss says:
I need big noise, just how noisy is it? I too like to face toward my bed during the summer and against the wall in winter, but it still has to have a consistent noise!

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 4:28:53 PM PDT
Dorm Kid says:
Lasko 4916 Desktop Wind Tower Oscillating Fan

Chandra, thanks for recommending the Holmes Blizzard. I'm deciding between that and this Lasko Desktop one, to see which one might be a better, 'more natural/discreet' white noise generator. From the reviews, it sound like the Holmes one might be a bit too loud (although it is ~$10 cheaper than the Lasko Desktop one)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 7:53:35 PM PDT
DRE says:
I have this and find that it is not loud enough.

Posted on May 1, 2012 9:24:11 AM PDT
R. Rinehuls says:

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 7:43:44 AM PDT
Monika Allan says:
Research shows that pink noise is more effective than white noise over time for treating hyperacusis (hypersensitivity to all sounds) - helps desensitize the ear (or the brain) to the hyper-inflated lound reception of sounds. A CD of pink noise can be bought from ITunes. It helped me a lot with my hyperacusis. What I want now is a battery operated sound machine of pink noise so I don't have to keep turning the CD over and can also take it with me around my home or elsewhere.
Rachel

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 11:01:31 AM PDT
R. Rinehuls says:
Here is a link to a noise generator I found on Google apps if anyone would like to sample brown, pink and white noise: http://noise.zeemind.com/0/Brown-Noise?hl=en-US. I have noise sensitivity so thanks for mentioning hyperacusis as I was not aware of this term and looked it up on Wikipedia. There was recently a report on 20/20 about people with misophonia, which is extreme reaction to certain noise triggers: http://abc.go.com/watch/2020/SH559026/VD55204215/2020-518-medical-mysteries
I am daily driven to distraction by noises such as birds chirping and dogs barking.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 1:03:40 PM PDT
kdl says:
I read somewhere that babies who sleep in a room with a fan have a lower likelyhood of S.I.D.S. I use a Filter brand box fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 3:37:18 PM PDT
Lor says:
Good idea... we don't need babies w/ hearing impariments due to too much droaning on.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 3:39:40 PM PDT
Lor says:
I prefer the sound of ocean waves. I have that option (among others)in a heater massager carseat cover I've had for years.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 10:56:14 PM PDT
I use the Allen 350 air purifier. It is loud and has a timer, or can go on all night.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 2:13:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 20, 2012 2:16:06 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 2:43:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2013 2:45:10 AM PST
Amazon User says:
I just got the Marpac Dohm-DS Dual Speed Sound Conditioner and it is not loud at all. I want something much louder that isn't a fan. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 3:09:49 AM PDT
Granniel says:
I want a loud fan too. I heard my husband snoring and making noises all night all over the too quiet fan.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Parenting forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2010
Latest post:  20 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions