Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD
Customer Discussions > Parenting forum

New Book for Parent / Teenager Drug Abuse discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2010 7:57:32 AM PST
bohemian says:
I came across this story on the authors website while searching for drug abuse discussion material. The author stated that it was a must have `read' for teenagers and I think he's spot on. The Path to KnowWhere is a short but compelling story of James; a young man who is given a second chance to recover from drug use, from a path that he chose. And as a short story, it's great and brutish but the real gem is the discussion session created by the author. I plan on having my children read this and using the discussion session to talk about drug use and abuse. My favorite part of the story is the third section, entitled "Fallen". In this section, the author brings it home, it's scary, it's insightful and it brings the choices James made to a conclusion. In fact, this is the second book I've read by C. B. Carter and I love the way he finishes his stories, it's just great writing and storytelling. The Whippoorwill's song was also a great, great read but for different reasons.

If you have teenage children and you want to open a discussion about drugs then this book is an excellent conversation starter.

From another reviewer: The Path to Know Where," depicts the grim and devastating effects of drug addiction. Inspired by a conversation with a former "meth" addict, Carter creates the character of James, who inadvertently runs into Cush, a drug dealer, and whose name is synonymous with marijuana. The take home message from this story is that there are a multitude of ways to get caught up in this risky business, and once you're in, and whether you like it or not, it's extremely difficult to escape--as evidenced by the statement, "Darkness devoured any and all light and James was completely blind."

I give it five stars and recommend it to all parents.

Available in paperback, PDF and Kindle

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 8:25:30 AM PST
Dr. Par says:
Parenting teens starts before they are born. By the time they are teens most parents are tired of being parents. But it is never too late to read books like "Messengers in Denim." It is a philosophy of parenting that is interesting to teens as well as their parents. Check Amazon to see some 5 star reviews!

Posted on Dec 17, 2010 10:04:49 AM PST
ajqueen says:
Normally children or anyone getting hooked on drugs uses the drugs or alchohol as a crutch for something deeper they are longin for but the drugs will never satisfy. I encourage reading of my new book "Ageless Fatherly Wisdom to Hold" which addresses so many issues
and answers and gives good insight on life to up and coming young men! Women will benefit as well! Parent's can only bring the children up with the love, nurture, and admonition they need to grow! Young men and women must at some point have taken what they have learned and be able to apply it to their life situations. God does pick up where the parents leave off. Life has a way of teaching hard and easy lessons in life.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Parenting forum (398 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Parenting forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions