Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Parenting forum

Book suggestions for parents who enable financially irrresponsible adult children

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2011 10:40:41 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 8, 2011 10:15:37 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 9:04:06 AM PST
K. Mays says:
I would absolutely love hearing suggestions to this also. My boyfriend (28) gets his welfare check from his family and hasn't had a job since we've met. I try and try and try to tell him to get a job but I can't mail out his resumes for him and dress him for interviews.

And before anyone goes there, there ARE unemployed people who are worthy of love. PLEASE don't tell me to find another boyfriend.

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 1:39:33 PM PST
K. Keith says:
Try "How to Raise Your Adult Children: Because Big Kids Have Even Bigger Problems"
by Gail Parent (!) and Susan Ende.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2011 5:36:16 PM PST
OK, Miss K. Mays...

Think twice before you choose to have children, though. I speak from experience.

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 6:03:32 PM PST
CP says:
"The Family Freeloader" by Sister Renee Pitteli
The Family Freeloader

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2011 9:32:54 PM PST
I have read Allison Bottke's book 'Setting Boundaries with your Adult Children' and believe it to be one of the best written on the subject. She does however advocate tough love and you must be able to do that in order for her advice to work. She is not just writing about this but has lived it with her own adult child. You have made a wise purchase!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2011 9:38:25 PM PST
'The Family Freeloader' is excellent. My first Kindle purchase, actually. She certainly tells it like it is!

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 3:38:41 PM PST
Verdugo says:
it's worth ruling out Adult ADHD - in the adult children and the parents.

First of all, ADHD is hereditary.

Second, parents with untreated ADHD might have greater trouble "just saying no" when an adult child asks for money.

Third, adult children with ADHD will be more liable to spend without thinking of consequences.

Two books:

ADD and Your Money
Is it You, Me, or Adult ADHD?

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 1:18:46 PM PST
"..I would absolutely love hearing suggestions to this also. My boyfriend (28) gets his welfare check from his family and hasn't had a job since we've met. I try and try and try to tell him to get a job but I can't mail out his resumes for him and dress him for interviews..."

I fear that his family may be causing great harm to your boyfriend, permanent harm.
He is falling, falling behind.
His family should not provide money freely, in my opinion. It only encourages his 'occupation' of taking no action.

They should help, however they should help conditionally, in my opinion.
For example, for $500 of free money, they should demand perhaps 5 completed and submitted applications.

Its as simple as that.

If it turns out to not be so simple after all, then perhaps think about how
no other decision impacts you more financially than with whom to marry.

I wish you both well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Parenting forum (398 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Parenting forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions