Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

PC Build Thoughts

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2012 10:46:41 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core Processor 3.2 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53470 - 179.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 128bit, Dual Dual-Link DVI, Mini HDMI, Graphics Card (01G-P4-3650-KR) Graphics Cards 01G-P4-3650-KR - 139.99

AS Rock LGA1155 Intel Z77 CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 PRO4 - 109.99

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US) - 39.99

Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower Computer Case with All-Black Interior (RC-430-KWN1) - 39.99

I'm building this for a friend. I'm guessing I can pull the HDD and cd drive out of his old computer. i have an old 4gb stick of RAM laying around so i'll give him that too.

see anywhere i can cut some corners by lowering the price? do you like the 650 ti, and i5 cpu? he's not planning on OC'ing so he doesn't need the 3570K,

thanks.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 5:17:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 5:26:39 PM PST
Cos says:
If you have a microcenter near your I would suggest going there for your CPU and Mobo
I5 3570K = $169.99 + $30.00 off Motherboard if you buy CPU from them

I just built a computer for my nephew for x-mas and helped a friend build his.

Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower Computer Case with All-Black Interior (RC-430-KWN1)
- Buy Separate Motherboard Mounting screws - Trust me when I say this as the ones that came with the case were defective
- Remove the PCI back panels you are going to use before you put in the motherboard, be careful to remove the right ones because they are break away which means you can not cover it back up
- Not a lot of room to cut on GPU unless you want to go ATI 7770, but difference is minimal
- Depending on how old his computer is, make sure his CD Drive is SATA as there are no IDE slots on newer motherboards. You can buy an IDE to SATA adapter though for about $12.00

Almost Forgot: This case only comes with a front Fan, I would suggest at least buying 1 120mm fan for rear exhaust. It does have space for side 120mm fan and two top ones as well

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 6:10:07 PM PST
WeaKeN says:
i wish i had a microcenter by me. sadly i do not. will a 650 Ti fit in the case?

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:26:33 PM PST
Cos says:
Yes, it will fit any modern mid range to high end video card

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 3:35:10 PM PST
Dry_Bones says:
you could go with, dare I say............................. AMD.

Or just go down to an i3-3220 with an H77 motherboard. Such as the ASRock H77M... Which will do unless you plan to use the fan control ports on the Motherboard. Due to their position, the can make some untidy cable management.

The Z77 chipset is not needed unless you plan to overclock the CPU. For intel motherboards anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 3:57:22 PM PST
AMD isn't bad at all for those trying to save some money.

Sure, it's not as advanced as an Intel chip, but it doesn't mean you can't get awesome performance out of your rig either.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 4:07:41 PM PST
Cos says:
I have tried to price out AMD builds, if you are going to go low end, then there is definitely a price delta, but the midrange and higher ends tend to even out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 6:41:39 PM PST
Dummy says:
His case will give him enough issues with cable management, going AMD to save a few bucks is a reasonable choice as well. The Phenom ii x4 965 is a fantastic sub $100 chip that would free up $80 for a better GPU or case. It's no i5 but its a little beast of a processor that over clocks very nicely.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 5:57:56 PM PST
Cos says:
The video card one of the key parts to the system, but I don't think he will be doing much OC'ing with that build. I will point out that the Cooler Master elite 430 is actually a pretty roomy case. You shouldn't have problems with cable management with those components. I am a big supporter of modular power supplies however as they make the build so much cleaner.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 5:39:32 PM PST
Daraksharnah says:
The one and only mistake (i know! i can't believe i rocked it out that well either!) i made with my new build was: assuming i could use my old dvd drive.

I say this, cause the drive was a IDE which of course is being/has been phased out, so I had to wait 4 extra days for a SATA dvd drive to arrive.

Aside from that: What's the budget? What will it primarily be used for? what's the current rig? and are you looking to salvage parts for the new build?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 7:06:55 PM PST
Dry_Bones says:
I was not expecting that at all.

I'm not fond of posting amd related comments due to how all the intel fanboys usually seem appear out of no-where...
anyway, AMD is a good option, a very good one price wise. Specially with their Llano APUs.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:28:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 6:45:02 AM PST
bojo says:
I have an EVGA GeForce 680 graphics card O/C, Asus "kick ass" 9.0 p97deluxe mobo, intel i7-3950 extreme, liquid cooled 18" tall PC with SATA 6 &3, USB 2.0 & 3.0, audiophile XONAR SoundCard. I need a better mouse, keyboard, monitor, and a large top mounted fan to round out the system and make it perfect. I even have room for an additional identical video card should the need arise. For 25 years I have always had entry level gear. What a huge difference in game play and video editing now that I have a high end system. This was a family purchase because my wife and kids called me "SCROOGE" before I took the plunge.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:12:16 AM PST
Intel is still top dog, but if you're building a budget rig and don't have a Microcenter near you the AMD line isn't bad at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:13:53 AM PST
Google the ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro keyboard. It isn't out yet, but I'm buying it as soon as they become available. Mechanical backlit keyboard with custom lighting, multiple macros, and your choice of Cherry MX Keys for the build? Sold!

I think they're launching around $150.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:41:28 PM PST
Not a bad setup. Always go for one generation (CPU, GPU, etc.) if you want to save money. I've got a Core i7 1st gen CPU, it has served me well. No hate for AMD, but I prefer Intel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:45:22 PM PST
I wouldn't guarantee that. Always find the specs of the card you intend to purchase and get the length. My AMD 5970 was about an inch over what I expected, so while it fit, I lost the use of a 3 HDD cage in my full tower while I had it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions