Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

CPU Cooler- Recommendations?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 4:34:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 4:36:22 PM PST
Finger says:
I'm finally getting the last few parts together for my build, and ran into a bit of a headscratcher.

I had planned on installing a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. I know this is an excellent cpu cooler, but its rather large. Its listed as being 159mm high. My case documentation lists a cpu cooler maximum height of 162mm. Seems pretty tight and I'm having second thoughts about installing it.

Anyone have any thoughts here? Should I go for it, or check out another aftermarket cooler? If anyone experienced with builds/heatsinks has any recommendations I'd appreciate it. I'm not necessarily looking for sub-zero mega cooling; just a good quality, inexpensive cooler thats quiet.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:39:18 PM PST
I used a Hyper 212+ in my old mid-tower. If it fits (even very snug) those are great fans.

Or, just grab a saw and hack a hole into the side of your case and make it fit. Those fans are great. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 4:43:38 PM PST
Finger says:
Ha, I'd prefer not to hack into my new case if I can avoid it. You think I should shoehorn it in there? 3mm of clearance isn't much. Will that cause airflow or efficiency problems? If it isn't going to cause any problems I'll go ahead.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 6:01:36 PM PST
The fan blows air across the heatsink sideways in those, so you shouldn't have a problem.

I run 2 fans though, one in push and one in pull.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:02:03 PM PST
H. Le says:
I'd go for it. I also have a Hyper 212+ and happy with it.

Like Capt. K said, the air is directed to blow out of the back of your case, so you shouldn't have a problem with efficiency as long as you have good cable management.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 5:32:08 AM PST
I have a Corsair H50, and really like it. It's quiet and keeps my CPU cool even when I have it overclocked by 1GHz. The newer models are supposed to be even better.

Corsair Hydro Series H70 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060002-WW)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:07:50 AM PST
Finger says:
I was just thinking about that myself a couple of hours ago. I saw the Antec 620 h2o system here on Amazon for around $45. That's as cheap as one of those large air coolers, and a lot smaller. I don't know much about water cooling, but I'm tempted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:10:10 AM PST
The good thing is you don't need to know anything about liquid cooling in order to use one of those self-contained units.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 8:43:38 AM PST
Finger says:
They seem popular enough, and the reviews on that Antec are generally very good. I had never really considered water cooling, assumed it was too complicated or expensive. I've heard the horror stories about hosed down motherboards too.

The real concern for me is that with the hyper 212, I'd get so little wiggle room that just a little pressure on the side of the case would push on the heat sink, and thereby push on the motherboard. The smaller heat sinks I've seen seem cheaply constructed, and their reviews are mixed at best.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 8:49:40 AM PST
Another concern I've had with some of the bigger air coolers is weight. It can't be good to have something that heavy pulling on your motherboard.
Then there's the noise. The self-contained units tend to be really quiet because they use a normal 120mm case fan. You should have one of those anyway.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 2:19:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 2:20:14 AM PST
Finger says:
Well, I went with the Antec 620. We'll see how it works out. This is my first build, but I think I'm prepared... If I get a mini Mushroom Cloud I'll know something went wrong.

Edit: I just thought of a very non-PC name for my PC: Fukushima! Ha!

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 12:36:10 PM PST
just bought a hyper 212 evo for my mom's build, which is suppose to be a little better than the 212+, but it doesn't matter, they're almost identical, and they're freakin' massive.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions