Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Extremely slow download of Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 28, 2014 4:42:06 AM PST
james mclean says:
This is horrible! Amazon you need to stick with issuing Steam/Origin/Uplay keys instead of forcing us to download the game from your servers. Or at least gives the customer a warning that it does not include a key.

Posted on Jul 11, 2013 9:58:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2013 10:00:28 AM PDT
What is this Amazon? 80hrs for a 7GB game.... C'mon. Let me use your bandwidth.

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 8:52:35 PM PDT
sysgen says:
Seriously, I'm downloading Split Second (6.89 gig) on FIOS 30/30 and their downloader is telling me I have 38 hours left.

Posted on Apr 20, 2013 10:03:49 AM PDT
TechNerd says:
after you download it burn it to a disc and save yourself the horror of re-downloading it in the future.

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 7:45:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2013 7:46:33 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
one things for sure, I won't be downloading Final Fantasy XI: Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition from Amazon, when I can do it someplace else with faster download speeds.

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 5:45:46 PM PDT
Mark Lahren says:
Has anyone currently having this problem actually tried contacting Amazon's customer service and asking them what the problem might be? They may or may not have access to the answer, but it could be worth a try, as I've always found their customer service to be very helpful. Anyway, it certainly couldn't hurt to try.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 8:10:33 PM PDT
socksman says:
This is happening to me as well. Can someone from Amazon answer this? Really hurts brand image...

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:04:10 PM PDT
Bought the combo pack for Dragon Age Origins today and it gives a download time of 65 hours! This is crazy!

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 6:52:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 7:28:31 AM PST
There is a problem:
Amazon's games/software downloader is much slower for me, than lets say a few months ago.
I have xfinity "blazing fast" it revs @ 36.7 mbps and before you ask: im nowhere near "soft cap".
And well im crusing along at 10kbps. :(

3/7/2013 working great now, its back up to 3mbps

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 4:08:32 PM PST
Alex LeGay says:
Just because you have a good connection doesn't mean you will get that when downloading. Whoever you are downloading from will have restrictions to prevent server lag.
That's just the way it is.
Now yes sometimes it goes slower than usual but sometimes you get put on a slower server. Just be patient.
I get around 30 mbs and on steam i get about 2.5 mbs for a download.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 5:51:41 PM PST
Lee says:
I got a refund on a downloadable game just by contacting amazon because of the super slow download speed. If you would like to and have not completely download the game yet, request for a refund.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 5:45:53 PM PST
Gene L. says:
i guess amazon downloader limited the internet speed. I bought a game like 12gb. Normally, I download a game for 12 gb like 4 or 5hrs..but amazon downloader show 3....6...12...17........22.........and infinite hours...i don't know when i gonna finish this download..>.<

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 4:57:11 AM PST
Could be port forwarding issues with Zon's downloader.

I don't know of anyone personally that has had issues with it. Usually my downloads run at the same speed here as they do from Steam, GoG, GMG, Impulse, and Origin.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 4:59:07 PM PST
I am trying to download Madden 08, which is only 2.1 GB, however it is downloading at around 25-30 KB/s. It says there is 23 hours remaining. Is there anything I can do to speed the download up. By the way I am using the Amazon downloader, and using a different downloader I was able to download a much larger game in a much shorter period of time.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 3:20:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 3:21:42 PM PST
@Sha Gojyo

That's kinda not the point. The point is that most of us are getting downloads through other services and from other websites at 10-100x the speed of the Amazon downloader, which implies there's something wrong with the downloader, its interface with our computers, or Amazon's servers. As others seem to be getting normal speeds from the downloader, it seems unlikely it's the servers. I don't know what the answer is but I have the same problem and downloading at 40kb/s when I usually download at 1.5mb/s is not normal or acceptable.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 11:10:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 11:12:47 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:36:15 AM PST
I kid you not, my download time for FIFA 13 currently reads "209 hours remaining" with my high speed internet. And I'm not downloading this onto a Commodore 64. When I've gone through Steam for games like COD: BO2, the downloads are quite quick. This is crappy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 4:37:47 AM PST
Server load from the holiday sale probably.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 11:04:26 PM PST
T. White says:
I am currently having the same problem. I downloaded the Stronghold Collection (6 gb) in about 2 hours a couple of nights ago. Tonight, I am trying to download the Civilization 4 Complete Pack (3 gb), it says it will take approximately 9 hours to download. WTF?

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:39:41 PM PST
Lee says:
I'm having the same problem. Just bought GTA4, the downloadable version from amazon. According to the amazon downloader, it's going to take 60+ hours for it to finish downloading the game. I'm able to download other big game, like World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, etc. just fine in 4-5 hours.

Grand Theft Auto IV [Download]

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:07:34 PM PST
54 hours and still climbing... i win D=

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 3:44:16 PM PST
Mark Lahren says:
Heh. It just took me 5 minutes to download a single mp3 song from Amazon. Something that used to take about two seconds. I dunno what's up around here lately.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 5:59:45 AM PST
Bob P. says:
Crap I wish I had read this before I started downloading - I could have gotten the game for the exact same price from Steam. I can't believe in this day and age it would take 7 hours to download a 6GB game. I have 20Mb/s on a good day, so the two 6GB games I want should be down in an hour tops. It's reporting 7 hours for one of them! That's completely unacceptable - Amazon has this giant "cloud" of servers and giant pipes, and the best they can do on downloads is that slow?

Update :I just went and stopped one of the downloads and it went from 7 hours estimated to 1 hour estimated, so if you have a particularly slow download and you know your connection is faster than that, just kill the downloader and start it over again so it connects to a different mirror. Very disappointing that you would have to do that but it's certainly better than waiting 7 hours!

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 11:00:23 AM PDT
Thanks for the blog on this. Where are you located and what mirror were you using to perform the d/l

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 10:10:05 AM PDT
I've got a 15 mb line and I get anywhere from 1.6-2.4mb/s download speed depending on who I'm downloading from. Amazon is usually 1.9mb/s and Steam is about the same. I've had Amazon's downloader over 2mb though.

Blizzard's downloaders are around 1.5mb/s. Could just be a bad connection that one time.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (685 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions