Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Extremely slow download of Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 30, 2012 5:57:06 PM PDT
MrScreemi says:
Today i bought the combo pack of mass effect 1 and 2 and the download is taking for ever. i am at 24% and the downloader shows that there are still 17 hours left. that is ridiculous. Is there any other way to download the games apart of the Amazon Downloader?

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 7:13:29 PM PDT
I got ya one better. I actually got through what turned out to be 15 hours of downloading NBA 2K12. While it was almost finished extracting the file, it gave me a corrupt download message. Assuming that nauseating scenario won't repeat itself with you, my tips would be kill everything running in the background and to not rely on a wireless connection---go with an ethernet cord. Run a Glary Utilities or Advanced System Care 5 scan to clean out junk, restart with everything plugged in correctly, THEN begin the download. My mistake was doing some of this during the download, hoping to speed it up midway. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 3:18:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 3:19:53 AM PDT
MrScreemi says:
the download is at 80% but still 4 hours left and that was just the first game. i think this was my last purchase of a downloadable game at amazon. the only thing i would buy again would be a game with a key that is redeemable on steam or origin.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 9:34:58 AM PDT
Okay bud I got it. I did some googling and remembered how I got 2k11 to work. Even if your download craps out it creates a NBA2k12 file. Go into that and click on all the cab files. Then start your download again and it will finish. One of the forums I went to said Amazon mailed him a disc version, so don't give up on amazon.com yet before you give their customer service a chance. If their customer service shrugs you off, then inform them you're done using their site.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 11:49:22 AM PDT
MrScreemi says:
after 20 hours of dowload i get an totally stupid error. don't wonder why it's in german. i use a german version of windows. even in german the sentence doesn't make sense at all and is as stupid as in english, which i added in red.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/amazondownloader.png/

thanks for your infos. i'll try that and get back here again.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 12:33:45 PM PDT
The Japanese text says the data is corrupted, and "magischer Wert" probably refers to a type of checksum used for error checking.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magische_Zahl_%28Informatik%29

If nothing else works, delete your temporary files, Amazon Downloader files in your user profile directory, and your browser cache, then run the downloader again from the beginning.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 1:22:27 PM PDT
MrScreemi says:
thank you. that's what i thought. for a non computerist the error doesn't make sense at all and what i like most is the jap. text. the next thing is that the downloader tells me that i don't have enough disk space left. it says i need 4.77gb for the download, but on c: there is 12gb space left. superb work on that downloader amazon ;)

i just started the download about 15 minutes ago and i got 130kb/s average dl speed for the downloader. if i calculated it correctly i'll be done in about 14 hours. i think as soon as i have finished downloading and have a working version, my pc will have consumed so much energy i could have bought both games on a budget pile in a local store and get there with my car and would have been cheaper...

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 7:23:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2012 7:24:12 AM PDT
MrScreemi says:
download of me 1 is still not done. i am at 74%, 8 hours left and passed by. 27 freaking hours for a 7,5gb download? you, amazon, must be kidding. i am getting 80KB/s out of my 1.5MB/s connection. luckily i could redeem the codes of me 2 via origin and i am getting 800KB/s. just started and that download should be done in about 4 hours.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:32:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 1:40:50 AM PDT
Here's a better solution for everyone here--considering Amazon still has the deal. Purchase the game or bundle, but don't even think about using Amazon's download manager. It is slow as ever, and what's even worse is their game installer. It is a complete disaster.

Instead purchase the game(s), register the keys through either Steam or Origin (Not sure it works on Steam, but definitely know it works on Origin--in response to the OP), and download it from there. You'll get excellent download speeds, ease of registration for the deluxe edition, and simple installer because it will be customized already through your client.

Bottom Line: Amazon has to allocate most of their bandwidth to their Special Kindle Fire users, like myself. That is why their game downloads are ridiculously slow.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 1:41:12 AM PDT
MrScreemi says:
sadly the me 1 key is neither redeemable on steam nor on origin. the key of me2 works with origin and the dl took 4 hours for me.

btw.: the third dl of me1 was finished after 26 hours and it is working. be sure you have at least the double disk space available on your main harddrive/partition. the downloader doesn't really work if you choose a different drive.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 5:07:51 AM PDT
? Is there a port issue with the Amazon downloader possibly? I always get max connection from A's servers, sometimes faster than both origin or steam during holidays

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 8:40:42 AM PDT
Mark Lahren says:
Maybe it depends on location? Like Capt K, Amazon's downloads have always been just as fast as anyone else's for me.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 3:01:18 AM PDT
MrScreemi says:
does anyone know about special ports which have to be opened for the amazon dl?

could really be location related.

i am glad that the dl finished and i can play me1 now.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 9:05:24 AM PDT
D. Foote says:
Regardless 26 hours is faster then most shipping services and without the costs associated. Silver lining my friends... silver lining.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 9:06:27 AM PDT
D. Foote says:
If you have full access to your router set yourself as DMZ during the download. Easiest way to get past port restrictions for the short term at least.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 3:14:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 3:16:51 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
all depends on your internet speed and games that have over 1GB to download, of course your gonna have a long waiting period. ME1 and 2 are pretty big games, i'm sure they have at least 1GB or more.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 3:56:40 PM PDT
MrScreemi says:
Me1 has about 7.4gb, me2 is even bigger. My connection speed is 16mbit/s. In theory i should be able to download me1 in about 1 hour and a couple of minutes. In Praxis the speed depends very much on the location and the available server bandwidth. In average i get about have of the speed. On steam and origin i get between 500 an d 1500 kbit/s. In bad times half of that and i would.never complain because both have a very robust down load mechanism and resume functionality . I never had to restart a nearly completed download all over again. I have about 60 games in my steam account btw. But i had to restart the download twice after it was finished but corrupted because of the Amazon downloader. My pc was running about 2,5 days in complete. I had a downloadspeed from about 100kbit/s on average. In times of broadband internetconntions that's slow in every meaning of the word.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 10:10:05 AM PDT
I've got a 15 mb line and I get anywhere from 1.6-2.4mb/s download speed depending on who I'm downloading from. Amazon is usually 1.9mb/s and Steam is about the same. I've had Amazon's downloader over 2mb though.

Blizzard's downloaders are around 1.5mb/s. Could just be a bad connection that one time.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 11:00:23 AM PDT
Thanks for the blog on this. Where are you located and what mirror were you using to perform the d/l

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 5:59:45 AM PST
Bob P. says:
Crap I wish I had read this before I started downloading - I could have gotten the game for the exact same price from Steam. I can't believe in this day and age it would take 7 hours to download a 6GB game. I have 20Mb/s on a good day, so the two 6GB games I want should be down in an hour tops. It's reporting 7 hours for one of them! That's completely unacceptable - Amazon has this giant "cloud" of servers and giant pipes, and the best they can do on downloads is that slow?

Update :I just went and stopped one of the downloads and it went from 7 hours estimated to 1 hour estimated, so if you have a particularly slow download and you know your connection is faster than that, just kill the downloader and start it over again so it connects to a different mirror. Very disappointing that you would have to do that but it's certainly better than waiting 7 hours!

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 3:44:16 PM PST
Mark Lahren says:
Heh. It just took me 5 minutes to download a single mp3 song from Amazon. Something that used to take about two seconds. I dunno what's up around here lately.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:07:34 PM PST
54 hours and still climbing... i win D=

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:39:41 PM PST
Lee says:
I'm having the same problem. Just bought GTA4, the downloadable version from amazon. According to the amazon downloader, it's going to take 60+ hours for it to finish downloading the game. I'm able to download other big game, like World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, etc. just fine in 4-5 hours.

Grand Theft Auto IV [Download]

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 11:04:26 PM PST
T. White says:
I am currently having the same problem. I downloaded the Stronghold Collection (6 gb) in about 2 hours a couple of nights ago. Tonight, I am trying to download the Civilization 4 Complete Pack (3 gb), it says it will take approximately 9 hours to download. WTF?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 4:37:47 AM PST
Server load from the holiday sale probably.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (677 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions