Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Graphics card intensive pc games.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-46 of 46 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 11:38:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 11:42:25 AM PDT
H. Le says:
ken,

Technically speaking, the 1st thing you need to know when want to upgrade is to find out what kind of expansion slots are on your motherboard. Basically, you will need a PCI-express x16 slot for a graphic cards that will handle new games now - and in the future.

If you are unsure, refer to this picture for an example of what expansion slots are, and what the different types of slots look like -- In fact, I recommend reading the entire article and explore the site thoroughly as it will answer many questions you may have on upgrading :

http://www.playtool.com/pages/selectvid/select.html

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 5:57:34 AM PDT
No. The HD 6450 is actually a PCIe graphics card that has a slot all it's own on your motherboard. What type of machine are you running? rd

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 11:38:14 AM PDT
ken says:
Sorry not sure if you were asking me that question or someone else.

I forgot how to find that information out also.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 12:05:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 12:12:26 PM PDT
H. Le says:
ken,

To find out the spec on PC with Win Vista (the "adapter" screen at 0:22 is your graphic card info) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUoKt-dqh0o

My honest opinion is that you are not ready for this upgrade unless you: 1) take it to a repair shop and get ready to spend some more money - or 2) Do some research and homework on your own first (in regard to PC gaming, you should memorize your major PC spec by heart - beside the upgrade issues, it will also save you from buying games that your PC can't run. Also, please keep in mind that Amazon is generally not the best place for tech help).

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:23:24 PM PDT
Crysis isn't really intensive anymore. its Metro 2033 and its poor optimization.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 1:43:21 PM PDT
H. Le says:
Crysis is definitely in the past -- But it was Crysis that really kick-started the (unnecessary) hardware craze.

I did not realize that Metro2033 is poorly optimized (I ran it fine on my 8800GTS). At any rate, when it comes to poor customization, even if it is bad, I think Metro 2033 is no match for GTA IV, which the OP wants to play.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:49:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 4:57:46 AM PDT
Mel says:
fast quad core and $150 graphics card are a minimum for GTA4 to not stutter.

Ken, I feel your pain on GTA4, I've thrown some hardware money at that game and still doesn't run great.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 2:28:29 PM PDT
sysgen says:
This thread has alot of great information. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 11:19:27 AM PDT
pyroguy says:
well "Rage" is definitely a graphics card intensive game due to the ID-Tech5 engine, and my PC runs the game alright as it meets the minimum graphics card requirements. Besides, i'll be upgrading from an ATI-Radeon-4200 to an ATI-Radeon-7770 sometime after New Years, which is when i'll also upgrade the power supply to a 500W box i've seen.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 3:29:23 PM PDT
Rage runs more efficient on NVidia. i have two 7970 GHz in crossfire and Rage does not like it all. disabling crossfire and running the game off one card performs a hell of a lot better. one thing about the game's settings i don't like is that keeps disabling VSync. its quite annoying having to go back into the option almost every time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:25:19 AM PDT
pyroguy says:
what does the VSync in "Rage" do? I just kept that portion turned off, along with the screen resolution turned all the way down to either 640x480 or 600x800 to keep the game from lagging too much, or to keep it from constantly freezing or crashing.

Oh, speaking of NVidia, which cards of that type would work best for my PC and would allow me to play my games at max-settings without any problems? And should I post my PC specs??

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 11:47:06 AM PDT
H. Le says:
For any game, Vsync (Vertical Synchronization) forces the game's frame rate to synchronize with the refresh rate of your monitor. Its purpose is to prevent screen tearing.

If you are not annoyed by screen tearing, it's best to leave it off to improve performance. However, depending on the the individual program and your PC setup toggle it on or off may make a big difference. In my case, Vsync in Rage is not an issue.

And yes, please post your current PC specs when you are inquiring about upgrade.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 1:39:31 PM PDT
Angry1 says:
So my crossfired Radeon HD6850's are integrated?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 1:57:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2012 2:04:17 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
if your Crossfire Radeon HD6850 isn't build into the motherboard, then no.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:31:04 PM PST
pyroguy says:
here's my current PC specs:

HP Pavilion p7-1074
16GB RAM
1.5 TB HDD
64-bit Operating System
ATI Radeon HD 4200
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 960T Processor 3.00 GHz

I do know that I have to upgrade my graphics card in order to play "Rage" (let alone any game) for better performance, especially when played with higher Screen Resolutions turned up, and i'll be doing just that sometime after New Years when I can really afford it.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:03:12 AM PST
M. Gariti says:
I may or may not catch a bunch of flak from hardcore PC gamers for this, but... If you really want the best games for at least 5-10 years in the future without expensive upgrades and requirements, why not use the HD TV (that you most likely already have), then use the circa $500-$600 in upgrades (that will most likely need upgraded everytime a truely great new game comes out, too) to buy a Wii-U, PS4, or XBOX 720 when they come out shortly?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:09:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 11:29:34 AM PST
H. Le says:
Pyroguy,

As long as you have an open PCIe slot, and the proper power supply, you can put pretty much any card in your rig. For you, the important thing to consider is how much are you looking to spend (?)

If you have the money, something like these cards below in your rig is kinda an overkill, but will keep you gaming for a long time:

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 DVI-I/HDMI/2x Mini-Displayport PCI-Express Graphic Card GV-R795WF3-3GD

BTW, is your CPU happens to be the Black Edition ? If it is, you also have the ability to overclock with ease.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:15:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 11:18:34 AM PST
H. Le says:
M. Gariti,

As a multi-platform Gamer, I think having consoles are great -- With the exception of the Wii, I own all consoles since the Dreamcast - and still play games on them (I also have a PS1, but I don't use it much). However, I'd not want to give up PC Gaming for console gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 12:10:27 PM PST
because for one, many HDTVs are inferior in quality compared to certain monitors. monitors may be smaller, but they can pack a higher amount of quality and features that HDTVS fail to carry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:48:13 AM PST
pyroguy says:
well there is a 500-watt power supply upgrade i'm currently eyeing that's worth about $40, a fairly reasonable price. And there's a Radeon 7770 that's around $139, which is also fairly decent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:52:58 AM PST
The biggest issue is you can take your current HDTV, plug a $500-600 gaming computer into it, grab a controller, and enjoy better quality games and still have a PC that is more likely going to be stronger than the next gen consoles.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (668 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Oct 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions