Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Upgrading my daughters desktop

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 1:42:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 7:20:26 PM PST
Sudeley says:
I am upgrading my daughters computer for christmas because it is bottlenecking heavily. Currently it is a Amd x4 1.6ghz 4gb of pc-6400 ddr2 with onboard HD 3200. So What I am doing to fix the issue is upgrade ram and video card. Just want to know what you think of this budget upgrade.

1. Upgrade ram from 4gb to 8gb.
2. Upgrade the HD3200 to a 1gb gddr5 Amd Radeon 5830.

Currently the system is lagging on the lowest settings playing sims 3. I checked out the video card performance, it shows that it is compares to the nvidia geforce 550ti. Just wondering if others think the same thing as my research. I know it will allow her to play at max settings tho which is the important part.

So In all i think the 2 upgrades will allow for faster game load time and remove all lag and allow her to play higher end games also.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:39:42 AM PST
ToastyClear says:
Well, the ram is good enough. 4gigs goes a long way. However, your CPU is already part of your bottleneck. Adding a more powerfull GPU may not help since your CPU will not handle the information any faster. It is a fact that replacing the onboard 3200 by that 5830 would help but not much. Did you build the computer yourself or is it one of those pre-build? Depending on the motherboard, I would recommend getting a better CPU and then the video card. The 550ti is good but for a little more, the 560 would be better. Anyway, post your exact specs so it makes it easier to give you an advice for the upgrades.

Phenom X4 965 (oc 3.7 ghz), 8 gigs DDR3, Gigabyte FXA990-UD3 (SLI/Crossfire), MSI 6950 2 gigs (power edition), 2x500 gigs HD, Windows 7, 3x24" (eyefinity)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:24:52 AM PST
I agree. Going 4 -> 8gb of RAM isn't going to speed up the Sims at all.

@suds Post your mobo socket type so we can see where you're at. You might be able to upgrade the CPU and GPU, but keep everything else where it is and still get an enormous boost.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:22:26 AM PST
Sudeley says:
game requires only a dual core so the cpu is not bottlenecking sims 3 id have to do research to see what that motherboard can handle. But the video card will massivly help over the hd 3200 which really sucks and can barely handle 1024x768 on lowest settings. And i am not going to spend 3-400 upgrading if that was the case I would just build her a new system myself. I am not going for a system like mine for her.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:25:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:32:23 AM PST
Sudeley says:
@suds Post your mobo socket type so we can see where you're at. You might be able to upgrade the CPU and GPU, but keep everything else where it is and still get an enormous boost.

I need to boot her system up and look, its on a gateway computer so I am not seeing super quality. the hard drive is good its a 640gb 32mb cache 7200rpm sata.

But i am saying that the extra ram will help cache the game for faster access, my computer it uses 2.5-3gb of ram just to run it so it is heavily hitting the swap file and slowing the loading down.

Maybe later I will get a cpu but I dont think its that bad of a cpu, it used to be my computer before i upgraded twice over the years. It allowed me to play all games i wanted while using a dedicated video card.

here are the minimum requirements

Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
1.5 GB RAM
At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:
Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA X3000 or above.
2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
0.5 GB additional RAM

Its only costing me with gpu and ram like $150 but I won't know till after christmas how much of a increase, but i know it will be major. Another thing that is bottlenecking via the video card is the video memory is a small amount and only ddr2.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:10:14 AM PST
Sudeley says:
I was wrong its a 1.8ghz phenom ii x4. and cpu's higher than that so far are getting up there in price and gateway says it can use am2+ upto 95w if you have any suggestions.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:17:10 AM PST
ToastyClear says:
Do you have the model of gateway. Based on the speed, you have either a 9100e or a 9150e CPU on the board. Sometimes they do put decent motherboard in it but not always. With AM2+ you are fairly limited, but some AM3 CPU will work on an AM2+ motherboard. If you can put your hands on a 7750 or 7850 dual core black edition, you would be already better off then with your quad. The 7750 clocks at 2.7 ghz. Now another good CPU for AM2+ is the x3 8750. So at this point look into a good video card but keep in mind that good video card (GTX 550 would do) also requires good Power Supply and gateway installs cheap power supply.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:54:03 PM PST
Sudeley says:
Its a 9150e cpu. Motherboard has a 75w max for cpu so that is limiting. I know I will get a huge boost by moving from 4gb to 8gb of ram, going from the onboard hd3200 to the radeon 5830 gddr5 and also upgrading power supply from 500w to 850w with 2 pci express connectors which is required by the video card.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:08:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:08:37 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
in case you're daughter is interested in playing Sims 2, Windows 7 will play the game and all of it's expansions. IMO Sims 2 is better than Sims 3 to a certain degree.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:09:38 PM PST
Sudeley says:
She used to play Sims 2 but she likes sims 3 better. I have sims 2 and expansions but they just sit there lol.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:24:08 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
your daughter may wanna try this> http://www.salemthegame.com/ it's free to play and it's a bit different from minecraft, where you build your home and have to find materials to make/build stuff but it's a little more complicated, but the sad part about it is that it's open PvP, players can attack you at anytime, they can also steal stuff from your home or on your property, but they have to be at a high level to do it. there is no limit to how much property you can own as long as you can afford to pay for it through selling stuff that you make to the shop to earn money. from what I was told, the map is infinite and can build your home anywhere on it.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 10:20:55 AM PST
mc-Hotsauce says:
if you want to splurge a bit
tigerdirect . com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4960997&sku=V261-6972

amd/ati hd6970 for only $189!

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:49:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:50:28 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
yeah, tigerdirect is a pretty good place to buy PCs and Laptops too.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions