Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Graphics card intensive pc games.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2012 6:53:18 PM PDT
ken says:
Its sad that half the games I own require very powerful graphics cards.Im just curious how expensive are they and what does one do in going about getting one inside their computer?

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:23:39 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
how very powerful are we talking here? cause most of the PC games i've seen so far don't even go beyond the Nvidia GTX 9800 as for recommended requirements.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 5:20:21 AM PDT
You can pick up a card nowadays for around $150 or so that can still max out almost everything on the market.

Post your PC stats at some point and we can recommend some options for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 7:54:51 AM PDT
ken says:
Ty for the information and if you would kindly let me know how I can go about the stats thing I would truly appreciate it I have no clue in that regard im afraid lol

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 8:24:08 AM PDT
What kind of PC is it? Often pre-built systems can have their info displayed using their model number, otherwise you can do one of the following:

1. Open her up and take a look (probably not practical for new users)
2. Run a DxDiag report and post your stats. You can do so by clicking your start menu, typing DxDiag into your search box, then running the program.
3. CanYouRunIt.com actually gives quite a bit of info from its scans as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 10:59:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2012 11:41:24 AM PDT
H. Le says:
ken,

"...require very powerful graphics cards..."

Crytek's Crysis is probably to blame for you thinking like that :-) Beside your system spec, it'll also be more helpful if you let people know what range of money you are looking to spend.

I have several PCs that I game on, and I can tell you that I can run every new games - such as The Witcher 2 and Skyrim - on one of my PCs with a Nvidia 8800 GTS (I've seen a used one for $50 before) with medium graphics. So as long as you are not a graphic junkie with cash to blow, I would stay start from there and work your way up. For something that will keep you gaming for a while, I'd recommend shopping around for a Geforce GTX 460 or 560 series (I also have a 460). These should run around $200.

If you need more technical details and comments, "Tom's Hardware" is one of the good places to browse. As for the actual procedure of installing a graphic card, beside the fold-out instruction, youtube is probably your best bet. Good luck.

PS. Here is an example, and EVGA is one of the good brand names:

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1461-KR

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 11:59:27 AM PDT
ken says:
Minimum
Recommended

CPU

Minimum: Intel Pentium D 2.6 GHz or Athlon X2 +3800

You Have: AMD Phenom(tm) 8450e Triple-Core Processor

PASS Click here for the latest CPU drivers.

RAM

Minimum: 1 GB RAM under XP and 2 GB RAM under Vista

You Have: 7.9 GB

PASS

OS

Minimum: Windows XP/Vista 32 bits and 64 bits

You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 64-bit

PASS Click here for the latest Windows drivers.

Video Card

Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX or ATI Radeon X1650 XT or better

You Have: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

PASS Click here for the latest Video drivers.

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Required

You Have

Video RAM

256 MB

3.0 GB

3D

Yes

Yes

Hardware T&L

Yes

Yes

Pixel Shader version

Vertex Shader version

DirectX version

Minimum: DirectX version 9.0c (included) or higher

You Have: 11.0

PASS

Sound Card

Minimum: Yes

You Have: High Definition Audio Device

PASS Click here for the latest Sound Card drivers.

Free Disk Space

Minimum: 8.5 GB free

You Have: 247.5 GB

PASS

DVD-ROM

Minimum: DVD 4X speed or faster (read double layer)

You Have: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH30N ATA Device

PASS Click here for the latest DVD-ROM drivers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 12:00:34 PM PDT
ken says:
CPU

Recommended: Intel Pentium Core 2 2.2 GHz recommended

You Have: AMD Phenom(tm) 8450e Triple-Core Processor

PASS Click here for the latest CPU drivers.

RAM

Recommended: 2 GB

You Have: 7.9 GB

PASS

OS

Recommended: Windows XP/Vista 32 bits and 64 bits

You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 64-bit

PASS Click here for the latest Windows drivers.

Video Card

Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS or ATI Radeon HD3850 or better

You Have: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations. Click here for the latest Video drivers.

Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card

Required

You Have

Video RAM

512 MB

3.0 GB

3D

Yes

Yes

Hardware T&L

Yes

Yes

Pixel Shader version

Vertex Shader version

DirectX version

Recommended: DirectX version 9.0c (included) or higher

You Have: 11.0

PASS

Sound Card

Recommended: Yes

You Have: High Definition Audio Device

PASS Click here for the latest Sound Card drivers.

Free Disk Space

Recommended: 8.5 GB

You Have: 247.5 GB

PASS

DVD-ROM

Recommended: DVD 4X speed or faster (read double layer)

You Have: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH30N ATA Device

PASS Click here for the latest DVD-ROM drivers.

This is off of canyourunit.com I checked for Alone in The Dark pc and this is what it said .

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 12:01:18 PM PDT
ken says:
Ty so much for this information I really want to play GTA 4 but my graphics card does not meet the requirements same with many other games I have purchased sighs.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 12:02:05 PM PDT
ken says:
Im also Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit if that helps at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 12:22:56 PM PDT
M. Spietzack says:
hey whats up.well you can do what i do and lease a card.ive been on this site for over a year and have a second card from them.i lease the hd7970 BE.its well worth it if you cant dish out 800 bucks for a card.you have option to buy card out after lease is up . here is the website. www.cuttingedgegamer.com they also are on face book.tell them mike spietzack sent you if you decide to lease from them.maybe ill get a discount or something =).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 12:38:28 PM PDT
ken says:
Ty for the information I wish I could play games like Sleeping Dogs GTA 4 etc... :( When I got this computer I was happy it could play what my laptop couldnt... until I discovered that this graphics card is only compatible with a few games but not the new ones only games like the old ones or the Sims games stuff like that basically.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 2:20:23 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
oh man... next time you buy a laptop, make sure it has an actual graphics card (example: Nvidia GT 550M), any graphics card that has an HD on it, means that it's integrated and those kind of cards are useless for gaming with.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 2:29:26 PM PDT
ken says:
Shit then how do I rectify this issue then? Thanks for the information as well I had no idea . Oh and I have a computer now my mom has the laptop .

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 2:56:36 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
if your desktop has an HD graphics card as well, replace it with this> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

only $120 after $10 rebate with free shipping (affordable for a graphics card that'll work with pretty much any game you throw at it)

note: you may need to buy a better motherboard for the new graphics card to work properly or work at all (from what i've been told). or who knows, your motherboard may be ok enough for the card to work on, you'll have to try it and see to find out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 3:20:45 PM PDT
ken says:
Thanks a lot I truly appreciate all this valuable information I didnt realize how confusing and complicated this could be . Oh yeah ive heard of newegg they seem to be a really good company.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 5:39:13 PM PDT
bfore13 says:
"any graphics card that has an HD on it, means that it's integrated and those kind of cards are useless for gaming with."

Don't all of the AMD cards now have HD in their name whether they're for desktops, or discrete or integrated in laptops? My recent desktop build has an HD 7850.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 6:01:33 PM PDT
Yes, yes they do.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 6:24:38 PM PDT
ken says:
So do I need to find someone who can change the card?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 10:38:08 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
well if it was the laptop, I would say have someone else do it that knows what they're doing in how to take a laptop apart, replace the card with the new one and then put the laptop back together in the right order. but since it's the desktop, you only need to open the tower lid, take the graphics card out of the slot and put the new one in the same slot, close the lid and you're done, turn on the PC and hope that it accepts the new graphics card, go online, download the latest drivers for the new graphics card and then it'll be ready to run games.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 5:48:28 AM PDT
Just depends largely on your system. I had to build mine, pro:much cheaper than HP, Dell,etc. better parts, upgradeable as far as i want to take it. If your system does not have a PCI-E Slot on the motherboard the sad fact is you can't upgrade to a video card if you wanted to. Afraid you are stuck with onboard unadjustable graphics, my friend. hope that helps a little. RD

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2012 5:52:35 AM PDT
It's Radeon cards with the HD whatever number on them. MSI cards are GTX.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 6:33:23 PM PDT
ken says:
Where is the slot you are talking about? Ty all again it helps a lot... I just wish I could afford a graphics card but cant at the moment sighs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 10:16:00 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
the slot where your current graphics card is plugged into.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 4:23:29 AM PDT
Isn't the HD 6450 part of the APU?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Oct 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions