Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Why is Steam suddenly good?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2013 4:17:26 PM PST
I'm glad you asked. Steam is suddenly good because:

0. While their original user management was horrible (and I mean "I lost access to games I'd paid for," horrible), they actually took the criticism to heart and have made their system easy and relatively painless to use. In a world full of terrible user management, it's refreshing to see it done right.

1. They've moved from being "that DRM that your game comes with" to being "that company that stops publishers from doing something stupid about DRM"

2. They actively push publishers to make their games multi-platform for a single purchase (some publishers don't play ball, of course)

3. They actively push publishers to support Linux.

4. Games purchased with a Steam key continue to work with future systems purchases (future OSes is a separate problem that involves Publishers, of course)

5. The ability (but not requirement) to let friends know when and what you're playing, automatically.

6. Steam gives publishers a common platform for sharing saved games across systems.

7. Steam works equally as a stand-alone client for managing your game library and as a Web-based app, so you can access your games list, buy additional DLC or even trigger an install on another machine from any modern Web browser!

Basically, what it comes down to is this: DRM, in general, kind of sucks, but hackish, one-off DRM implemented by companies that don't know what they're doing is orders of magnitude worse, and Steam gives you a great deal of power and control in return for requiring you to sign up for an account and admit to installing a game. If you can cope with that much, Steam is a huge win.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 8:56:47 PM PST
Dry_Bones says:
Wait, you are in the wrong thread. There is a discussion about this already, here:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/pc%20game/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg152?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3GKALMXMEZ5D&cdPage=152&cdThread=Tx1BHSSFRJ11LY8

Don't let the title fool you. It really is a pro steam thread. lol

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 12:11:16 AM PST
Mark Lahren says:
It's good now, and I predict it will stay good as long as they continue to exist, and don't keep changing their Terms Of Service. Best wishes to all who have their entire gaming library tied to it. Nothing could possibly go wrong with this stellar service.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 7:37:38 AM PST
Sparhawk says:
If Steam implodes or joins the Sith Empire I'll go through the hassle of piracy. I've given money for these things, which satisfies my moral imperative, and the convenience is significant. Until then...I will enjoy my convenience and delegated organization.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 9:18:21 AM PST
Shanghaied says:
This is the kind of discussion I want to have: whether fair use doctrine could be applied to purchased (and not explicitly rescinded) software licenses to guarantee you could still "acquire" and use software that has been made inaccessible by whatever means.

I don't know as much about the subject as I'd like to, but I definitely would welcome an intellectual debate on the subject between both sides.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 10:51:36 AM PST
I don't think any game company would have a prayer of prosecuting someone for seeking a "cracked" version of a game that someone owned on Steam, should Steam go away tomorrow (keep in mind that the likelihood of that is so close to zero as to be functionally ignorable, since the Steam user base probably represents most of the value of Steam at this point, and any failure of the business would likely involve the sale of that very lucrative asset... and thus the continuation of Steam under new ownership... but that brings with it possible changes in direction, of course).

But you're right Shanghaied, the conversation we should be having is around "how can we ensure that games library as a service type companies aren't black holes into which we're throwing our money and one day losing it? I have this same problem with Amazon's Kindle library of digital books, Google's Play Music service of digital music (which I should note you are allowed to download in its entirety and make a backup of), Steam, Amazon's Software Download Library, and many, many other services.

I feel we need to have some kind of regulatory involvement, here, that lays out what these companies can and must provide to their users.

But that being said, my core point was that Steam is no more just a DRM service than Google's YouTube is just a rights-matching service for digital video. Steam provides so many additional features to users that looking at it as just DRM is just silly.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 7:47:58 AM PST
Steam would be better if it were on my PC AND my PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 8:08:01 AM PST
Steam is on PS3, sort of.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 4:17:16 PM PST
I have nothing bad to say about Steam, I enjoy using it, and don't care if certain games are tied to it, versus a retail box. And if for some reason I'm on the go with my laptop, tether wifi to get past the initial checks, game on.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 9:08:10 AM PST
Landry says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 10:18:24 AM PST
K. Koors says:
@Lanjo,

What rock have you been hiding under to have never heard of Steam? o_O

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 7:12:30 PM PST
bfore13 says:
Well then you must not come to the PC game forum because the thread below has been around for 4 yrs.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/pc%20game/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3GKALMXMEZ5D&cdThread=Tx1BHSSFRJ11LY8

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2013 6:04:20 PM PST
5 million daily Steam users would suggest that it is at least moderately well known, lol.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 11:53:45 PM PST
MrImmoli says:
If it weren't for Steam I might buy games more often.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 3:22:30 AM PST
pyroguy says:
why is Steam good? 2 words: STEAM SALE!!!!!

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 12:49:46 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 11:07:51 AM PST
D. Neckels says:
Can't think of any reason (that applies to me personally, anyway)...

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 5:29:49 PM PDT
CombatWars says:
Steam is the Facebook of gaming. You can post on each other's walls, can post updates, games bought are shown like Facebook shows pictures. Friends will know if you are in a game or not, online or offline and can systematically message you or join the game you are in. Getting achievements are also shown in the "news feed" along with friends you've added and such.

Not only that but it gives an easy access to a plethora of games that many people may enjoy at a usually low price(depending on if you can wait for a sale to buy it or not). Pre-orders usually comes with many bonuses and games influence other games(BL>BL2, ETC>TF2). The Market and Steam Workshop allows people to make money depending on their ingenuity. From a recent article, some people make 500K a year by making things(blueprints, weapons, hats, etc) for TF2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 1:11:05 PM PDT
D.L.C says:
So? After the sim city debacle, steam looks really good. I have a few games on it but compared to the other services, steam does DRM in an acceptable way. Don't have to worry about activations on a new computer or if I upgrade, can play offline. It's not perfect but way better than competing systems. Plus sales are awesome at getting games I otherwise wouldn't have known abou. My two biggest time suckers now are indie games.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (675 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jan 23, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions