Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

FPS on PC isn't easy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 12:47:23 PM PST
John Galt says:
I built my computer for the first time and sat down to play Crysis on a mouse and keyboard. Needless to say, I need practice. It is not as simple as 'point and click'.

While playing, I am struggling to move and switch weapons quickly. I constantly have to look down at my keboard- 'right, I have to press 2 to switch from a SMG to a shotgun'. It is not a pretty sight when you have a platoon shooting at you.

I've given up with the melee attack. I forget if it is defaulted on the key 'T' or 'Y', but I can never find it in time. The movement is not as fluid as a controller. I have to leave the WASD keys to reach for the melee which leaves me immobile for a brief time.

I'm just venting. I have the game set on easy and I'm still being slapped around. I'm not planning on quitting any time soon. Anyone have any pointers on how a newb in computer gaming can play games like these better. Is there a better configuration of the keys?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 12:58:08 PM PST
WeaKeN says:
a lot of games support a controller. i have to same problem. i am absolutely horrible at FPS on PC

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:18:39 PM PST
Kin-foot says:
I haven't played Crysis but can't you change the keys? I would think so.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:29:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 2:30:53 PM PST
John Galt says:
I am resisting the urge to go the route of buying an xbox controller for the PC. I just didn't want to go into a 'why didn't I just buy the game on the Xbox' argument. Thanks WeaKeN, I appreciate that I am not alone in having difficulties with the controls.

I'm think you can change the keys, but I haven't tried yet. I've only played the default control settings. Thing is, I am new at playing games on PC, so I wasn't sure if there was a better way to reconfigure the keys.

edited ()

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:02:34 PM PST
bfore13 says:
Not all FPS use the same keys aside from WASD and the mouse. Use mouse wheel up/down to switch weapons and the 3rd button for something else if possible. Make sure you use the keys around WASD strategically since your hand is already there. Many FPS use R for reload and E for use. Map Q, F, G, Z and X to things like melee, grenade, etc. Try to use the same keys on every FPS and over time you'll get used to the movements.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:37:07 PM PST
H. Le says:
Remapping the keys may help. Some are more comfortable with ESDF instead of WASD, but I'd still recommend that you get used to the basics before going to the alternatives. It takes practice and patience -- And after a while, you'll instinctively know where the keys are - just like typing.

If it's worth any consolation and encouragement, I had the same problem when I first tried playing FPS with a controller - but I got it down eventually :-)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:52:09 PM PST
P-Nasty says:
It's because there is little to no auto-aim on PC games. Console games always have auto-aim.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:20:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:22:13 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Something like this might help you:

SteelSeries Merc Stealth Gaming Keyboard

I use this keyboard, and it's worth every penny.

Regarding the mouse aiming - you'll just have to get used to that. You have a lot more precision with a mouse/keyboard - which can be daunting to a console FPS player who is used to auto-aim.

I got Borderlands 2 for my PS3 after being primarily a PC gamer, and had a really tough time with FPS controls on a console. When I play on console, I feel less like I'm actually controlling the character and more like I'm just "suggesting" how he/she should move. The auto-aim keeps you from developing the need to actually get the thing you're shooting within your sights.

Last night, I was playing BlOps2 and a console guy showed up (I know this, because he kept announcing that he should have gotten the game on console, but he wanted to try PC). He was very vocal about how hard it was to play on PC - we were trying to give him help, but he eventually got frustrated and left. He was easy to spot on the map, because he would just be standing out in the middle of everything, and you could see him slowly aiming around trying to hit people. I assume that's how I look to another console player when I play FPS games on my PS3.

Anyway - I wouldn't give up on PC-FPS. Once you get the hang of it, you'll see that you have 1000% more control over your experience and playing an FPS on a console will feel like playing Super Mario Brothers with heavy gloves on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:33:58 AM PST
I have the ZBoard MERC Stealth, from before they were bought out by SteelSeries. Awesome keyboard. I can't go back to a standard one, now. I'm so spoiled.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:56:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:57:09 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
I had the ZBoard MERC Stealth as well - it's my "spare" now. :D

I remember spilling a Coke on it once - and I nearly called 911. Panicky - I took the thing apart, washed each piece seperately, dried it out, and held my breath when I re-connected it. It worked, thankfully.

This was in that weird transition period where the SteelSeries Merc wasn't available yet (and I didn't know it was going to be available), and the ZBoard MERC was tough to find - so I thought that if that keyboard died, that was the end of it. I got the SteelSeries MERC Stealth the instant I saw it in a store just to make sure I would always have one.

So, I'm spoiled too. It's an awesome keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:09:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:14:19 AM PST
I got mine at a yard sale, of all places. It was $10 and brand new, still in the box. Someone got it for their kid, and he's a lefty. So it went into the closet until the community yard sale where I got it for a steal. That was about 4 years ago, and it still works great. The black coating has rubbed off on the W and "jump" keys, but everything still functions exactly the way it should.

I need to get a replacement "just in case," though.

I still have an older Zboard (with the detachable keysets) lying around, but it isn't the same. Typing on it was pretty rough, and sometimes I had to unplug it to switch keysets or it would go all kinds of wonky.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:18:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:19:51 AM PST
I have the 360 Wireless controller and I played Crysis 2 SP & MP and did very well. Don't believe all the Hype that you will get destroyed if you use the Controller. I used to think this and after I started using the Controller (Without Aim Assist) I was still getting kills and having fun. I just use the FPS Freek nubs and I do just fine. I suck with the M/KB and play ALL games on my PC with the 360 Wireless Controller. I finished Crysis 2 SP with no problems.

http://www.kontrolfreek.com/FPS/KontrolFreek-FPS-Freek.asp

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 10:41:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 2:39:55 PM PST
Crysis 2 isn't exactly a "twitch" shooter, though. The SP wouldn't be bad, and the MP could be doable. I wouldn't expect a controller player to top the scoreboard against M/KB players very often, though.

And I'm 100% positive someone with a controller would get dominated in a game like this against M/KB players:
http://youtu.be/BeQNUeYLeeI
Feel free to try it, though. Let me know how it turns out.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:16:58 PM PST
John Galt says:
I didn't even consider auto-aim as a reason for my poor aiming. Scrolling through weapons with the mouse wheel sounds easier than pushing the 1,2,3, and 4 keys.

I've played about 5 hours of Crysis now and I'm getting better. I'm still terrible, but I'm improving. The highlight of my game was when I found the option to turn off the suit's voice- the repetitive comments can really kill the mood. Thanks for the comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:32:59 PM PST
I use 'F' for melee.
I use my right thumb on the right side number pad for switching weapons.

After you get used to a PC for FPS, you cannot go back to using a controller. It's not even close.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 12:41:45 PM PST
John Galt says:
I didn't even think of using the number pad on the right side of the keyboard- that is so much better than leaving the WASD keys to select a different weapon. The default leaves F as the action button but I hardly ever have to use it. I agree with changing that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:16:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 1:16:39 PM PST
Yeah that's the thing. It takes a while to remember in your head which buttons you're using all the time and which buttons you hardly use at all. A lot of the time, half of the buttons around the WASD keys by default are non-essential functions and need to be changed.

I also use 'E' for crouch. I use 'R' or sometimes 'Q' for the action button depending on that particular function in-game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:47:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 6:48:03 PM PST
Shanghaied says:
You WILL get destroyed in any FPS where the players using K/M are even half-way decent.

Using Crysis 2's MP or SP as a benchmark as to whether your controller can hack it in online play isn't doing anyone any favors.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:47:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:49:04 PM PST
Lone Wolf says:
It all depends on what you're used to. I can't play a FPS on the PS3 or Xbox to save my life (I do well at sports & driving games though) but feel very natural playing COD or Crysis on a PC. As a matter of fact, I feel like the mouse & keyboard give me much more precision when it comes to aiming or moving around the battlefield than a controller would. So I always go out of my way to buy the pc version whenever possible. But you younger fellas, on the other hand, are the complete opposite of me.

As far as melee or switching weapons on the pc goes, I use my mouse wheel for all that. Try changing your control settings & see how that works for ya.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 2:09:40 AM PST
gamerkilla08 says:
I was the same as you my friend. I built my first PC and tred Crysis, I was terrible. Very hard to get used to the controls. But I found out that there are three games you should try that are free and dirt cheap to get used to the controls. They are really highly rated games too.

First, try Team Fortress 2. It is free and it will get you accustomed to the controls.

Next, try Left 4 Dead 2, it is similar to team fortress 2 but this game requires more quick reactions and it will improve your skills greatly.

Lastly, try borderlands, it has the aim down sights and by then you should be used to the controls and movements.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:51:49 AM PST
just use razer naga, its a mouth that has 15 more keys to click, but its practical easy to get, just search it under amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:17:38 AM PST
For most new gamers, 15 tiny buttons on a mouse are overwhelming. Not to mention extreme overkill for FPS games...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:12:59 AM PST
Agreed! I love doing on-the-fly headshots with K/M. It feels like cheating when compared to using a controller.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:33:55 AM PST
N. Stevens says:
Practice.
Practice practice practice.

If you can stay open minded enough to practice with the K/M combo without wishing you had a controller in your hands (and don't get consistently destroyed all the time - makes it hard to stay in the zen), you'll be good, and I would say it's way better. ESPECIALLY when your gameplay performance is good. (For example, on my laptop, k/m kinda sucks; the games aren't smooth enough for it to be responsive. Also, there's the issue of my mouse not being that great, but honestly, the higher the system performance on any given game, the less you'll notice this (in my experience)).

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 3:34:25 PM PST
John Galt says:
I changed the keys around like many of you suggested and it is getting easier. Crysis has Q and E for leaning right and left- at least for me they are the most useless movement keys in the game. Scrolling the mouse wheel for weapons works well.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions