Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Why is Steam suddenly bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2009 7:49:34 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Because of the illustrious DMCA it would be illegal...even if you own it. What a great law!

(Note, there may have been some sarcasm in the above statement.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2009 8:10:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2009 8:10:58 AM PDT
Dreaming.. says:
"(Note, there may have been some sarcasm in the above statement.) "

For real? :-)

**What it is, really, is the result of an abuse the customer has suffered. How is it anything but an annoyance to have to hunt down and then spend multiple GBs of bandwidth downloading a piece of software for a second time in order to rectify problems caused (or imposed) by the original seller?**

In the end it could be that this, is what it's all about, the marketin department (and ignorant CEOs) taking over the whole development of the game, thus resulting in rushed, mediocre end products that need several GBs of patches to get it to a working state.

This is nothing new, it's been around like for two or three prior generations of DX, the only difference is that now the customer is treated like a sexual slave, and they like it too....

Posted on Jun 29, 2009 9:05:33 AM PDT
Bryan says:
'Lest we forget.....westwood's "Soul Survivor" flavor of C&C during this long conversation about the pros and cons of having games locked into a company that may or may not be there next week. How many of you have a copy of it in your stuff? :) Promises from the industry mean nothing in business.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2009 7:03:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2009 7:13:57 PM PDT
Noliving says:
Why would valve ban, correct term is disable, your account? The modified game would have nothing to do with the steam program considering the modified game that you downloaded wasn't downloaded through steam, as a result if it was discovered valve software wouldn't do anything because the modified game has nothing to do with steam. I would love to see you go through the EULA and show me where it says if you download a modified game that does not use the steam program in terms of it being downloaded through steam that they would disable your account. Really this is just misinformation on your part because there would be no way for them to be able to verify if a modified game you downloaded from someother site or program other then steam that runs on its own is pirated or not, they wouldn't be able to verify it that it is a geniune game or not.

You don't have to download multiple GB's of bandwitdh downloading for a second time, just burn the files to a disc or back it up to a online storage or put it on a usb.

Posted on Jul 1, 2009 12:41:51 AM PDT
J. A Miller says:
I'm 50/50 with STEAM right now. Overall, I've actually enjoyed it. I'm a very casual gamer though. I enjoy the way it organizes and delivers me content. However, as of late I've been having lots of problems just getting games to load. Why? Who knows... the thing just updated again and the forums have fifty different solutions. After trying about 15 or so I get tired of it. Why do I suddenly have to launch Left 4 Dead twice (it always crashes the first time) and why do I always drop from the server on Unreal III after downloading a map? None of those things used to happen. But intermittently the problems will disappear and come back again later. And perhaps that is the most irritating thing about STEAM. These problems come and go at random. HL2 stopped working altogether for a while but I tried it yesterday and it works. Well yippy. I wonder if it will work next week. It's been really bad as of late, so if these problems continue to happen then I'm going to start avoiding Steam.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2009 6:03:52 AM PDT
Noliving says:
Your unreal tournament 3 issues sounds like its an issue with unreal 3 considering the servers you connect to play online games for that game are not the steam servers or servers hosted through steam.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 7:00:35 AM PDT
S. Pachman says:
It's not that Steam has suddenly become a problem. It has always been, at least for me, a problem... a big, big problem. I have a state of the art computer (updated drivers, power graphics card, Pentium 4 3.4 , etc and I have always paid full retail price for pc games. Who am I to expect that once the game is installed, it would load and be playable? Again, I can only speak for myself, but any pc game I have ever bought that utilized Steam (to prevent pirating software), had to be returned as unplayable.

Hence, I always welcome reviews that mention Steam and I avoid buying products that use Steam. Specifics??? I have played and enjoyed every publication in the Total War series except Empire. You guessed it. It associated with Steam and it would not load on my system. Also, Tech support is non-existant. I buy about 15 pc games a year and a "gamer" since Windows95. I hope this answers your question

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 8:17:36 AM PDT
Pacman, that sounds more like a problem with your system than a problem with Steam. If everyone was experiencing the same problem that you are, Steam wouldn't even exist today.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 8:35:22 AM PDT
S. Pachman says:
Could be... you may well be right. Nevertheless, my pc is not solely used for pc gaming. I use it for converting VHS to DVD, vinyl to CD,
editing photo and digitizing negative film, to name but a few applications.

Sure, I love my games but it doesn't make sense to "tweek" what works with other applications around a single pc $ 50.00 game. Besides, for the few that are not playable on my system there are twenty that in fact are there for me to enjoy. I just avoid the "few" by taking a "pass" based mainly on my reading reviews... really reading them to see if what they say are applicable to my experience. I've always had problems with EA but I know thousands have not or who simply ignore the "bugs" and/or download patches.

Thanks for you're reply - but with "one star" tech support, I have not found an easy fix to my problems without disrupting something else

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 10:16:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2009 11:53:53 AM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
Don't listen to Michael Thompson trying to blame your computer for Steam's problems. For one, by the slant of his posts here it seems he has some kind of personal interest in Steam (or else some irrational need to stifle complaints). But that aside, if I recall correctly, he has no experience with boxed games that require Steam for activation and use (only the direct download games). It is the boxed games that come with problems and it is not just you or your machine.

Mike says: "If everyone was experiencing the same problem that you are, Steam wouldn't even exist today." Most of us realize that Steam is doing just fine catering to the tweens with Momma's credit card with their digital sales 'service.' That doesn't mean that thousands aren't cursing their name.

The reason that there are not that many people speaking up in online forums like this is the same reason that there are only a few hundred formal complaints against Valve filed with the Better Business Bureau: most people are not inclined to speak up about problems. Most will collect their refund, chalk the whole thing up to experience and go on. After a few such experiences they may stop buying boxed games with the Steam logo (tiny and hidden somewhere on the back among the logos of the production studios), but still only complain a little in casual conversation.

I'm a vocal critic here on Amazon mainly because I had massive problems with Steam that robbed me of more than a little time (due to my high level of patience back when I was still on dialup), so my grudge is pretty severe. And yet, even I have yet to file a complaint with the BBB, figuring there is enough there already to get the point across.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 12:16:20 PM PDT
Wolvenmoon says:
I'll toss in my two cents, even as far in the thread as this.

I've never liked steam, I've never wanted it. I tolerate it only for valve games and some indie games. If there is not a disk in my hand that is installable, updateable, and playable in an offline state, I will not buy it until it's in a pack of 5 games for $9.99. Really, the only reason I have steam is for garry's mod.

For me, I've bought about 12 games in the past 6 months, none of them on steam. Empire total war was cracked and pirated before its official unveiling on steam, and steam is the only way to play it. I find that disgusting. There is no reason for it to be on steam other than customer abuse and control.

If they want to release a steam platform version of their games, that's great for them, as long as I get a hard copy CD I can play where I want, when I want.

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 12:40:02 PM PDT
Bryan says:
A little off topic, I find it interesting to click on the profiles of the people who post here in this thread. My experience is the most vocal for steam being acceptable have nothing in their history on Amazon. People who complain about steam have a pretty through history on Amazon in their profiles. Hmmm. Shills? Sock puppets?

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 12:52:41 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Interesting observation. Yeah, that would seem to support that idea. Other than not understanding the issues, I can't see any rational reason for people to support activation, unless they have personal financial gain at stake. (And even then, I'd sure question the morality of my job if I had to promote activation.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 1:33:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2009 1:34:03 PM PDT
Dreaming.. says:
Oddly enough I just reported more or less the same problem to amazon customer support department.

I've noticed that in a lot of cases for X product sold here, the most positive reviews get a lot of + votes, thus get prominently displayed, while the negative ones get voted out of sight.

So, make no mistake, there are a few steam drones hanging around here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 1:47:50 PM PDT
Noliving says:
It is a possibility though, not something to be ruled out.

Or one or the reason why there are only a few hundred formal complaints against valve with the bbb is because valve is able to deal with the customers problem that the customer finds acceptable and as a result they don't file a complaint against valve? I disagree that most people are not inclined to speak up about problems, especially on steam's forums, people complain all the time there. I find that the most vocal people on the internet tend to be people complaining or making a complaint, which you yourself admit to being one. Question, are the problems you had with steam still present?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 1:49:48 PM PDT
Dreaming.. says:
Dude why would you pay attention to damaged brain folks?

*You are right*, nothing is wrong with your PC, and after shelling out premium price for your games, the least you thing you deserve is proper technical support.

welcome to the discussion, we look forward to hear more from you.

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 1:55:30 PM PDT
Noliving says:
Also just to let you know R.J. Satori, Steam/Valve's rating on BBB is an A. If you don't believe me here is a link: www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/internet-services/steam-in-bellevue-wa-27030704

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 3:15:22 PM PDT
R. Spencer says:
A complaint that I have with Steam is their patches. Valve games get patched rather fast, but third party games? Not so much. There is an open thread of 11 pages for unpatched games on Steam's forum.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838858

Many retail games are patched but the patches for Steam versions come months behind if they are updated at all. There are also things like Community patches, for instance Vampire Bloodlines community patch fixes numerous issues that the retail patches did not, but they are not installable on the Steam version.

Because of these and other issues, I only buy Valve games on Steam where it is a necessary evil. The only third party games I will buy is ones that are on sale for very cheap, like the recent Penumbra series for $5.

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 3:35:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2009 3:35:43 PM PDT
Bryan says:
....for instance. Noliving is an avid poster here in the forums but hasn't reviewed a product on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A2OGSY5N28BRLD/ref=cm_cd_et_pdp

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 3:48:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2009 4:14:49 PM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
As you've been following this thread (and probably all other threads critical of Steam) long enough, Noliving, I don't feel like going over the lost time and never functioning softwares again. Valve cannot reimburse my (not insignificant) time lost, and I never pressed for a refund of the money. I was put out far more than my monetary investment, and like others, eventually had to go to elabourate lengths just to be rid of the unwanted Steam client.

I hadn't checked the BBB in quite awhile. It's unfortunate to see that their rating has improved -- it takes quite an effort to go through the BBB complaint process, but I suppose more of us should be doing it. Just for the sake of accuracy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 4:11:19 PM PDT
Bryan says:
My review on Orange Box last year was assaulted by someone who said that my negative review of steam was inaccurate and that I was wrong to complain. I need to look that up to see if it's a name I will recognize. Wouldn't it be odd if I could show a pattern of certain posters commenting here and there with a focused commercial agenda? Violating the TOS and stuff. I will work on that tonight.

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 6:01:09 PM PDT
Icaniam says:
I have 10 games in my steam account. They are all except one a HL2 series are were part of my HL2 package. To me Steam has always been bad, but given the current DRM madness, I see Steam as the lesser evil. As have been mentioned earlier, you can not resell, trade or give away any Steam games in your account. I see other companies using limited activation to do what Steam has accomplished with second hand sales (none). With limited activation I may not be able to play my games in the future, but i do not see that as a problem using Steam.

Posted on Jul 8, 2009 2:04:16 PM PDT
S. Pachman says:
I don't think you are off topic. That was my meaning to the statement "read reviews carefully". I read all reviews good/bad and sift through the comments, opinions, and name calling. I post a review from time to time on Amazon as a sort of buyer experience alert, nothing more. True, I am a long time buyer on Amazon and continue to do so because of their generous return policy. But it is senseless to continue buying a bad product and then have to return it. Like I said, my experience with Steam has twice now been bad. Once shame on them. Twice, shame on me. Third, there won't be a third time. I currently do not have an 'issue" with Steam because I avoid having to go thru them for my recreation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2009 6:57:17 AM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
Don't listen to Michael Thompson trying to blame your computer for Steam's problems. For one, by the slant of his posts here it seems he has some kind of personal interest in Steam (or else some irrational need to stifle complaints).
___
He has his system set up in such a way that it won't allow Steam to install games properly on it and it's not his system's fault? That's like trying to say you removed a car battery and the car won't start, so somehow it's the car manufacturer's fault.

I like how when people don't agree with you that they somehow must be an employee of Valve, or have some kind of financial interest in them. I understand that some people are having problems with Steam, but I own at least 15 - 20 games on Steam (Valve games and otherwise) and I've never had a single problem. You are right that I've never bought a boxed game that requires Steam to play, but if I did I bet I wouldn't have a problem getting it up and running on my computer. However, my computer was designed for one purpose: playing video games. I use my second computer for every other activity.

I also have to disagree with what you said about people that have problems don't speak up. It's quite the opposite, actually. The people with the problems are the ones that are most vocal. Steam wouldn't be popular with these developers if masses of people were having problems with the service. If I couldn't get games to work on Steam without a lot of hassle, I wouldn't use it, either. In fact, the only reason I got Steam in the first place is because a new graphics card I bought came with a free version of Half-Life 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2009 7:27:34 AM PDT
S. Pachman says:
I couldn't agree more.

The way I understand it - and I may be wrong,
having to activate a pc gaming program through Steam was a corporate means of preventing "pirating". My only comment on that is that if a publisher would concentrate instead, on quality instead of shooting themselves in the foot with Steam (only the brain dead would want to steal a piece of junk anyway) they would wouldn't be complaining about lack of sales.

In my experience going back to Windows95, gamers are usually fair minded and honest. Yes, there will always be a few dishonest gamers who cheat and try to get something for nothing. But I want to believe that the legitimate buyers and gamers far exceed the feeble few.

As a footnote to all of this, I, in fact, got a response from Creative (developers of Empire: Total War) who e-mailed me they were working on a patch and would contact me soon. After a few months of this nonsense (I am also very patient) and long since returning Empire to Amazon, I received yet another e-mail saying since they have not heard FROM ME, they considered the issue closed and resolved. WHAT???? Buy a pc game that doesn't load, wait two months whereby the chances are good it will not be returnable, and then blame the buyer's pc. Yeah right!!! Like I previously posted - there will not be a third try at Steam and goodbye Total War, it has been real. It wasn't through lack of trying I am now unable to join the parade(?) to Steam.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 169 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (672 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  260
Total posts:  4212
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2009
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions