Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Why is Steam suddenly bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2009 4:37:33 PM PDT
Bryan says:
You are mistaken about copy protection. For instance, Securom is loaded with GTA4 if you get it from Steam. I fully "understand" that steam AND Securom are needed to play GTA4 if you buy it through steam. And forever huh. Like all those "Lifetime" Fighter-ace subscriptions? Like Star Lancer which has no servers to play on? I'm glad somebody doesn't mind being steamed. I use steam because I like TF2 and HL etc. but I don't like the resources that steam uses on my PC to keep me from pirating software.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2009 4:38:49 PM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
Now go collect your paycheck, Collin.

Like all the other rabid Steam fanatics who feel the need to praise this "service," you seem to miss the point of the complaints. So far as I know, none of the people complaining were looking to buy a game online and download it. If Steam were only this, we'd never have encountered it. Where we have problems is with boxed games using Steam for DRM.

So your praise is unrelated to the problem, and I posit that you are out of line to dismiss complaints about boxed games when you are not a consumer of boxed games.

On the subject of digital delivery, however, I have another anecdote: I bought games on RealArcade, before Valve jumped on the idea and made it nefarious with this boxed-game "activation" scheme. I didn't mind using a client and downloading games, but I was never fool enough to think it was a great idea. And I can tell you how that has turned out: I lost access to every game I ever bought from RealArcade.

RealArcade is still around. I still have a valid account and the company has done it's best to reimburse me. I just tended to like those particular games that fell by the wayside and were no longer supported when the company changed it's client to support newer operating systems -- granted, the flight sims and shooters were never RealArcade's focus, but even a 3D puzzle game was among them. I was ultimately given vouchers to trade for newer games on RealArcade, and I'll give the company credit for trying on that level.

However, Axis Arena in particular was a personal favourite. Had it not required the RealArcade client to install and run, I would still have installed on my system alongside other long unsupported classics like Rocket Jockey and HardWar. But because it was only ever sold through digital delivery, through a client-requisite system very similar to Steam that the company abandoned, it is now nothing more than a memory (and my persistent desktop background).

So, praise on. And hope that someone from Valve doesn't identify your account and deactivate it because of your public admission of violating their usage policy: "You can even share Steam accounts, say both you and a friend want to play a single player game like Bioshock? Simply go halfsies and you can each log in, and each play a country apart."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 12:28:03 PM PDT
Brian says:
I'm mainly an activation hater. Steam has good and bad points to it. If Steam were simply an electronic download of games and a player communication service, I would use it. As an activation watch dog on my computer? Forget it, I'm not interested. I've never player HL2 or any other Steam exclusive as a result, and I never will.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 12:51:04 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
I wouldn't either, except someone gifted me a copy of Half Life 2, so for free....

I would have bought Half Life 2 at launch otherwise.

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 11:19:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2009 11:19:56 AM PDT
Desjay says:
Here's what I don't like/trust about any software that has to connect to a server for any reason at all.

If the company decides they don't want to support the software anymore, or goes out of business (HELLGATE: LONDON)
they will shut the servers down, and the software has become useless

If MY Internet connection is out, (Lots of Thunderstorms where I live) the software is useless, because it can't connect
and "OK" it to run on my Computer.
An example of this is the Addons for NWN, they phone-home to compare serial numbers or whatever.
If my internet connection is out, I cannot play that addon, because it can't phone home and give the "Thumbs Up" so I can play it.

I'd rather have it like the old days, where I buy some software (without the Company automatically assuming that I'm a Pirate)
and I can use it and when I'm tired of it, I can trade it in, or sell it to someone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2009 12:09:39 PM PDT
Bryan says:
Yeah the whole "everybody is potentially guilty of piracy" thing gets old.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2009 11:48:49 PM PDT
Burr says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 1:38:23 AM PDT
Tim Winter says:
I like Valve, I hate Steam. Not everyone has internet due to various difficulties, so it can be hard to activate a game online. Much less play one that requires an internet connection. My brother can't get internet in his current apartment, a problem with the previous co leasee not paying the bills for half a year even though my brother was giving him the money to do so. So, the Orange Box I gifted him 2 years ago still sits installed, but unplayed. Becuase even though it's single player, you still need to go online to set it up to play offline.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 5:51:22 AM PDT
Bryan says:
Oh and change is always so wonderful right? Like the assassination of the Shah and the Theocracy in Iran? Just like your political analogy, this "change" is only going to be permanent if people accept it. This taxpayer/ Game player doesn't buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 7:19:14 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
<<<Burr says:
Because these people will never be happy. They seek things to throw conniptions about. A very sad, angry existence they lead. How pathetic to refuse change when it has already happened. Reminds me of old conservatives stuck in the past, talking about their spaghetti dinners with past presidents. >>>

Do you work for a marketing department? Or are you really this clueless? And if you work for a marketing department, have your bosses not considered that insulting their customers (further) isn't really going to win them points?

"These people" (ie everyone) "never happy"? Uh, no we were all quite happy with our games prior to not being able to buy/own them. "Very sad, angry existence"? What a bizarre, insane conclusion to draw from someone wanting to own their games. And as Marty mentions, "change" isn't automatically good, as is clearly the case here.

I'm just waiting for one of these marketing drones to claim "I WON'T BUY SIMS 3 UNTIL THEY ADD ACTIVATION!" Hee hee.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 7:36:50 AM PDT
Bryan says:
Some people won't be happy until they own nothing. Subscription of a game for a week/ month/ year and poof! nothing.

On another note, I pulled out Return to Castle Wolfenstein and loaded it up. I have had that game for years. I loaded the serial from the package and Voilà! Ready to play! ... no web connection or verification needed. Just play it. I can remember how annoyed I was when I got it. It was the first game I had ever installed that required a serial. So with that perspective, whats next? biometrics? Retinal scans? DNA Swipes? Through it all PIRACY CONTINUES!! only the customers are inconvenienced.

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 7:41:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2009 7:41:59 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Hee hee, yeah, maybe you'll have to send in a DNA sample next before you're allowed to 'activate' the game you 'bought'. I trust these companies to somehow manage to come up with SOMETHING even worse, that we wouldn't have dreamed of.

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 9:44:03 AM PDT
Meh, I have no problem with Steam. I've swapped PC a couple of times and downloaded my games straight to the new PC using my Steam account - very convenient. I've also never had all these mysterious problems accessing my account or losing games or getting banned and losing my games. All that makes me question the user's integrity.

I personally think all the outrage about online activation is a paper tiger because let's face it: scumbags will still download pirated software and will rationalize their theft in a million ways. I just love it anytime said scumbags who use pirated software get their drives corrupted and lose their data. It really is a beautiful thing. The best one I heard of is where people are watching a pirated movie that is wiping their files as they watch the flick; once the credits roll it's the end of their hard drive too - haha!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 9:47:38 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
What does any of that theft you're talking about have to do with activation? Activation doesn't stop theft. And no, Valve's activation servers are still online, so you can access it (for now). You don't however own any of that, given that you have to check in with a third party to get to play.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 10:16:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2009 10:16:45 AM PDT
Bryan says:
Remember what happened to Hitler's "Brown-shirts". Loyalty is sometimes rewarded in unexpected ways.
Imagine having 30 or 40 games in Steam and it goes out of business.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 11:43:38 AM PDT
Dreaming.. says:
Dale

LOOK!!!! What I huge load of crap just came of your mouth!

{clapping}
Go boy amuse me more!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 11:56:33 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 12:15:01 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Wow. How much is wrong with that statement? You're now equating someone who wants to own games with someone who steals games, equated stealing games with piracy, and equated stealing games with pedophiles and gang-bangers, and then claimed because someone wants to own games, they're probably a gang banger, thief, and pedophile.

Wow. That is sterling logic there. THAT is why you don't understand the issues at stake.

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 12:40:53 PM PDT
Bryan says:
As I understand it, there will be no possessions in the new world order. You will work for the collective and what you need will be provided as you need it. Who owns anything with a mortal existence?

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 1:01:27 PM PDT
Wolfpup: No, I'm equating software pirates to pedophiles and gang-bangers in that I have no sympathy for them. Let's face it, this is not about people wanting to own games this is about people being upset because they cannot get free, pirated games because of activation codes and the like. I won't buy certain games because of the piracy software they install but this is usually because their software interferes with legitimate applications (I think space rangers 2 fell under this) but I'm not going to boycott companies like Steam that cause no problems with other applications. I respect people's desire to want the actual box and disc but I don't respect people making their desire for free software into demonizing a company that has put in safe guards to protect their intellectual property.

If my logic seemed a little hyperbolic, it probably had something to do with the inane and childish reply to my post. I'm not afraid to get dirty with the trolls.

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 1:20:17 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
<<Dale Albrecht says:
Wolfpup: No, I'm equating software pirates to pedophiles and gang-bangers in that I have no sympathy for them.>>

Okay, that wasn't clear, but you're still equating people who want to buy games with people who want to steal games.

<<<Let's face it, this is not about people wanting to own games this is about people being upset because they cannot get free, pirated games because of activation codes and the like. >>>

No it isn't. You're completely, 100% wrong. People who steal games continue to steal games. Activation does nothing in the slightest to deter them. Activation only hurts people who buy games. You've been buying into industry propaganda.

<<<I respect people's desire to want the actual box and disc but I don't respect people making their desire for free software into demonizing a company that has put in safe guards to protect their intellectual property.>>>

That's not what this is about.

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 1:37:23 PM PDT
Bryan says:
I don't care if it's an un-deactivated RFID at wal-mart or a DRM scheme that makes me jump through hoops to play the games I buy... I don't steal. I resent being treated like a potential thief. If you "Embrace" the fascism that is DRM out of your sense of fairness or lack of self control, good for you but I will politely disagree with you. As long as you care to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2009 4:02:20 PM PDT
Dreaming.. says:
hahahahahahahaha

you're too funny dude!!

PS
Yes you put pirates in the same boat with pedophiles and gang-bangers:
"The great thing about software pirates, pedophiles and gang-bangers is that no matter..."
so don't say no because yeees you diiid!.

soooo getting right back at you, make me laugh more please!

Posted on Jun 21, 2009 9:38:09 AM PDT
Vocaloid says:
When did the copyright protection software began?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2009 8:26:17 AM PDT
Dreamingby says:
Yes you put pirates in the same boat with pedophiles and gang-bangers:
"The great thing about software pirates, pedophiles and gang-bangers is that no matter..."
___
Uh, yeah I did and you left out the part where I said "...is that no matter what awful things happen to them, you can always feel good about it." I'll stand by that.

I really think the outrage about copy protection is really overblown. If you want to play Mario World, you buy a Wii. If you don't like the Wii and won't buy one, you don't get to play Mario World. Are you going to talk about how fascist Nintendo is for not letting you play Mario World on your XBOX?

Boycotting Steam because you don't like their game activation is a valid protest but please don't infere that Steam is infringing on your freedom of choice or something.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  261
Total posts:  4215
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2009
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions