Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Why is Steam suddenly bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 18, 2014 8:21:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2014 8:48:27 PM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
Yeah, Steamworks isn't even counted as DRM -- even some of these developers have bought in so hard to the notion of Steamworks as a "service" they seem to really believe they're doing someone a favor by embedding it.

I have bought many smaller games on GOG, and some larger ones that are older and either hard to find or problematic under later operating systems. If you are buying digitally, GOG has the best system out there. I re-installed all those games from GOG installers after a recent drive failure without even being connected to the 'net; that is something we'll probably never see from any of the other digital retailers. My gripe is with the developers who keep pushing Steam on customers, even if they also want to sell through GOG.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2014 8:03:07 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
I feel like GOG's the only thing going right right now with all this. I'm finding myself caving on some of this nonsense, but still, I always get a GOG version if possible, and I'll often pay full price on GOG but NEVER on Steam or the like. Like literally something I'll buy for $40 on GOG I'd pay $3 on Steam, as GOG you're actually buying it.

Super annoyed by the lack of backwards compatibility on the new consoles...if one of them had it, I'd standardize on it for some of this stuff.

Geez...I guess Ubisoft is doing their OWN Steam-esque service now too? Uplay or whatever I guess is their Steam, at least on PC?

Blows my mind how many games on Steam have a SECOND entire layer of DRM on them. Actually I'm okay with stuff like Uplay if it's only needed for online multiplayer, but single player stuff shouldn't need it...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2014 4:48:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2014 4:59:01 PM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
You miss my point: they bundle Steamworks with the ONLY physical distribution, thus still limiting the customer to full digital download regardless of how the game was purchased. That's not more options so much as more false advertising. A physical disc without Steamworks (you know, capable of actually installing from said disc) is an option.

I find this out by seeing something on GOG and ordering the boxed game (because it is fairly large and as I have mentioned many times: my bandwidth is metered, slow, capped, and very expensive), only to wind up with what amounts to a Steam code with a fancy box and a pointless DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2014 10:44:58 AM PDT
H. Le says:
R.J. Satori,

"Game developers who sell themselves to Steam/Valve bundling Steamworks with their physical media distribution, then turn around and make a "DRM free" version for GOG. WTH?!"

This is a good thing. Some developers' goal is to get their games out to as many storefronts as possible; and to provide as many purchasing options to Customers as possible to increase sales. More options is always better than less option - especially when it comes to DRM.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2014 7:09:23 AM PDT
Rick Wainio says:
Well, bud, you can kick and scream all you like, but the fact is, DRM is here to stay whether you like it or nor. Fact is, DRM DOES work, and simply because you write an intelligent reply does not mean that you are correct. Maybe you're just going to have to give up gaming?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 3:54:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2014 3:56:53 PM PDT
R. J. Satori says:
"Theft of games does suck, but activation has nothing to do with preventing it. People who steal games are going to steam them regardless, and don't have to deal with DRM."

Indeed. First off, there is at least one group I've seen on the interwebs that is dedicated to nothing but Steam cracks, and they seem to have a distro for every game that comes out so if you want to steal games it's probably easier to steal those cracked Steam releases now than games that were published on physical media. Also, it is worth noting that removing Steam DRM demands the distribution of complete games, rather than small patches which can be applied to games installed normally, so if anything Steamworks encourages "piracy" more than other supposed copy-protection schemes.

Plus, strip out the embedded DRM and many games even perform better.

But you know what's been bugging me lately? Game developers who sell themselves to Steam/Valve bundling Steamworks with their physical media distribution, then turn around and make a "DRM free" version for GOG. WTH?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2014 8:44:30 AM PDT
Anthony says:
SecuRom.

that is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 12:08:42 PM PDT
Rick Wainio says:
lol whatever you say bud! Fact is, DRM, Origin, and Steam are here to stay whether you like it or not. Looks like you're just gonna have to deal with it bud!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2014 9:21:06 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
You just proved my point. You couldn't actually list a single positive, then committed both an ad hominem and straw man fallacy. No one said anything about "change".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2014 2:49:36 PM PDT
Rick Wainio says:
"There's no reason a normal customer would..."

Sure there is bud! The reasn is DRM is just not that big of a deal. But folks like you do not like change, and so you go down kicking and screaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2014 12:37:55 PM PDT
H. Le says:
Francisco,

"The game is suppose to be sold."

To be perfectly clear, no one here is promoting piracy. However, since it's obvious that you did not read this comprehensive thread in sufficient length - of which I do not blame you - basically everyone agrees with your above statement. The more precise issue in discussion is that, with certain types of DRM, the game is not truly sold as a product, rather it's a license to play with permission attached.

To summarize this thread for you, Steam has its pro and con; and for the most part, many Customers are OK with it. However, the primary purpose of DRM is to restrict Customers' rights to resale and gifting; anti-piracy is a pretext. If you are truly determined to steal games and are willing to take the time and the effort to learn how, you can steal virtually any game offered by Steam or any other similar gaming service providers. DRM does not make Customers honest. Only honest Customers can keep themselves honest.

At any rate, thank you for posting in this Lazarus thread to keep the DRM discussion alive.

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 11:21:28 PM PDT
Nicos says:
it never was good brother

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2014 4:04:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2014 8:44:48 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Why do you love activation so much?

There's no reason a normal customer would...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2014 2:04:07 PM PDT
Rick Wainio says:
Ahh yes...you have the attitude of a defeated man. It's called "change" my friend! If you don't like it, well then that's just too darn bad! DRM /Steam/Origin are all here to stay! Deal with it bud! ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2014 1:16:14 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Why don't you show your source that it somehow magically stops theft?

By the way, it's theft, not "piracy", which has an actual meaning.

Amazingly GOG.com does quite well, as do publishers that don't use it, while people who steal games are usually playing them before people who buy them, despite all your precious activation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2014 1:07:14 PM PDT
Rick Wainio says:
He was spot on with his post. DRM, Steam and Origin prevent piracy. Show your source if you believe otherwise. I have over 50 games on Steam and Origin for 10 years now and have never had a problem!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2014 7:04:36 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Theft of games does suck, but activation has nothing to do with preventing it. People who steal games are going to steam them regardless, and don't have to deal with DRM.

I hope you at least buy games from GOG.com instead of Steam when they're available there, as games often are.

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 2:46:19 AM PDT
Francisco says:
Steam is awesome. I have more than 10 games and can play them online or off and with steam connected or not, the games download separately. I think DRM is the right of the business it needs to stay profitable and masks great games. Plus they got plenty of indie games and I am happy to pay for them with DRM. The important thing is the hashing experience and to stop piracy. The game is suppose to be sold. I fully reccomend steam and Origin and any DRM infused source for awesome games, piracy sucks. Put your money where your mouth is and keep greatgasmes away from pirates sand empower gamers and developers!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2014 1:53:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2014 1:55:56 PM PDT
D. Neckels says:
Same.

As a matter of fact, I am looking at the new Wolfenstein. Would love to buy it. But it will probably require steam so I wont.

I miss gaming, but not much. If it ever comes around I will come back around.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2014 2:23:01 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
What do you mean by their illegal software?

I found a bug in their backup utility...it's possible for it to create directories that end in a '.' Character, which isn't valid in windows. It should be simple to fix, and I shot them a detailed message....which they completly ignored, just sending a link to the backup info page.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2014 8:32:25 PM PDT
Had a similar issue with a purchase for the Painkiller hell and damnation. They posted false info on what I purchased for dlc upgrade that included a copy of the game and they refused to give my money back or give what I paid for saying its not their problem. Many others had the same issue and reported steam and no one got reimbursed or what they paid for so steam changed the info on the dlc and left out the free copy of the game that ligitaly came with it. I still have the emails which shocked a lot of people I shared it with. Don't get me started with their full support of pirated or illegal software.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2014 1:47:43 AM PDT
its bull------ lol

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 10:46:50 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Wow, thanks for that info. If I needed more reason to avoid Origin...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 10:37:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2014 11:04:09 AM PDT
H. Le says:
I play most of my games offline and the problem I have with Origin is that offline mode no longer exist for some games after I install DLC.

For examples, after installing DLCs, Mass Effect 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur force an online Origin server log-in every time; otherwise, the game save will not load.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 9:46:46 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
Wow. I've had faaaar more problems with Origin.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 168 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (670 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  255
Total posts:  4199
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions