Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Great Deal: The Humble THQ Bundle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 3:47:28 PM PST
H. Le says:
"Seven legendary titles to rock your gaming library. The Humble THQ Bundle is here with a colossal onslaught of esteemed titles. Pay $1 or more for Steam keys for Company of Heroes (and its two full-blown expansions Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor), Darksiders, Metro 2033, and Red Faction: Armageddon. And if you pay over the average price ($5.60) you'll also receive the extraordinary Saints Row: The Third!"

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:31:28 PM PST
its a good bundle. but i don't like the fact that, buying it even for a $1 and you only get 1 key that redeems them all except SR3, regardless if you own the titles or not. stupid in my opinion, especially if you want to give away keys to those who don't own the game you already do. i dont understand why they cant' do it like groupees, indie gala, or even indie royale.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:22:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 7:29:25 PM PST
H. Le says:
Thanks for the response. Although I support this bundle for its great price (e.g. SR3 alone is currently $15 on Amazon and $40 on Steam) and still think it is a great deal overall, I agree that the way they (Humble Bundle, THQ and Steam) handle the affair is probably not the right way to go.

To break it down, my take is that if they are going to basically give games away, then they may as well make it DRM-free, because: 1) THQ can use whatever chump-change they can get their hands on right now - and as much of it as possible - regardless of DRM; that is, DRM should be the least of their worry given the state they are in. 2) The Humble Bundle can always built on their good reputation as a genuine supporter of indie games. In this case, it looks like the first step in a new direction for the Humble Bundle - and I am not sure if I like it. And 3) As you suggested, I don't think Steam should be involved. If Steam is to get involved, then make the games that Customers already owned available as gift to others.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 4:48:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 4:51:31 AM PST
They did this so that it doesn't affect the steam trading economy. I don't know why you can't understand this.

Damn entitled PC elitests. You give the rest of us a bad name.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 4:50:55 AM PST
"If Steam is to get involved, then make the games that Customers already owned available as gift to others."

Why? That would cause all of THQs games to be 100% worthless in Steam trades instead of 90% worthless in Steam trades. Adding gift copies for these bundles shouldn't happen, as it's been that way recently when activating any HIB games on Steam.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 7:51:33 AM PST
H. Le says:
Capt. K,

If THQ is desperate enough to put their best selling games on the Humble Bundle, then obviously, Steam sales is not enough to bail them out.

Regardless, as stated in my previous post, I still think it's a great deal - and that's why I am promoting it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:01:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 8:02:37 AM PST
No, I don't think Steam sales are going to bail them out either. However, HIB stated that it was their decision to try a AAA HIB and see how it sold. Obviously it is selling well so we'll see more of these in the future. It wasn't only about THQ, but they might have been a good starting point due to their financial position.

They're not getting rid of indie HIBs either, and the next one should show up shortly after this THQ HIB is finished. The issue is people complaining about the single key for the game activation. HIB haven't split them up recently for any games, nor should they. They devalue the games in the trading economy if you do that. That would tick off a lot of Steam traders and set a horrible precedent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:35:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 9:46:44 AM PST
H. Le says:
Capt K,

Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense. However, I wonder who you referred to as "Steam traders" (?) since I don't think Steam Customers like myself who already own these games will mind if someone else buy the bundle for cheap - and Customers can't trade Steam games anyway. Besides, although I understand that Steam is probably just looking out for its own benefit, it is doing better than fine and does not need the financial help from THQ game sales; it's THQ who really need the immediate help this one - and perhaps final - time. As is, to me, this is a unique one time event and not a precedent - and I'm hoping that Steam and other publishers/developers can also see it that way.

As for The Humble Bundle, it's good to hear that they are going back to indie games. And although I'd prefer that they stick with indie developers exclusively, offering AAA games for cheap is a good thing for all; but I'll believe it when I see it - since I doubt that any other big publishers are going to offer their latest and best selling games for the bundle unless they are in a dire financial state.

Personally, I already own 4 of the 7 games and doubt if I have time to play the rest, but I bought it anyway since it still is a great deal - and it helps THQ out in the process (I, for one, am hoping against hope that they won't go under). Therefore, it is not a big deal to me, but at the same time, I understand where others come from.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:43:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 9:45:36 AM PST
There is a huge market for Steam trading. Just last weekend I traded a very rare Dota 2 item for both Fable 3 and Civ 5: GotY. If those two items had been sold in an HIB, they wouldn't have been worth the combined $25 I was going for with the trade. Someone that uses Steam trading / selling and has a massive library of game passes or items would take a huge hit to their catalog's value. This would absolutely tick off a portion of the gaming community that make Valve a lot of money. Selling a group of games for a $1 HIB would set a precedent if you allowed the games to be given as gift passes to other uses through Steam's trading service.

The Humble Bundle has been selling much more than indie games including music and books this year. They're branching out and running more sales, which I think only benefits developers and charity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:49:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 9:51:04 AM PST
H. Le says:
Thanks again for the exposition on Steam trading that I am not fully aware of. I was thinking of the entire game instead of its part.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:02:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 9:03:34 PM PST
they did this for android #4. each game had its own individual key, and even when they gave you android #3 bundle, all those games had their own keys too. the original version of the android #3 bundle was a one key only thing like before - if they were able to do it once, i dont' see a reason why they couldn't do it again. hell, even when you buy the THQ medley bundle from amazon, you're library includes keys for each game. i could car e less about being a steam trader. i have so many duplicate keys that its only fair to give them away to someone who wants them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:56:50 PM PST
Because android games don't usually cost $20 each, yet can be bought in a $1 bundle.

Amazon bundles those games together because they have excess keys and are probably losing money on some of them. They weren't the ones that published or developed those games. THQ didn't want to devalue their own games on the steam store as much by splitting the bundle and offering 6 steam keys for $1 so people could hand out the rest as gifts. They're protecting themselves a bit and not offering gift copies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:32:35 PM PST
Chris Lees says:
But... you could have picked up Fable 3 and Civ 5 for like 15 bucks or less during the autumn sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:41:13 PM PST
Civ 5 GotY with all DLC and Fable 3 both drop to about 12.49 each usually. Fable 3 was just at 12.49 during the fall sale and it hasn't gone lower than that on Steam yet. Civ 5 GotY was the same price if I remember correctly. I think Amazon might have had it for a little less one day, but this way I didn't have to pay anything out of pocket.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions