Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Uninterruptible Power Supply advice?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2013 9:57:23 PM PST
Finger says:
We've had 2 power outages in my area over the past couple of weeks. both were short-lived, but they've made me consider buying a UPS for my home PC. I'm not worried about losing any work, I'm concerned about the possibility of it being damaging to my PC. Unfortunately I know very little about them.

In fact, I don't even know if an outage is harmful to the components. I'm sure it can't be beneficial. Right now I have my system connected to a good surge protector, but that's it. And I'd hate to see my new computer become damaged by an oversight in my power protection setup. If it is necessary, How can I choose the one thats best for me? Thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I've seen a couple that seem good from APC and Cyberpower. The ones I've been looking at are around $140-190. I didn't realize they were so costly!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:21:10 AM PST
What you should do is measure how much wattage your PC is pulling at any given time... or take a really educated guess. Then just buy according to your wattage. I would buy one that gives you around 14-15 min of time at the rated wattage.

I've been using APC for about 10 years now and I really have no complaints.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:11:59 AM PST
H.Le says:
APC is very helpful. However, if you are not concerned about saving your work, then I do not think it is really necessary.

I live in a mountain community and blackouts and brownouts are normal occurrences. I only have an APC for my work PC so I can save my work in progress. As for my other PCs, good surge protectors are all I need. I never have any hardware damage with blackouts, but a brownout took out one of my graphic cards before.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 11:28:07 AM PST
Last July, during a storm, I lost my dsl modem, printer and a usb port. Surge protectors are not enough. I now have a CyberPower 425VA UPS.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 9:02:05 AM PST
BryanOPs says:
i really recommend you APC, to me they are just best you could buy. im a satisfied customer of them for 6 years now, i used to have the APC Back-UPs RS1300 (sold it to my grandparent ) for the newer version APC Back-UPs PRO 1300 and they just got better

i use mine to protect my PS3 (my main reason to get one was this lol) led tv, pc, external hdds and modem/wifi router. just tell me, what are $200+ to protect an over $3k+ investment? (then again where i live my electricity isnt as stable as i would like so... )

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 10:11:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 11:45:14 AM PST
Finger says:
I think you're right, and I've decided to buy one soon. I've been trying to figure out the difference between those which use a Modified Sine Wave vs. those which use a Pure Sine Wave.

I understand the concept now (I think) and am trying to figure out whether I can use a Modified type for my computer or if I'll have to shell out even more money for a Pure type.

EDIT: Got a hold of Antec customer support, the manufacturer of my power supply. They were very clear that I'd need a Pure Sine Wave. Dammit. $$$

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 6:40:52 AM PST
BryanOPs says:
haha sorry to hear that, but trust me that peace of mind it gives you is priceless

good luck!

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 12:26:16 PM PST
If you haven't purchased a UPS yet maybe my 2 cents will help. I've have a CyberPower 1285AVR running my computer for close to 2 years now. During that time there have been a couple of brownouts and a lot instances of the power going off and back on in less than a second. Each time that's happened the UPS went to battery power instantly and my computer never knew it. I also have a smaller one that protects my entertainment system. Long story short I didn't like all my expensive equipment exposed to naked line power. Also my computer's power supply is a Corsair 1250 watt and it's perfectly happy with the half wave that this UPS puts out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (686 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions