Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Uninterruptible Power Supply advice?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2013 9:57:23 PM PST
Finger says:
We've had 2 power outages in my area over the past couple of weeks. both were short-lived, but they've made me consider buying a UPS for my home PC. I'm not worried about losing any work, I'm concerned about the possibility of it being damaging to my PC. Unfortunately I know very little about them.

In fact, I don't even know if an outage is harmful to the components. I'm sure it can't be beneficial. Right now I have my system connected to a good surge protector, but that's it. And I'd hate to see my new computer become damaged by an oversight in my power protection setup. If it is necessary, How can I choose the one thats best for me? Thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I've seen a couple that seem good from APC and Cyberpower. The ones I've been looking at are around $140-190. I didn't realize they were so costly!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:21:10 AM PST
What you should do is measure how much wattage your PC is pulling at any given time... or take a really educated guess. Then just buy according to your wattage. I would buy one that gives you around 14-15 min of time at the rated wattage.

I've been using APC for about 10 years now and I really have no complaints.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:11:59 AM PST
H. Le says:
APC is very helpful. However, if you are not concerned about saving your work, then I do not think it is really necessary.

I live in a mountain community and blackouts and brownouts are normal occurrences. I only have an APC for my work PC so I can save my work in progress. As for my other PCs, good surge protectors are all I need. I never have any hardware damage with blackouts, but a brownout took out one of my graphic cards before.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 11:28:07 AM PST
Last July, during a storm, I lost my dsl modem, printer and a usb port. Surge protectors are not enough. I now have a CyberPower 425VA UPS.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 9:02:05 AM PST
BryanOPs says:
i really recommend you APC, to me they are just best you could buy. im a satisfied customer of them for 6 years now, i used to have the APC Back-UPs RS1300 (sold it to my grandparent ) for the newer version APC Back-UPs PRO 1300 and they just got better

i use mine to protect my PS3 (my main reason to get one was this lol) led tv, pc, external hdds and modem/wifi router. just tell me, what are $200+ to protect an over $3k+ investment? (then again where i live my electricity isnt as stable as i would like so... )

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 10:11:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 11:45:14 AM PST
Finger says:
I think you're right, and I've decided to buy one soon. I've been trying to figure out the difference between those which use a Modified Sine Wave vs. those which use a Pure Sine Wave.

I understand the concept now (I think) and am trying to figure out whether I can use a Modified type for my computer or if I'll have to shell out even more money for a Pure type.

EDIT: Got a hold of Antec customer support, the manufacturer of my power supply. They were very clear that I'd need a Pure Sine Wave. Dammit. $$$

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 6:40:52 AM PST
BryanOPs says:
haha sorry to hear that, but trust me that peace of mind it gives you is priceless

good luck!

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 12:26:16 PM PST
If you haven't purchased a UPS yet maybe my 2 cents will help. I've have a CyberPower 1285AVR running my computer for close to 2 years now. During that time there have been a couple of brownouts and a lot instances of the power going off and back on in less than a second. Each time that's happened the UPS went to battery power instantly and my computer never knew it. I also have a smaller one that protects my entertainment system. Long story short I didn't like all my expensive equipment exposed to naked line power. Also my computer's power supply is a Corsair 1250 watt and it's perfectly happy with the half wave that this UPS puts out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (672 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions