Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Why is Steam suddenly bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 3251-3275 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:44:15 AM PST
bfore13 says:
Maybe you should've started a thread titled "Why is Gamespy suddenly bad?" where your post would've been relevant.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:49:08 AM PST
Hehe, I downvoted them because I had a feeling Gary would comment on it. >:)

I understand why they did it though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:52:23 AM PST
bfore13 says:
"Also: You call us out on reviving old threads? What do you call this then Gary?"

Actually it was RJ Satori who made that claim (I replied to his whiny post) which is funny since he was the first to reply to Gary's post.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:56:10 AM PST
Ah ha. So the initial reports were lies.
In that case, game over. Servers don't run for free. Anyone who has rented servers for games knows that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:57:23 AM PST
Correct.

The media jumped on false accusations and ran with it. I don't blame Glu for shutting them down at all.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:14:27 AM PST
One of the things to remember is that pretty much all of those old games have LAN support and small communities anyway, so Hamachi works just as well as Gamespy ever did. I hated the stupid login thing anyway. It's one of the reasons I didn't play Borderlands online much. Using Gamespy on Steam. Eww.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:05:34 AM PST
Amazing how the Media can make something seem so much worse than it really is isn't it?

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 7:36:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 7:37:43 AM PST
Did Gary really just kick this dead horse again... oi.

Must have been a slow day at the office/home...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:09:29 AM PST
Gary says:
Fair enough, and I don't worry about losing games either because I refuse to buy from them or buy any game that requires installation of their insidious bloatware (with said word being defined as any code not absolutely necessary to play the game).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:10:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 7:25:58 PM PST
R. J. Satori says:
Actually... my comment was on how a handful of folks had decided to hijack this thread with streams of nothing but slander for critics and mass toadying for Valve, whereas otherwise it would see only an occasional bit of activity as someone new stumbled upon it or a subscribed individual posted up some new link to a news item or article.

I've no problem at all with a bump that adds something, like Gary's link to the GameSpy situation. I've now blocked most of the individuals whom I was referring to.

As for the GameSpy scenario being "apples and oranges," that's just not true. At it's core, the Steam "service" aspect is what displaced GameSpy, with Steamworks actively competing with the same sort of integrated service package offered by GameSpy. It's actually shocking that GameSpy was ever charging for their game servers, as they were always capitalizing on them to sell other products and services, as well as fueling an advertisement stream. Of course, that became less and less lucrative, so the company that acquired them decided to actually demand recompense from game publishers. I see no reason that Steam could not suffer the same fate....

Do I think it's terrible business to do that, and ultimately shut down old servers that aren't pulling their weight financially? No, not too terrible, given the circumstance. GameSpy's reputation has suffered as probably decade+ old hardware continued to service all those old games, with substandard results, and so fewer and fewer new game developers chose to support them over Steamworks. GameSpy has been dying for years now, and this looks like an amputation intended to prolong the company's life (I'm curious if they have anything else in mind, or if this is just the beginning of the end). The business model that lead to complete reliance on such remote services was not very considerate of consumers, however.

Luckily for gamers today, most of the older games that lost GameSpy support do offer some alternative for networking. That is less and less the case in the last decade, and possibly nonexistent among Steamworks games.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:17:12 PM PST
"I've no problem at all with a bump that adds something, like Gary's link to the GameSpy situation. I've now blocked most of the individuals whom I was referring to."

>It's a public discussion forum, we can talk about whatever we want in here.

"As for the GameSpy scenario being "apples and oranges," that's just not true."

>Of course it is. Gamespy doesn't determine whether a game will run on its own or not. Gamespy games work perfectly fine without Gamespy. Steamworks games do not work perfectly well without Steam. In fact, they don't work at all without a lot of fancy legwork. They are absolutely two completely different services. One is a large collection of servers for games provided for other publishers that determined not to run their own online options, yet the game works 100% on its own without the service running. The other is a restrictive front end that does *not* allow you to play your games without its use. Gamespy shutting down servers is a minor irritation. Steam shutting down servers would completely lock many people out of their entire game library if they didn't plan ahead.

"GameSpy has been dying for years now"

>Definitely true. It's no wonder that devs and publishers stopped paying for the service. It largely wasn't worth the cost considering the little benefit it offers. I can easily run a server in NWN for friends through Hamachi over Gamespy without resorting to Gamespy's (in my opinion) sub-standard service.

"It's actually shocking that GameSpy was ever charging for their game servers, as they were always capitalizing on them to sell other products and services, as well as fueling an advertisement stream."

>They were charging for their game servers. They charged the publishers and the developers, many of which stopped paying for their services as many as 4 years ago according to Glu.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:15:01 PM PST
Viktor says:
I only buy and play Steam games... Steam is the best thing that happend to me in all my gaming live!!! :D :D :D :D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:14:18 AM PST
*facepalm

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:27:10 AM PST
now now... he's partially right. Steam is still awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:44:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 10:46:00 AM PST
Hell yeah, it is.
For a gamer on a budget who still wants to experience all of the great games out today, a Steam sale could very well be the best thing that happened to him as a gamer.
For someone who treats the discs and boxes as more important than the actual gaming, maybe not so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:11:20 AM PST
Discs and boxes take up too much space!

Plus... Winter sale coming soon!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:39:43 PM PST
Sparhawk says:
WINTER IS COMING! http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx343/ul2010b/steam-winter-sale.jpg

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:46:47 PM PST
Shanghaied says:
The only problem with the Steam Winter Sale anymore is that I pretty much have all the games I want.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:39:51 AM PST
I'm holding out for Black Ops 2 to go on sale... i hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:51:40 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
I'd be surprised if it does - I don't think I've ever seen anything from the CoD's go on sale except the DLC packs.

It is a good game, though - got it as an early Christmas present around Thanksgiving, and it's been consuming my time since.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:00:19 AM PST
I would be too, and if it doesn't than I can still pick it up at normal price, not like it will go above that :3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:27:02 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
You may want to keep an eye on Target and Wal-Mart during this sale.

I remember one of the Steam sales going on a while ago when MW3 was relatively new and I was waiting on it to go on sale - it never did on Steam, but during that sale I saw it at Target for about $20 off ($40 instead of $60). Snagged it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happens with BlOps 2. It seems like the major retailers stage things around the Steam sales to take advantage of things that don't go on sale via Steam.

The cool thing with the CoD series is that it's Steam enabled no matter what version you buy - so I usually get the physical versions of those.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:28:15 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Look at that:

http://www.target.com/p/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-pc-games/-/A-14101001#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=black ops 2

$49.99

Only $10 off, but that might be as good as it gets for this one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:29:53 AM PST
Steam has it at 17% off, i'm hopefully waiting for 25% or more.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:10:18 AM PST
R. J. Satori says:
You sycophants act like Steam is the only digital retailer that uses "sales" tactics, but as was mentioned long ago in this thread it was GamersGate who published research on the effectiveness of sales in boosting overall revenue. All digital distributors do the same thing.

It's no favour to anyone, as it does increase their revenue stream in the immediate term (which is as far ahead as any corporation cares about anything). Potentially larger returns long-term are ignored, and their profit margins are near 100% to begin with after stripping packaging and distribution costs, so it costs them nothing to make drastic cuts.

So here are links to both Amazon and GamersGate's current massive sales:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_26410_27426100_pe_button/?docId=1000716161&ie=UTF8

http://www.gamersgate.com/offers
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  262
Total posts:  4249
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2009
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions