Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Building a Budget Rig - CPU Help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2012 2:31:40 PM PDT
SMH says:
Which would you go with:

Intel Core i3-3220 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 Ghz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i33220 - $119.99

AMD FX 4100 4-Core Processor, 3.6 4 Socket AM3+ FD4100WMGUSBX - $109.99

AMD FX-4170 4.2GHz Quad-Core Socket AM3+ CPU with AMD Virtualization Technology - FD4170FRGUBOX - $104.99

Reviews from what I have seen seem to say that the power consumption of the 4170 is really high compared to the others, so that one might be out for me. The intel seems to draw the least power and run the coolest if my research is correct.

My biggest concern is which will have the most longevity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 5:09:45 AM PDT
The quad core processors will most likely give you more longevity. Do you have a Microcenter around you? You can get an i5 for a relatively cheap price if you do.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:12:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:12:59 AM PDT
You also want to keep in mind the socket type, And if it will be easy to upgrade later in life should this one need to be replaced. I made that mistake with my last PC, i bought a MB with a socket type that only lasted another month after I bought it and in order to UG again I had to basically buy a new PC.

I would personally go with the Intel Core i3 of your list, but will agree with Capt. If you can get an i5 you will be much better off, but it would increase the price to 170ish.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:15:25 AM PDT
SMH says:
Do socket types change often?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:18:45 AM PDT
I do not know a great deal about the cycles of changes, I happened to buy mine at the complete wrong time. And once you have an intel socket, you have to stick with intel, same with AMD. Computers are... finicky things.

My PC Now has socket 1155, and I can only hope that sticks around. this time I know that there are better processors than the one I have for this socket so even if the socket changes in the future I can still upgrade. if you buy the i3 now, and say a year or so from now you want a new one you will easilly be able to find an i5 or i7 to upgrade to.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:35:42 AM PDT
SMH says:
Yeah I do like that with the intel, knowing that I have at least 2 upgrades in front of me at some point without making any major changes.

Are the only things that matter from a compatibility standpoint CPU and motherboard? For instance, if sockets change, worst case scenario is that I just have to change my CPU/motherboard, but the rest of my components should still be fine, is that correct?

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:42:03 AM PDT
Well... yes and no :/

This is why it's complicated. RAM for isntance may work in one MB, but not be complatable with another, though that has lessened as of late. Certain Video Cards will only be compatable with more recent Motherboards, the once I have needs a PCi express 3.0, while the others will only need 2.0. Those are the small things you have to look out for.

IN GENERAL yes, they will be compatible. RAM will be the trickiest. HDDs may also be tricky as older ones need an IDE port, my new MB doesn't even have an IDE port on it, just SATA.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:47:49 AM PDT
SMH says:
I have never built anything before, so everything I buy will be current as of now. I am going to assume that it will all be fine for a while lol.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:50:40 AM PDT
ooooh Oh i see. This is your first Custom rig? Welcome to hell!

I remember my first rig, after that I swore to never build my own again... then I did anyway and still hated it.

If I may suggest, take a look at this site. I got my most recent PC here, it cost the same as if I custom built it. And even if you don't buy from them, it's a great way to figure out what parts you will want and their various prices. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

you will be able to find almost all the items also on newegg.com, a great site for buying PC parts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:57:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:58:27 AM PDT
SMH says:
Ha! I'm starting to see the hell aspect. There are just too many choices out there for me to make decisions. I've been soliticiting advice in another forum (Capt K from above has helped me out quite a bit) but still haven't bought anything other than a case and a PSU. I thought I'd come here for some more perspective. For the record, I got:

Case:Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:02:23 AM PDT
hahaha! That's funny, that is the EXACT case for my old PC. It's a great case and will hopefully serve you as well as it did me. The power supply is a good one too.

And even better news is that RAM is cheap now a days. When I made my PC it was still pretty pricy. Glad someone is helpin ya with it, if there is any more advice ya need let me know. I may not be an expert but i can at least impart my wisdom of Experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:16:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 9:18:47 AM PDT
SMH says:
Thanks. The PSU came with a $25 rebate as well, so that was a nice bonus. That should pay for most of my RAM.

You know, the more I think of it, and considering it is my first build, I'm going to go the cheaper route. The FX 4100 just dropped to 94.99, and from what I've read it's going to be more than fine for my needs. I officially ordered it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:18:52 AM PDT
Do you plan to Overclock it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:20:02 AM PDT
SMH says:
Maybe? Probably.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:24:10 AM PDT
Be careful with that, you will need a decent cooling fan. And it's not covered under warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:26:50 AM PDT
SMH says:
Yeah...I was considering buying this:

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler System

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:48:54 PM PDT
you don't need a liquid cooler to overclock. a decent heatsink and fan can do justice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 1:18:40 PM PDT
SMH says:
Recommendations?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 3:24:27 PM PDT
depends on how much room you'll have in your case, because they can be of massive size. i'm talking HUGE.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:22:11 PM PDT
SMH says:
I don't know how much room. If you look back a few posts I list my case.

I read that Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-B10-212P-G1) can fit in my case. Will this be ok?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:42:09 PM PDT
H. Le says:
Dave,

I have the Cooler Master CPU cooler linked to in your post. It is an excellent cooler - especially when you consider the price. If you want to, there is the option to add a 2nd fan (not included) to this cooler to make it even better.

Also, if you have the Antec case listed above, this cooler will fit in that case (with a listed 8.1" width, you have plenty of room - my case is narrower)

BTW, if you are unclear with the printed instruction for installation, check out Tom's hardware website, there's much better instruction there with video included.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:37:22 AM PST
SMH says:
Excellent...I picked it up!

On another note, anyone know of a good place to find black friday deals on pc components? It would be sweet to find some discounts on some of what I need.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:40:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 1:41:00 PM PST
black friday deals? its sporadic. i personally use ggewen and ziibrepus [mirrored since you know who doesn't like it] when it comes to that time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:05:45 PM PST
H. Le says:
newegg.com is reliable - and they have good tech support. Also check out this clip from newegg if this is your 1st built: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

TigerDirect.com is another one that I've good experience with in the past. However, their shipping cost can be pricey (they ship from Florida). Hopefully, they've improved this by now.

Fry's Electronics usually have some very good deals - either in store or online - but their tech support and Customer service is dodgy.

Amazon also have some excellent deals around Black Friday, especially when 3rd party market vendors begin to compete with one another (this how I got most of my components for my last PC built) - but same issues as Fry's when you are dealing with 3rd party vendors.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:12:35 AM PST
SMH says:
Thanks for the advice.

Everyone also keeps telling me I should get a SSD hard drive because of speed. Really, if I opt not to do this, will I really notice much of a difference?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions