Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Why is Steam suddenly bad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2015 11:05:20 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
All of this junk just wrecks PC gaming. Like Assassin's Creed...I've got it with activation from Steam, Uplay, AND it installs this "punk buster" thing without my permission.

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 10:57:54 AM PDT
J. Palmer says:
Steam gets to advertise all these millions of steam accounts that people where forced to get as advertising fodder. Sell threw us we have millions of users!

Every one has their reasons for loving it or hating it for me its ownership rights and the forced wall or middle man approach to play the game. Steam has the right to do what ever they want to me after i buy a steam game. Like get into my computer, tell me when I can play or when I cant, when I have to update, hit me with as many advertisements as they like. I pay 60 bucks for a game and I have zero rights. If I cant play my game because steams down tuff luck for me. My only power is to not buy a steam game.

I think I posted on here years go, I never liked the title to this thread the original poster only suddenly noticed at the time a lot of people dont like steam and now this is the official amazon steam thread. On a side note as im writing this im looking at Fallout New Vegas & Ultimate edition pc version here on amazon and no where is there any indication its a steam game, and it is. Only way you would know is reading the questions people asked on the ultimate edition or got o bethseda site. Unless i missed the fine fine print on that page.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2015 8:49:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 30, 2015 11:04:08 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Nope....Games for Windows Live still works, and even if it didn't, that would have nothing to do with why Steam doesn't allow you to restore from backups.

This problem is 100% Steam's. They need to allow you to restore from backups and have control over whether something gets updated or not.

Posted on Mar 28, 2015 8:35:55 PM PDT
Because of the way the GfWL game was run and abandoned, your backup is not functional anymore. That's less a Steam issue and more a GfWL issue.

Posted on Mar 27, 2015 10:24:24 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Ugh, I know a few years ago someone on here was talking about how bad it is that if a Steam game needs an update, it'll pull down the entire game over the Internet rather than letting you use the local copy. That had been my experience too, but someone on here was claiming that wasn't the case.

Well, I just ran into a situation where it matters again...

Dead Rising 2/Off the Record just got patched from Games for Windows Live to Steamworks, but the Steamworks version has all kinds of bugs, including no way currently to import save games, and no time frame on when that's coming.

Because I have backups of my games, I'm like okay, I'll just delete it and reinstall the version prior to the Steamworks patch...

But it doesn't let you. It starts, and then almost immediately switches from installing from disc to redownloading the entire 6GB game.

It almost makes backups worthless, if it won't actually use them if it needs an update, and not everyone is always in a position to redownload ever larger games over the Internet... It SHOULD let you install from disc, then patch up if you want to.

There's also no real setting for disabling updates, and I'd been under the impression there was. It should ASK when you install from a backup but this doesn't even have a setting to stop updates when it's installed. The drop down menu in properties I'd assumed had that option, but it only gives you the option to wait to update until you launch it.

The only other thing I see is a system-wide setting to restrict when Steam can download, and how much bandwidth it can use. You could set that for some weird time I guess to sort of stop updates, BUT that setting isn't respected when installing a game...I had it set to only install from 12am-1am, tried to restore from a backup, but no good, it still started downloading the whole game.

Sooooo my 12GB of DR2 backups (and probably hundreds of GB of other games) are completely worthless. A functional game is sitting there, but Steam will not install from it...

Posted on Feb 16, 2015 12:28:05 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 16, 2015 4:32:57 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 8:22:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2015 8:31:01 PM PST
R. J. Satori says:
All the MMOs I've got handy can be migrated either by simply moving the files (and maybe copying a couple of registry entries) or by doing an install from the installer (on disk or downloaded) and then copying the updated files to the install directory. You may be out of luck if you didn't hang on to the installer that sets up your registry and other links, but a manual registry migration is still worth trying if your bandwidth is precious.

Granted, I can't speak for the situation with MMOs purchased and installed through Steam. That may or may not involve more hassle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 9:47:45 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I actually intentionally bought the disc version in the hopes of making installs easier, except these things get patched so much that it's probably basically downloading an entirely different game from what's on the disc LOL.

I did notice in the Battle.net client under Settings/Game Install there's a "scan for games" button. I don't know what it does but that SOUNDS like maybe it would scan the default install directory for games? Or else...?

Besides MMOs, so far Xbox One games are the worst for patches. I'm not sure if there's an intentional (and weird?) design decision, or there's some massive bug, or what, but most One games I've installed then go out and download like 20-40GB on top of the disc install! I literally had my One just installing updates for days straight at one point LOL. The PS4 seems normal, like had a 15MB patch for some game. I was thinking maybe it was an issue with One launch games, like maybe they weren't finished so were downloading basically an entirely different game, but I heard about some recent game doing the same thing.

Regarding Grim Fandango remastered, it's available for pre-order on Gog.com!

http://www.gog.com/game/grim_fandango_remastered

I never played it either, though from the time it launched people always act like it's the best of those types of games.

And sweeeeet, while looking for that link, I saw they just posted the Double Dragon trilogy!

http://www.gog.com/game/double_dragon_trilogy

Back in the day I loooved those. Honestly I'm guessing it'll be one of those things where I go "ugh, what was I thinking", but for $4.79 for all three, why not?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 9:16:41 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
I'm excited for that. I have the game on disk, but never ended up finishing it. I'm planning on getting it for the PS4.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 9:16:03 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
No - at least with WoW - you'd have to actually install the game on the other PC.

Until you guys started talking about Origin making it possible, I had assumed that Steam was the only type of install that could be completely swapped like that.

I'm guessing Star Wars would be the same as WoW regarding not being able to simply swap it over without reinstall.

I'm assuming you got the straight digital version and can't just disk-install on the other PC?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2015 6:54:18 PM PST
H. Le says:
*Off-Topic*

For the PC gamers who are tracking this thread - especially the old school gamers - you may be pleased to know that Grim Fandango Remastered will be released on 1/27/15.

I already own this game on disc, but will most likely buy the digital version as well based on the reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2015 6:47:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2015 6:55:39 PM PST
H. Le says:
The biggest issues I have with Starcraft 2 and battle.net DRM are:

1) In offline mode, you are forced to play as a "guest" in the game that you paid for on your own PC.

2) Unlike Steam, you are forced to log in to battle.net once every 30 days.

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 7:49:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2015 7:50:11 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Err...I should ask about Battle.net stuff too. I kinda sorta got the two new Starcraft games on black friday a year ago 'cause Starcraft 1 is one of my favorite games ever.

Battle.net has been down every time I've logged in this month...

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 7:32:17 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Another question...is it possible to move any MMOs like that? I haven't played it yet but I've kept Star Wars installed on my main PC, but it would be awesome to be able to just copy the install to another PC rather than having to redownload 26GB!

I should have put it on my mechanical hard drive...it's the one game I installed on my SSD, and I'm paranoid about it using up writes every time I launch the launcher and it spends minutes "reorganizing" data lol. It's like duuude what are you doing, why does this need to be reorganized at all, much less every time I launch it ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2015 7:54:21 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I haven't used UPlay for PC, so it sounds like downloading and installing are two separate things there? You do the downloading step but not install it and then can copy that over...

Thanks! That's good to know, given sooner or later I'll probably end up with something through Uplay.

Oh, dumb question, what happens if you have a Uplay game that you've bought through Steam? Layers upon layers of DRM LOL Not sure how that effects backing stuff up.

I just remembered another reason I need to be able to back stuff up...I can download unlimited stuff basically at home, but I often play games in locations where I can't. I can maybe handle some updates, can activate, but downloading GB after GB is not a good idea.

Hmm...I guess I can just go ahead and copy my Origin folders then. Maybe even see if zipping them will save some space.

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 7:19:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2015 7:22:59 AM PST
Copy the game folder to an external drive. When you need to install the game, copy the game folder to your games directory. (In your case, D:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/.) Origin will read the game folder from there. If there are pending updates for the game, Origin will download the updates. For uPlay, designate a directory for temp game installers. (Example, D:/Games/uPlay Temp Installers/) After downloading a game on uPlay, look for the game file in that directory. The folder will have a number as the folder name. For example, the temp installer for Driver: San Francisco will be labeled as "13". Back this folder up before installing the game; when a game is installed, the temp folder will go away. To reinstall, copy the folder to the temp installer location and uPlay should recognize it from there. Then install your game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2015 6:56:44 AM PST
WolfPup says:
You copy them back, launch Origin, and it just automagically figures out that the game you copied back is installed?

How does uPlay work? Do these temp game installers get automatically saved somewhere, or...?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2015 6:51:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2015 6:54:20 AM PST
WolfPup says:
How do you do that? Like I've got some free Origin stuff installed under (in my case):

D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\[Name of game]

Do I copy the [Name of game] folder to an external drive, then to restore it on another PC install Origin, then...copy it back? Does the Origin client then go "oh, okay" and set it up or something?

EDIT: Just remembered I got Dead Space 3 on there, which I do actually want to play, so it would be nice to be able to back it up!

Posted on Jan 8, 2015 6:31:49 AM PST
You can back up the game folders to another drive. When you need to reinstall, just copy the backed up folders to the installed game directories for Steam and Origin and let them do the rest. Steam and Origin will automatically recognize the needed files and will just install the games. For uPlay, back up the temp game installers (the ones you create after downloading and before installing). Alternatively, you can just run the games from the backed-up game folders by running the .exe application files or creating desktop, Steam, or Origin shortcuts for them. (You still need to have uPlay running.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2015 5:32:47 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
One reason for backing up is so that you don't have to re-download. It can save time and, for some people who are bandwidth capped, money.

Also, there's always the outside chance that Steam suddenly up and goes away - at least with the back-up, you'll have the games. Sure, you won't be able to activate them with a non-existant Steam - but, Steam is such a huge service with so many different people invested in it that I believe even if it went down AND (for some reason) no other company bought it and continued with it - the PC community would find a workaround pretty quickly to allow you to activate your games.

In my case, I have only backed up one game - my first with Steam, Half-Life 2. Primarily, it was the game that "forced" me to use Steam and I didn't like the idea of not having a physical copy - so I made one with the back up. Still have those HL2 DVD-ROMS laying around somewhere...

Now, I have 100's of games on Steam - so backing up is less of a viable option. I keep thinking someday I'll buy a 2-5TB "Steam Drive" and put everything on it - but right now I just have a 1TB drive that could never hold all the "Hey, this 12GB game is only $1 today!!!" sale purchases I've made over the past nearly 10 years with the service.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2015 3:53:35 AM PST
Mark Lahren says:
WolfPup, I guess I've never understood the reason for backing up a game from Steam. I mean, if you need to reinstall a game later, or on a different system, wouldn't it be easier just to re-download it from Steam? Either way, you still need to activate it on Steam anyway, right? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I've only been (grudgingly) using Steam for a few years, and haven't bought many games from them, so I'm kind of a novice in this area.

I too dislike the activation aspect of their service, but I must say that for the most part it's been working pretty well for me. The two times in the last few years it didn't let me play any of my games, online or offline, for no given reason (just a vague "We're sorry, your games are unavailable at this time") really ticked me off though, because I had paid for those games, and yet could not play them when I wanted to, through no fault of my own. Granted, it was only for about one day each time, and I had other games that did not require a third party to run that I could play, but I felt cheated because I had given them my money, and was denied use of the product. I don't think that having a backup would have helped me in those cases either, since it would have wanted to contact Steam in the same way that the version on my hard drive would have, since it is an exact copy of it.

But like I said, this is very rare. And yet it stands as one more reason why giving over control of my games to another party really bothers me, and it is the primary reason why I continue to pray that places like GOG continue to grow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2015 4:28:03 PM PST
Origin does not have a backup system, but I manually back up my Origin game folders to an external hard drive. Other than that, Origin is great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2015 12:15:56 PM PST
WolfPup says:
What do you mean by not reliable? In terms of being able to log in it works for me, though the backup function is flakey at least sometimes. (Found at least 2 games it doesn't work for.)

The whole concept of it is bad of course!

Origin doesn't even have a way to back stuff up at all :-/

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 12:07:17 PM PST
While Steam has seemed to improve from a disastrous 2014, it is still a long way from being as reliable as Origin. And this is coming from a person who spent about $60 for each of several EA games from the last two years (Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Titanfall, Dragon Age: Inquisition). So yeah, EA is getting most of my money for games and not Valve. :P

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2015 9:35:45 AM PST
D. Neckels says:
You are wrong. Steam is bad. Very bad. And this is not a review from a competitor because there are no competitors. Steam is a monopoly on PC video games.
Just wait till you cross them and the 86 your entire gaming catalogue. Then we can speak.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 170 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  262
Total posts:  4240
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2009
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions