Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Building a Budget Rig - CPU Help

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 29, 2012 10:30:46 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 29, 2012 10:31:17 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 12:51:28 PM PST
H. Le says:
Yes, you can use AMD mobo/CPU with Nvidia GPU.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 11:17:07 AM PST
SMH says:
Thanks. The thread has moved topics a bit as I've already bought my processor. I don't have a set budget but I'm trying to go as inexpensive as possible while still being able to use it for gaming.

Here's what I have bought to this point:

Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case - $38.99
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom - $71.37 w/$25 rebate
CPU: AMD FX 4100 4-Core Processor, 3.6 4 Socket AM3+ FD4100WMGUSBX - $79.99
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-B10-212P-G1) - $25.63
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $69.99 w/$10 rebate
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR - $29.99

$280.96 so far after rebates.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 9:51:22 AM PST
G. Yang says:
How much are you looking to spend Dave? That will help us give you a good estimation. At any rate, as people have said the quad cores now-a-days are not that expensive (certainly not the most expensive part on your computer). Ivy bridge i5 3570k is only like 169.99 @ MicroCenter if you have one around you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 6:31:59 AM PST
SMH says:
Thanks for the info...can I have an AMD mobo/processor and still use an Nvidia GPU? For some reason in my mind I've had GeForce attached to Intel and Radeon attached to AMD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 1:46:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 2:15:33 AM PST
H. Le says:
My guess on why you don't see too many Customer review for the card is that, when it comes to more recent Radeon graphics cards, many opted for 2GB VRAM instead of 1GB VRAM.

In case you miss it, the card is professionally reviewed here with favorable results: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2048/1/

AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon cannot beat Nvidia GeForce in pure performance, but in terms of energy consumption and heat output, Radeon is generally better. IMO, it is also slightly better when it comes to price vs. performance (XFX is also a good brand name with a 2 years limited warranty).

Although I've always used Nvidia, I bought my first AMD cards about 6 months ago (Radeon 7950) and I am very happy with it. However, as many have brought up in other discussions, I also find the software driver compatibility is not as good as Nvidia's, so make sure to update your driver regularly. Also be sure to register your card to take advantage of the warranty in case you have a problem down the road.

PS. In case you are not familiar with rebates, they are cool, but only if you remember to do it - and do it right (follow instruction carefully - the manufacturer is counting on you to either forget or mess up). Also, don't expect to see a check for about 2 months.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:33:54 PM PST
SMH says:
XFX AMD Radeon HD 7850 Core Edition Video Card

Can't find much in the way of reviews on this card. I can get it for 149.99 after rebate on moc.tceridregit. Assuming it is compatible (I believe it is based on my research, do any of you know anything about this brand, card, etc?

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 3:16:15 PM PST
SMH says:
I am at the point where I'm ready to buy a GPU. Is there anything I need to make sure I pay attention to to make sure it's compatible with my other components?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:12:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 12:16:05 PM PST
i just building my mom a PC and so far the budget is it $330 including A10-5800K cpu, asrock extreme 6 board, 212 evo heatsink, storm enforcer casing, and optic drive. she doesn't need an hdd, she'll be using the same ssd i installed, so that cuts much of the cost out. all she needs is ram and a power supply since the apu has an integreated gpu. but i'm waiting on a decent modular one, cause screw messy cabling. all together this will be well less than a $450 machine. the cheapest I've ever built. this isn't for gaming purposes, this is strictly a pc that'll be faster than what she currently has, which is a dimension 5150 with a Pentium d dual-core @ 2.8ghz. so yeah, it'll work just fine for her.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:49:18 PM PST
i only find an SSD necessary if you plan on running only the OS off of it while using a 2ndary HDD as a directory for pics, profiles, programs, files, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:58:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:59:10 PM PST
SMH says:
SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card

I think this one.

I already bought the fx 4100 processor.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:57:26 PM PST
What graphics card are you getting?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:53:13 PM PST
Get the AMD FX 6100 6-Core Processor, 3.3 6 Socket AM3+ - FD6100WMGUSBX. Its $104.99 however it is a 6 core processor. I have the fx 6200 which is clock a tad higher at 4.2ghz, at $30 more though it would be just as good to just get a fx 6100 and overclock it to 4.2ghz. I am very happy with to power of the processor. Its no core i7 but it give a close match to the i5.....the i5 is faster at gaming benchmarks however the fx6200 does preform better at multitasking. Hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:57:54 AM PST
SMH says:
I think that is what I'm going to do. I have never built a computer before anyway, so it isn't like I have a basis of comparison to know how much faster loading times will be with SSD vs. traditional. Ignorance is bliss in this case.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:51:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:07:09 AM PST
H. Le says:
Considering that you want to build "budget rig", you should get a SSD only if you think the latest rage in tech - and the improvement that it provides - is worth the difference in terms of dollars vs. values.

IMO, you should stick with eSATA HDD for the best bang for your buck.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:12:35 AM PST
SMH says:
Thanks for the advice.

Everyone also keeps telling me I should get a SSD hard drive because of speed. Really, if I opt not to do this, will I really notice much of a difference?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:05:45 PM PST
H. Le says:
newegg.com is reliable - and they have good tech support. Also check out this clip from newegg if this is your 1st built: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

TigerDirect.com is another one that I've good experience with in the past. However, their shipping cost can be pricey (they ship from Florida). Hopefully, they've improved this by now.

Fry's Electronics usually have some very good deals - either in store or online - but their tech support and Customer service is dodgy.

Amazon also have some excellent deals around Black Friday, especially when 3rd party market vendors begin to compete with one another (this how I got most of my components for my last PC built) - but same issues as Fry's when you are dealing with 3rd party vendors.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:40:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 1:41:00 PM PST
black friday deals? its sporadic. i personally use ggewen and ziibrepus [mirrored since you know who doesn't like it] when it comes to that time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:37:22 AM PST
SMH says:
Excellent...I picked it up!

On another note, anyone know of a good place to find black friday deals on pc components? It would be sweet to find some discounts on some of what I need.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:42:09 PM PDT
H. Le says:
Dave,

I have the Cooler Master CPU cooler linked to in your post. It is an excellent cooler - especially when you consider the price. If you want to, there is the option to add a 2nd fan (not included) to this cooler to make it even better.

Also, if you have the Antec case listed above, this cooler will fit in that case (with a listed 8.1" width, you have plenty of room - my case is narrower)

BTW, if you are unclear with the printed instruction for installation, check out Tom's hardware website, there's much better instruction there with video included.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:22:11 PM PDT
SMH says:
I don't know how much room. If you look back a few posts I list my case.

I read that Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-B10-212P-G1) can fit in my case. Will this be ok?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 3:24:27 PM PDT
depends on how much room you'll have in your case, because they can be of massive size. i'm talking HUGE.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 1:18:40 PM PDT
SMH says:
Recommendations?

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:48:54 PM PDT
you don't need a liquid cooler to overclock. a decent heatsink and fan can do justice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:26:50 AM PDT
SMH says:
Yeah...I was considering buying this:

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler System
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions