Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

Moving Windows 7

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2012 7:04:43 PM PDT
Anyone know of a simple way to move my OS to a new computer (not a new HDD) I have no ability to make a DvD, no Windows 7 DvD, but i have a valid Windows 7 Premium CD key. Thanks in advance!

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 3:39:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2012 3:46:53 PM PDT
I would recommend uninstalling most of your hardware drivers before removing it from your current machine (video card, chipset drivers etc.) Depending on if it's a retail product key or OEM, you might be prompted to activate again. You might even need to do this over the phone (it's an automated process...enter the Product Key and you're done.)

You may want to consider getting yourself a cheap DVD burner, and download the Windows 7 .iso. That way you can repair or do clean installs in the future (best solution)

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 6:53:38 PM PDT
This article might help:

http://arstechnica.com/features/2012/06/blowing-away-bloatware-a-guide-to-reinstalling-windows-on-a-new-pc/

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:25:10 PM PDT
I eventually found out what I needed to do.

I downloaded an .iso image of the Windows 7 Version I have an activation key for, Installed an old copy of Vista I had on my new computer, used that to run PowerISO, mount the iso on that, installed windows 7, used the key and was good to go.

What a pain in the tail that whole process was!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:30:23 PM PST
B. slowe says:
Nayoya Acupressure Mat for Back Pain Relief

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:43:59 PM PST
Sudeley says:
That would be a way to do it, but I have had issues with windows crashing on me just upgrading my cpu/motherboard/gpu. But its worth a try and if it does not work out it should be still good to put it back in the original pc and just back up your data and do a fresh install on the new pc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:00:08 PM PST
I ended up doing a Fresh Install.

It's been working wonderfully ever since.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions