Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

alienware18x or asus g74?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 128 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 27, 2012 8:34:51 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
There's a ridiculous amount of videos on building your own notebook, as well. That seems like it would be more educational for you, since the typed word in the English language is failure.

Just remember, you have to actually OPEN your eyes:

http://www.flixya.com/video/1332774/Build-Your-Own-Laptop

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:29:11 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
Still...nothing.

You're devoid of intelligent advice or comments in the notebook realm.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:27:00 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Did you actually read your own link?

Geez, you're paranoid, you insult everyone on here, you can't back up your own random claims, and then you post something that backs up what everyone else is saying, all the while insulting me. Just amazing.

What a quality human being!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:26:10 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
Are you really in the dark to this extent? If so, you should exit the PC Forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:25:11 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
For fun:

http://computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-laptop

Let me know when you're done trolling, and then actually grow a spine by admitting you made false and ignorant statements.

You have absolutely NOTHING, nor have you demonstrated any intelligent knowledge in this matter. Reciting "huh" numerous times says it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:19:41 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Are you for real?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:19:13 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
Indeed, round up the downvote posse and different online handles.

I'm not going anywhere, rest assured.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:15:23 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Just amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:11:40 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
There's no "huh", but moreso "why on earth would anybody DO that?" I shudder to think of the motives or the desire, but then again I don't care to know.

A market for barebone notebook and components exist in our world. Much like the desktop side, you can build your own notebook. Why do a plethora of online outlet and brick and mortar stores sell separate notebook components that can be pieced together to make a complete system? Because they can be upgraded and built from scratch from the ground up, much like a PC tower.

You're still wrong, nothing changes that fact.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 7:59:43 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
<<<Thieving Magpie says:
You and your schizophrenic online handles>>>

Huh?

<<<will have to get over the fact that you were wrong. I've already demonstrated with numerous links and documentation.>>>

No, you haven't. You randomly insult people, and clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You just like being "right".

<<<Keep bumping the thread until kingdom come>>>

I didn't "bump the thread".

<<<it still won't change the erroneous claims prior.>>>

Dude...don't you think you should actually demonstrate your claim rather than insulting people?

<<<Come to grips with this instead of hiding behind different online personas.>>>

Huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 7:56:01 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
You and your schizophrenic online handles will have to get over the fact that you were wrong. I've already demonstrated with numerous links and documentation.

Keep bumping the thread until kingdom come, it still won't change the erroneous claims prior. Come to grips with this instead of hiding behind different online personas. That just makes it even more pathetic, if possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 6:16:23 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Care to, I don't know, ACTUALLY DEMONSTRATE YOUR CLAIM?

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 4:07:36 AM PDT
buy a falcon... http://www.falcon-nw.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 12:46:16 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
You and your "cohort" can peruse this:

http://www.barebonekit.net/search.aspx?s=Laptop+kit

You can buy parts, empty shells, kits, and various other hardware components for a notebook. This is not some isolated site, as you can do the same from various other vendors such as: avadirect, tigerdirect, newegg, microcenter, and a myriad of stores. Buying barebones, plus parts, is absolutely nothing new - as I stated earlier. As to whether you want to do such and have the background to accomplish it, that's another matter entirely. I think you're better off sticking to the pretty multi-colored light show of Alienware, and pretending it's the best thing since sliced bread.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 12:16:43 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
Since you're incapable of reading a thread in it's entirety, I'll be a sport and hit the rewind button for you. You can thank me later.

ThievingMagpie says:

" Reseller Ratings?

Dell: 0.94 / 10 (with 1,414 reviews) Alienware: 0.63 / 10 (with 1,920 reviews)

Where there's smoke, there's fire. That's a hell of a lot of smoke, huh? Besides, that's just the tip of the iceberg. One quick look around the internet, you'll find hit after hit of negative feedback, horror stories, and deplorable business practices.

Here: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Dell Here: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Alienware"

Did people just magically conjure up faulty hardware, sloppy configurations, and abysmal quality control stories for the sake of it? Nah, the snake oil appeal generally lost momentum and allure many years ago. But please, keep offering the kool-aid.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 12:09:17 AM PDT
AmbientGreen says:
And you're on the Pup's nuts (big surprise), resurrecting a dead thread and singing the praises of Dell and Alienware. That's a real shocker.

He stated that you can't build a custom notebook, part-by-part, of one's own accord. Sorry chap, but that IS patently FALSE. Let me know when reality dials YOU back into orbit. Otherwise, you're just drumming up dead air.

Anytime you want to compare your overpriced Dellienware to my new laptop, I'd be more than happy to hold your hand for a stroll down price vs. performance lane.

Congratulations, you're efficient at getting ripped off? Nice trait.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 2:50:51 PM PDT
K. K says:
You built a desktop, not a notebook. You are just confusing the point.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 2:49:23 PM PDT
K. K says:
It's patently true. You cannot build a quality notebook, period. Not unless you want it to be a desktop.

Do you think that these high end gaming notebooks are just assembled from off the shelf motherboards, cases, cooling components and the like? They are designed to maximize features in a very specific design chassis with a fixed set of supported components. Nothing like building a notebook.

The only "custom" notebook anyone is going to build is from a notebook manufacturer by selecting the custom options they have available. Good luck walking into Fry's and buying the parts to build, it ain't going to happen.

You basically don't operate in the same reality as normal people, not even those of us who have years of OEM design experience. But that's ok you aren't really trying to educate anyone you are just trying to sound like you know more than anyone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 2:47:23 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
What kind of GPU do you have? And what if any issues have you had getting AMD or Nvidia's normal (AMD.com/Nvidia.com) drivers installed?

I went with a G74 this time, but I may be buying another system this year for various reasons, and the new M17 or 18x will definitely be one I'll be considering.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 2:39:45 PM PDT
K. K says:
Wow, it's amazing how many uninformed opinions there are here about systems that these people have never actually used or seen.

First off Alienware is not a "glorified" dell. Alienware operates their own design facilities aside from Dell's. Dell support (which happens to be the best in the business comparatively) does support the Alienware machines. That has nothing to do with design or manufacture.

As for the Asus vs. Alienware comparison. Well they are both high quality boxes. I personally have an Alienware M17x r3 and it's by far the best notebook I've personally ever used and I've used many from HP, Dell Acer, lenovo etc. It's a fantastic notebook and has given me zero problems in the year I've had it.

An associate had the comparable Asus notebook and it was also a solid box but lacking in features compared to the AW. HDMI in, super cool. More ports and better performance by a small margine (the AW). But the Asus box is sold and would also be a good purchase. I think the Alienware gaming rigs are second to none in terms of price, performance and features. I would also say that Asus is a close second.

In regards to the poster about the Alienware system needing returned etc etc. All companies have products that go bad in the field. For every 1 asus story there's an Alienware story. I can tell you that when I called support for a question on the lighting and also on the switchable graphics I was on hold for no more than a couple of minutes each time. Things are quite different now than what they might have been back in 2006.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 7:04:23 AM PDT
Yep. Consoles never get ports. Ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 6:44:50 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
It's got higher end hardware than the G74 does. It's competitively priced for what it is.

My G74's held up well in terms of cooling though.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 10:30:14 AM PDT
I would recommend a g74 having one myself....your paying for the alienware name if you spend money on a alienware

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 10:16:01 AM PDT
Just buy a console or better yet, a portable one. You don't have to worry about receiving ports of games, because you're at the top of the food chain for company profits. Unless, ofcourse, you hope to only play Blizzard games for the rest of your PC gaming time, otherwise the console is far superior.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 7:46:33 AM PDT
... Necro much? I think that part of the discussion was already beaten to death.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (672 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  128
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions