Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

alienware18x or asus g74?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 128 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 4:35:17 AM PST
You spelled months wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 7:20:25 AM PST
WolfPup says:
You can't build notebooks though, which is my point.

I don't even really think you can do much better in price building a desktop-it's never been the case in my experience. When I've done it, it's mostly just for the fun of doing it. I've been happy with my own systems, and happy with Dells, and I like a lot of HP's systems now too.

<<<A. Meyer says:
I have never seen a Dell Desktop last longer than 2 years. >>>

I've never seen one that hasn't lasted indefinitely. I've got dozens of Dell systems around here, with many of them under 100% load 24/7, and to date none of them have ever been replaced save for when they're just too old to be useful.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 12:43:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 12:44:00 PM PST
The company where I work uses dells. Though not as efficient as I'd hope the brand new dell vostro slim models do seem to be powerful. H61 mobo with a radeon 6450 graphics card. Intel core i3 2100, with 4gigs of ram.

Information found using cpu-z.

Doesn't sound bad for specs like that.

With that said, the company has a ton of old dells that use pentium chipsets, with 216 mbs of ram per ram chips. (512 total)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 12:49:14 PM PST
WolfPup says:
Ugh, those things would be slower than dirt LOL

I guess still sort of useable for XP, but...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 1:29:51 PM PST
Luffy says:
how many Dell desktops have you seen? In our office we use dell desktops exclusively. roughly 100 desktops which are almost on all the time and we use them for roughly 5 yrs before it gets replaced. The replaced machines normally are still fully functional which gets donated or sold very cheap.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 2:21:23 PM PST
Luffy says:
Thing to note about alienware, I have a m17R3, I cannot upgrade my videocard driver with the latest drivers from nvidia without hacking it. The driver supported by alienware will normally be an older version and you will be at the mercy of dell when the driver gets updated.

Customer service is not at all bad as people here tend to say. I've had an issue with my machine's motherboard and the rep I talked to was pretty knowledgeable, he was able to pinpoint the potential issue and had someone come in and replace my board.

My advice, if you can find what you need from an ASUS machine for less money then go for it. ultimately they revolve around the same hardware, just slightly different configuration.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 4:23:49 PM PST
WolfPup says:
Yup. Same deal with me. Some of them are run 24/7 under 100% load, and they're all fine, and most of them are sort of the bad models even.

Last time I had anything go wrong with a Dell desktop was a few years after I bought a 2004 model, it had 1 of it's sticks of RAM die. I bought two more for $40, and doubled my RAM, and was good to go.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 4:25:18 PM PST
WolfPup says:
I've heard SUCH mixed things about it with that dumb Optimus. I intentionally bought a G74 over an M17x-R3 ONLY because of the Optimus/driver issue. yet some people claim their newest drivers go on fine (though I wouldn't want Optimus regardless).

There's apparently a hacked BIOS that lets you choose which video to use...why that's not just built in to the system....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 5:16:33 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
WolfPup says:
"You can't build notebooks though, which is my point."

What on earth are you talking about? Please stop spreading misinformation.

Where to Start

"The first step is selecting a bare-bones system, also known as a white box. A white box is an empty shell that includes a chassis, display, keyboard, the motherboard, a fan, CPU heatsink, tons of screws, and essential drivers. For our build, we chose the OCZ DIY 15-inch Gaming Notebook. We looked specifically for a white box that could support a discrete graphics card so we could game on our home-built model. Note: As of press time, no white boxes supported Intel's Centrino 2 platform, but OCZ offers a 17-inch system for AMD processors.

After you've received your white box, you can start adding components. But you'll find some constraints on those choices based on the type of kit you've chosen.

Processor. Your options are dictated by your DIY kit's motherboard. Our motherboard supported a few Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs, including the 2.6-GHz T9500, 2.5-GHz T9300, 2.4-GHz T8300, and 2.1-GHz T8100. We opted for the mid-range T9300 chip clocked at 2.5 GHz because we wanted very good performance without spending a fortune.

Hard Drive. If you're willing to sacrifice some speed in favor of additional storage, you can opt for a drive like the 320GB, 5,400-rpm Western Digital Scorpio. But since our DIY kit also supported higher-performing serial ATA (SATA) hard drives, we decided to go with a 200GB, 7,200-rpm Seagate Momentus. SATA hard drives are faster than the older parallel ATA drives.

Wi-Fi. Buying a wireless card can be tricky, depending on your kit. We scoured the Web for two models that OCZ recommends for use inside this bare-bones system. We knew that we wanted our notebook to support both 802.11n and 802.11b/g networks. That narrowed the field to the Intel Wireless 4965AGN Next-Gen Wireless Mini-PCI card, which operates in both the 2.4-GHz and 5-GHz spectrum for optimal performance and less interference than cards that support 802.11b/g only.

RAM. We recommend adding as much RAM as your system can handle to increase its multitasking efficiency and performance. Bonus: OEM-purchased RAM is very affordable. We added two 1GB of Corsair ValueSelect 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM with 667-MHz frontside bus speed, which is plenty of system memory for a notebook running Windows Vista.

Cooling

Our kit came with the appropriate fans and heat sinks. Make sure yours does, too; they should be tailor-made for the chassis. Fan installation is a no-brainer: Align its screw holes with the motherboard and screw it in. Then plug the white power connector into your motherboard's female power slot.

Next, you'll be applying the heat sink to your CPU, which is close to the fan you just installed. This long, copper bar will prevent your computer from overheating, and it should have special thermal grease on the bottom to cool the top of your CPU. This is essential, and if you don't have any on hand, we suggest buying some (Arctic Silver is available at RadioShack for about $7) and applying a small droplet to the top of your CPU. Be careful not to get any in your eyes.

Lower the heat sink into your computer, aligning it appropriately on top of your CPU and near the fan. You'll see that it fits like a puzzle piece, but it may take some finagling to get just right. Now replace and tighten the four screws around the CPU to ensure it stays put.

Wireless Card

Here is the time-sink in this project. To install this little chip, you'll need to slip it into a metal slot that looks similar to the one you put the RAM in, but it's a bit smaller.

First you need to attach three wires to the three small heads on the wireless card. The heads that need to be aligned are gold, about the size of a pinhead, and the wires themselves are a bit stiff, so they bounce off easily if you aren't careful.

Gently slide the card into its slot while paying close attention to those wire connections. Screw the large lid back to the underside of the notebook.

Installing the Operating System

We chose Windows Vista Home Premium because it supports eSATA hard drives from the first boot. Note that if you want Windows XP Professional, you'll need to download the right drivers for your SATA drive and provide them during installation, otherwise Windows won't recognize your hard drive during the initial setup.

To install Windows Vista, simply place the disc into your optical drive, and enter the BIOS (F2 at boot on our system) and change the system to boot from your optical drive first.

Once Windows Vista has installed, you'll need to run the CD that came with your white box. This will install all the appropriate chipset drivers for your motherboard, video card, and peripheral ports.

Customize It

Now that the system is built, it's time to customize how it looks. Head over to skinit.com to create a unique exterior. You can choose from a host of predesigned appliques, or create your own by uploading an image from your computer or selecting one from the Web. Most appliques cost around $34.95, and you'll want to make sure you select a 15.4-inch system for your skin. After payment, Skinit will mail your adhesive applique in a plastic tube. Apply this to the lid of your notebook and you'll be ready to show it off.

Our custom-built system offered good performance scores compared with the mainstream notebook average. It got 3 hours and 40 minutes of battery life and saw a PCMark Vantage score of 3,613-almost 500 points above the average.

Because our system came with a mid-range Nvidia GeForce 8600M discrete graphics card, it notched an above-average 3DMark06 score (3,445 vs. 3,088). It also raked in an average of 36 frames per second on F.E.A.R. on autodetect, and 17 fps set to maximum. Playing Call of Duty 4, we were able to average a decent 26.5 fps with the graphics set to optimal and the resolution at its native 1400 x 900 setting.

Unfortunately, our Intel wireless card delivered lackluster performance. We saw an average of 7.9 Mbps at a distance of 15 feet from the router, and 7.9 Mbps at 50 feet. That's terrible compared with the average of 18.0 Mbps and 15.0 Mbps, respectively; our white box's antenna quality or placement may to be blame, rather than the card.

Conclusion

Building a laptop from (almost) scratch is a techie's heaven. Our total cost was $1,482.98. That's not cheap, but we enjoyed playing with the guts of a system. If you want to maintain a manufacturer's warranty, get their tech support, and have your laptop's components and software spoon-fed to you, then this isn't the route to take. But we had a blast building our own notebook."

Linky: http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/tips/build-your-own-notebook.aspx

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 4:48:35 AM PST
They are slow as heck. I mean I am even willing to tear those down and clean them as well as give them a few upgrades.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 5:25:52 AM PST
Sadly, I have, we got 5 year old desktops here and they wont change them till they officially die. Some are on their last legs. I'll keep mine working and running efficiently now that I know how to upgrade a desktop.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 9:18:14 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 22, 2012 6:42:54 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 9:25:12 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Yikes, I missed that he'd gone on more about these supposed notebooks lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 9:26:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 9:29:43 AM PST
Yet, you're the one with the immaturity to attack him online. Who's the bigger person?

Also, he posted that off a net forum from a group that custom built a laptop to prove a point.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 9:37:58 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 22, 2012 6:43:00 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 9:41:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 9:42:28 AM PST
And yet again, personal attacks big man. Keep hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

I'm not the one that's acting like a toddler. Good day.

-Ignored. I have better things to read than garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 9:49:21 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 20, 2012 10:30:44 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 9:52:26 AM PST
Now I'm ignoring half of the posters in this thread. I can see why relatively no one posts in the PC game forum anymore. Too many negative people here.

Back to the VGF with the cool kids I go.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 9:57:36 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 20, 2012 10:30:44 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 10:05:58 AM PST
In reply to your post on Feb 22, 2012 9:57:36 AM PST
A Customer says:
[You are ignoring this customer's posts. Show post anyway.]

:D

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 10:46:23 AM PST
V3 Gaming - Avenger model. These guys will work with you, explain the pros and cons of each model, the best way to tweak them for your gaming needs, they ship your PC and all manuals, contents, promotions get packed into a folder with your spec-list, warranties, etc.. I've built my own machines for 10 yrs but now the prices are so low you can get one ordered, let THEM worry about assembly, and just enjoy the final product. Check these guys out, way cheaper than alienware and they're a small shop so your customer service is personal and direct.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 10:47:53 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I just checked the prices, and they don't look cheaper than Dell at all from what I can see. Might be good, but this was asking about notebooks...

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 10:54:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2012 10:54:25 AM PST
I like that A. Customer had to post negatively about me in the VGF and failed.

Bravo, Sir. Bravo.

And your facts were off, if you happen to read this. ;)

Anyway...

I've never heard of V3 gaming, but might have to check them out. I do like digital storm's builds. I almost got a laptop from them. Everyone can find pros/cons of most system builders out there. Putting it together yourself does give you some experience though on how to do upgrades and your own tech support.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 10:55:19 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 20, 2012 10:30:45 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 10:57:07 AM PST
Ya, I noticed that part too late, sorry. Manly men game on desktops, so....there's that.
ok Im out
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  128
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions