Customer Discussions > PC Game forum

how many games have you lost the keycodes to?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2009 9:21:20 PM PDT
L. T. Hagen says:
tried to play some games over the weekend, found out that I had lost my NWN 2 Key, Civ 4 discs and don't know what happened to CoH ?

How many games have you lost?

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 12:43:03 AM PDT
Jon F. Bell says:
Way too many, I get tired of buying a game twice. I'm trying to be more organized :)

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 4:49:19 AM PDT
I thought you didn't need the disc for THQ games like CoH and DoW.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2009 8:47:21 AM PDT
H. Le says:
L.T. Hagen,

I've lost 2 keycodes in the past 10 years or so. Since then, what I do is take a fine tip Sharpie and write the keycodes on the disc itself. For disk with dark colors like NWN2, I use write the codes on a small stickers and affix it to the disk. However, the stickers is not neccesary. Use red sharpie on a black background and you can still read the codes by tilting the disc slightly. No more problems since then; and no need to looks for illegal cracks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2009 4:31:52 PM PDT
L. T. Hagen says:
I believe that you are correct that THQ does not require the disk after installation. I reinstalled my system about four months ago (new cpu and motherboard). I figured I would just re-install my games later. So hopefully I will find those.
I get lazy and end up stacking the CD/DVD that is required to play the game. This system broke down when I moved about 10 months ago. Now if have cd's with no keys or keys with no cd's.
I am trying some d2d games games during the 5 dollar specails. Not a bad price and less frustrating then trying to find cd's in old storage boxes from the move. But I don't know how they are when I need to re-install when I replace my computer.

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 10:21:52 PM PDT
None. It is STUPID to pay $30-$50 for a game then not put it where you will be able to find the key.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2009 11:00:42 PM PDT
Oh, how is D2D? I've been using Steam for a little less than a year now, and they have great deals usually. Do the D2D games require online activation everytime you play? And how are they delivered? Is it just a DL from the site, or do they have a client you download to sort the games?

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 12:54:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2009 12:54:42 AM PDT
None. I keep all the boxes, instruction manuals, and jewel cases to every single game that I buy. This is how I end up filling my bookshelves with game boxes instead of actual books.

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 2:40:06 AM PDT
A long, LONG time ago (1998 or 1999), my brother and I had StarCraft, but no code for it. We got it from one of our cousins who had it, and I can't recall if we ahd the key code and lost it, or if he never gave us the code. Anyway, we had a perfectly legal disc, but were unable to play. So instead of hacking, we did the logical thing...

...and created a random code for it when installing. I don't know how many tries it took us to come up with a random one that worked, but my brother eventually got it, and we were happily killing space bugs and space elves for years to come. As far as I remember, that's the only CD key I've ever "lost" or not had. I generally make a habit, when I buy the box, to keep it. CDs are kept in a CD book, but the boxes have the manuals and codes in them.

I still have the TIE Fighter box...that's probably my oldest one right now.

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 6:38:39 AM PDT
deoren says:
I've lost a few games years ago (mainly console, but a few PC games) by loaning them out (that goes with loaning anything though). I haven't lost any of the keys because I keep the originals and boxes stored away.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2009 9:02:51 AM PDT
M. Nelson says:
I keep all my boxes etc also, though we have seperate bookshelves for our games and our books (and our pnp/minature gaming supplies). Which is how we ended up with some 20+ bookcases and growing...

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 12:50:50 PM PDT
Etowahdoc says:
none at the moment *knock on wood*. I keep all my PC game as well as console game cases in boxes. I've been gaming on PC and console since 1993 so I have quite a few boxes full of games lol I would have to say the oldest game box I have is X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter. I do have a copy of X-Wing, which was my first computer game, but my mother threw away the original box when I got it back in 1993, thinking I didn't need it :( I miss that box

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 5:13:53 PM PDT
deoren says:
Yeah, I wish I had kept more of my game boxes. Specifically the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate 2 ones. :|

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 10:57:24 PM PDT
I made a file on my computer and i put all my codes in the file when i install them and also the directory i installed it to.

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 9:17:48 AM PDT
Michael Bare says:
Just recently was my first. I just bought SWAT 3 used and lost the key the next day : (

I used to memorize cd keys (including a 25-digit Red Alert 2 key that I still remember & sometimes use as an impenetrable password for online accounts), but that was when I only owned about 4 games :P

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 10:34:06 AM PDT
S. Sigle says:
I simply created a file with every key I had in it, I would add to the file with new games, and would back up the file on a disc and a flash drive (originally I backed it up on a zip drive) this way if I do loose something I always have it.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 10:07:31 AM PDT
Geno says:
The only game I lost the key code to was Diablo 2. I was lucky and that Blizzard has a key code generator on the site so I can play the game still.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 2:10:54 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
I have lost a few. Such a bad idea from companies using keycodes from a customer stand point. Using them doesn't stop piracy anyway.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 2:43:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 31, 2011 9:24:33 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 2:52:50 PM PDT
worse case use a no-cd crack, or key code crack/gen

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 2:55:02 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
I have had to do that for my Diablo 2 and expansion till i found it again.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 1:51:57 AM PDT
Zero.

A: I keep all of my boxes and manuals.

B: I have a .txt file where I type in all of my CD keys, and I copy it to all of my external HDDs, every PC in the house, and a couple of flash drives.

I ALMOST lost my Diablo 2 key. For that game, the key is printed on a white sticker on the case. Over the years, that sticker has faded to being almost illegible. Seeing that a while back was what led me to typing all of my keys into that file.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 1:53:40 AM PDT
It helps to prevent people from playing online with legitimate customers, if done properly.

A person who didn't pay for the game has nothing to lose by trolling everyone else until he's banned. If he can even be banned at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 10:54:08 AM PDT
ur a hoarder
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PC Game forum (682 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PC Game forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions